Well Done Cheltenham Town

Congratulations and well done to Cheltenham Town who beat Grimsby 1-0 today in the league Two playoffs to secure promotion into League One.

Boss John Ward hailed his Cheltenham side as they beat Grimsby 1-0 in the play-off final to secure promotion into League One.

"I'm just delighted for the lads - they thoroughly deserved it," Ward said.

"I've got sympathy for Grimsby, they are a quality side and it shows the enormity of what we have achieved that we beat them.

"But next season we'll be playing the likes of Nottingham Forest and Bristol City and that's just incredible."

Interview: Cheltenham boss John Ward

Ward insisted his side will look forward to the challenge of moving into League One next season.

"I think the lads will really relish it," he said.

"I'm not going to make too many signings in the summer so I'll be giving them another chance to show what they can do at the next level.

"We're only a small club and had to make a lot of free transfers last year so it's amazing what we've achieved this season."

Cheltenham's match-winner Steve Guinan said: "It's a fantastic feeling and a dream come true to be able to score in a final like this.

"It was tough to then miss the penalty but I'm just delighted we won."

Midfielder Grant McCann added: "It's unbelievable for a team like us to achieve what we have.

"To be fair, I always thought from the early days of the season that we could have a good run and we've done it. It's a great achievement."

BBC Sport

More here.. Grimsby 0-1 Cheltenham

totster :o

That makes Cheltenham the TOP TEAM in the area now what with Swindon and Oxford being relegated.

Well done Cheltenham...who would evere have thought it?

When you consider they only got promoted out of the Conference into the Football league in 1999... they ain't done too bad....

totster :o

I hope they can stay there. I like Cheltenham as a place and I can remember the battle they gave Reading in the FA Cup in 98 when they were still a non-league side we drew at Whadden Road and only won the replay 2-1...I think your star man was one Clive Walker if I am not mistaken..since then I have always looked for their results

Hope they can stay up

I used to have a mate, Steve Benton used to play for cheltenham. Anyway they are all big girls blouses up that way :o

Sueley U are not jealous DB...........

My experiences in Bristol led me to believe (with you as the exeption) that the town is full of INBREDS..sorry to say but Bristol SUCKS BIG TIME

No offence DB

I used to have a mate, Steve Benton used to play for cheltenham. Anyway they are all big girls blouses up that way :o

My experiences in Bristol led me to believe (with you as the exeption) that the town is full of INBREDS..sorry to say but Bristol SUCKS BIG TIME

No offence DB

:D:D

nice one TP

No offence DB

:D Now i can laugh at that as my heritage is Oxford/Newcastle based. Dad from Oxford and my mum is a geordie. :D

Added to the fact i was born in Wales and have lived in Gloucestershire all my life, and yes where i live in Bristol is classed as south Gloucestershire :D So say what you like about inbreds, i would tend to agree with you. There are infact only 2 families in Bristol :D

As for you Bojangles, at least i have had friends to lose, your still looking for your first :D you friend virgin :D give me 1000 baht and i will be your friend :D

Here is a picture of Steve just in case you are interested, and i do believe he played in the fa cup that you were talking about with Reading :D

stevebentonarchive017by.jpg

No offence DB

:D Now i can laugh at that as my heritage is Oxford/Newcastle based. Dad from Oxford and my mum is a geordie.

Added to the fact i was born in Wales and have lived in Gloucestershire all my life, and yes where i live in Bristol is classed as south Gloucestershire :D So say what you like about inbreds, i would tend to agree with you. There are infact only 2 families in Bristol :D

As for you Bojangles, at least i have had friends to lose, your still looking for your first :D you friend virgin :D give me 1000 baht and i will be your friend :D

Here is a picture of Steve just in case you are interested, and i do believe he played in the fa cup that you were talking about with Reading :D

stevebentonarchive017by.jpg

If I was impolite I would say I never saw his face as he was always running back towards his own goal... .. But I can't as they played well above their league position that day... in fact the Reading Fans saluted them as the fans sang thier songs about playing Sutton United the following Saturday, when we were up against Bolton Wanderers.

Well they wont be playing Sutton next year... Oxford United will though :D