All smiles for Vanessa Mae despite violinist finishing LAST on Olympic skiing debut

webfact

All smiles for Vanessa Mae despite violinist finishing LAST on Olympic skiing debut
By MALCOLM FOLLEY

article-2561900-034106CF0000044D-244_634
Brave: The musician has said the chance to participate in the Olympics was worth the risk of injury

SOCHI: -- She arrived at these Olympics as Vanessa Mae, a classical violinist invited to dine with Vladimir Putin at the gala dinner on the eve of these Games.

On Tuesday, she finished them as Vanessa Vanakorn, the slowest skier at these Olympics.

With visibility far from perfect for the Ladies’ Giant Slalom, she skied the second - and final run - of her Olympic career with a gentle, carefully-plotted route between the flag poles denoting the course.

At 5ft 3in, she looked a diminutive doll-like figure compared to the athletic and muscular women for whom this sport is a profession.

As Miss Vanakorn crossed the line she threw her arms aloft; and, presumably, transformed herself back to being Vanessa Mae.

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/winterolympics/article-2561900/WINTER-OLYMPICS-2014-All-smiles-British-violinist-Vanessa-Mae-despite-finishing-dead-Giant-Slalom.html

-- Daily Mail 2014-02-19

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think she is even a Thai citizen. She can't speak Thai and grew up in the U.K. and got to the Olympics just because of her looks and tenuous connection to Thailand, it is really disrespectful that she was allowed to compete with real atheletes who have trained a better part of their lives to achieve this goal.

She has British citizenship etc courtesy of her step father. Years ago she did a concert tour under the title ' China Girl ' and now re-discovers her Thai heritage for the Olympics.

I don't know how involved the Thai Olympic Committee was in this but so far haven't spoken to a single Thai who knows who she is. I do understand the lack of interest in the Winter Olympics though.

I remember only too well the disgraceful Zola Budd situation when the British Olympic Committee simply grovelled to get her to compete since Sth. Africa was banned at the time.

She was given a passport because her father was English, she won nothing and when the games were over went straight back to Sth. Africa.

• Like 2

I don't think she is even a Thai citizen. She can't speak Thai and grew up in the U.K. and got to the Olympics just because of her looks and tenuous connection to Thailand, it is really disrespectful that she was allowed to compete with real atheletes who have trained a better part of their lives to achieve this goal.

Nothing disrespectful at all. I think you should look at the offical olympic website to get an understanding about what exactly the olympic ethic and ideal is. One thing it is not supposed to be is an elitist sports competion for those who strive to succeed for a big paycheck from endorsements.

As I understand it she has a Thai parent and dual citizenship so is entitled to compete for Thailand. Plenty of countries bring in ringers with no connection at all to that country, give them a passport and let them compete.

canman - don't you dare call it an "elitist sports competition" - You'll have the UDD / red shirts all over it with cries of 'double standards'

Edited by jonclark
  • Like 1

Same same, so if a British expat live in Thailand, children all born in Thailand and goes to Bangkok Patana School in Bangkok, should NOT be allowed a British Citizen? Com on.

She did not cheat. She met the rules and qualified. Someone have to be last in every games.

• Like 1

Making a mockery of the sport, the serious athletes, and the Olympics, not to mention dragging Thailand to be last.

People always using Thailand when they can't cut it in their own countries.

Absolute rubbish. She is qualified to represent Thailand, has trained for years to achieve this, did her best. There is no shame in coming last..in fact, it is a time-honoured tradition at the Olympics that the person coming last gets as much of a cheer from the crowd as the winner, celebrating the efforts in even getting that far. Well done, Vanessa Mae !!

Trained years during family vacations at posh ski resorts. Any serious recreational skier could qualify for Thailand at B class. Just another personal attention story. Makes her only other compatriot Sucharitakul look like a joke. Why not represent the UK? Leave real aspiring Thai athletes for real Thais.

Stick to the violin.

• Like 1

Making a mockery of the sport, the serious athletes, and the Olympics, not to mention dragging Thailand to be last.

Both posts complete and utter tripe. The Olympics is/was for everybody, and for anyone to get off their fat ass and enter (they DO have to pass a minimum time trial standard to be allowed to participate), then good on them. She has put in a great deal of training for this which is no mean feat in between her music career. I guess if there was an olympic sport for procrastinating whilst sat at a computer with a large bag of crisps and 6 cans of beer a night you two would be in top medal position.

She is a Thai citizen and got to the Olympics because she went through the trials and passed. Nothing to do with good looks (but what a bonus she has them!). All a bit like Winter Olympic teams from any other country without snow, in that competition for a team place is not going to be that tough, but non the less you have to pass a minimum international standard to get in to represent a nation.

I bet you two are the kind of folks that think the driver in grid position number 21 in a grand prix is a sh*t driver, yet the time difference between pole and 21 might be 1.2 seconds. Get off back to training then, another bag of crisps and some buttered toast with a few nice cups of sugary tea.

Comparing this to a grand prix? You've got to be kidding. Now pass over those crisps, you're hogging them.

Absolute rubbish. She is qualified to represent Thailand, has trained for years to achieve this, did her best. There is no shame in coming last..in fact, it is a time-honoured tradition at the Olympics that the person coming last gets as much of a cheer from the crowd as the winner, celebrating the efforts in even getting that far. Well done, Vanessa Mae !!

That's a good summation of "Thainess"

• Like 1