New MOT requirements?

For the past four years (my car is now around eleven years old), I have had to go to Dan Autos for an MOT.

This has always consisted of taking a pencil rubbing of the chassis number which they attach to the 'log book'.

I then went to the transport dept. near Nathon for the new tax certificate and insurance and that was it.

This time at Dan Autos, there was a lot more checking as to the car's condition, attaching it to a computer to test for CO emissions as well as putting both axles on a rolling road to test steering and braking ability. (They also took the high tech pencil rubbing of the chassis number).smile.png

Fortunately my car passed. I think the charge was around 200 baht.

Just a heads up for anyone needing to do the same with an old car.

Strangely they had no interest as to whether or not the lights worked or not (I know my number plate light doesn't work), or whether the dip/full beam alignment was correct which I would have thought essential, as I am often blinded by incorrectly aligned headlamps all over Thailand.

Also, there was no tyre tread depth checked either, typical Thais, only half a job done to help make the roads safer.

• Like 1

Is Dan Auto the only place to take them? I promised never to go back there after they ripped me off for 20,000 baht.

I mentioned earlier there are 2 testing stations on the way to the land transport office. One at the beginning of the road & one towards the end

( original one ).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706078-new-mot-requirements/#entry7472021

The MOT requirements have been in place for a long time it sounds like they have just decided to actually do the tests rather than just the paperwork. I get my new sticker every year, along with th required inspection paperwork and renew my insurance at my insurance agent's office. He gets the VIN number off the vehicle with the pencil and tape, I pay him for everything and come back three days later and all is done. The truck is 16 years old and has never been inside an inspection station, but is well maintained. I know that it's supporting corruption, but that's just the way it is here. The only place in town with the "inspection" sign outside closed years ago, lack of business!

Edited by wayned