Green bottles on trucks

mallmagician

post-29383-13927827176481_thumb.jpg

For the past week or so I've been noticing these bright green bottles hanging from the back of trucks and wagons.

Now, I've seen many different things hanging from trucks in the past 10 years, but I'm seeing a lot of this near luminous green bottles recently.

Now maybe it's simply my human pattern seeking nature, but just wondered if someone could shed some light on what they're for? And why bright green?

been wondering the same thing myself. a lot of Thais on facebook are also asking if anyone knows what it means...

So if it's not just be noticing it, it must be something new.

Can't be the dogs thing, why protect only rear corners of the vehicle?

Unlikely to be the new Cd reflector, as they tend to be on sidecars and trailers.

I have only seen them on trucks and bigger vehicles. The probably wouldn't fit smaller vehicles, so maybe that tells us nothing.

I had two thoughts:-

A primitive device to see if your vehicle is overloaded. If the bottle touches the ground, you're not gonna make it over speed bumps. Etc. unlikely that though, as they seem to be specifically this bright green.

I've seen some trucks with upto 4 on them.

Or, could it be politically related? Conspiracy theory. Hehe. If I have a green bottle, I'm secretly a member of this group or that group. All very hush hush.

been wondering the same thing myself. a lot of Thais on facebook are also asking if anyone knows what it means...

So if it's not just be noticing it, it must be something new.

Can't be the dogs thing, why protect only rear corners of the vehicle?

Unlikely to be the new Cd reflector, as they tend to be on sidecars and trailers.

I have only seen them on trucks and bigger vehicles. The probably wouldn't fit smaller vehicles, so maybe that tells us nothing.

I had two thoughts:-

A primitive device to see if your vehicle is overloaded. If the bottle touches the ground, you're not gonna make it over speed bumps. Etc. unlikely that though, as they seem to be specifically this bright green.

I've seen some trucks with upto 4 on them.

Or, could it be politically related? Conspiracy theory. Hehe. If I have a green bottle, I'm secretly a member of this group or that group. All very hush hush.

It's been going on for the last month or two, started shortly after Mountain Dew was introduced and seems to be growing. I think it's just a fad, a way to be noticed in traffic inspired by the almost luminescent nature of the Mountain Dew bottles. As mentioned by others, the same reason that have people hanging CD's from the back of their vehicles.

As for them only being on bigger vehicles, I saw one hanging from the back of a samlor the other day tongue.png

Sophon

Luminous objects are objects that generate their own light. For objects to be luminous they must have their own source of energy.

Flourescent reflects light.

That's why I said "almost luminescent nature" and probably why the OP said "near luminous". The bottles are so brightly coloured that they almost seem to be emitting light.

Sophon

• Like 1

When on Koh Chang last month I noticed that almost all the local trucks had them hanging off the back, many of the beach bars were using strings of them hanging as decoration, but no one could/would tell me where they were getting them. It's good that this thread opened here to fill in the blanks!

• 2 months later...

I see a lot of these in Bangkok on tuk tuks, trucks taxis anything and my enquiries have got the answer that they reflect the light at nite time. Hmmmmm really? Engineers have designed reflectors to reflect light but here in Thailand snot tale will do better. TIT

Because the bottles are bright they are attractive to thai people. By putting them on the back of your tuk tuk, bicycle, songtao or whatever you are making yourself more visible and safer in thai thinking. Putting a light on your bike or the cargo carrying sidecar of your motorbike isn't seen as worthwhile however from a safety perspective. It's the same logic that a few old cd's dangling from the back of your cart is better than a 50 baht flashing red LED light.

There are so many of these bottles about as the is a big promotional push to get the drink established. The drinks were given away free during songkran around the moat. The bottle is more popular than drink which I doubt is something Mountain Dew is proud off.

• Like 2