Phangan - Malaysia border run

There's a couple of threads on this, but not sure they're up to date.

I live on Phangan and I need to activate my last visa entry by Feb 28th. I have a broken leg and can't walk much (50 meters is a lot, I'm only beginning to walk now after 7 weeks and still need a crutch) and I need a cheap border run after spending 50K on hospital bills, bike damage etc. after my accident. I'd like a reasonably comfortable, hassle-free border run - catch a morning ferry from Thong Sala, board a bus to Had Yai, change to a minivan (hopefully without walking much), return to Had Yai, spend the night in a clean but cheap place and return to Phangan the next day on a safe & comfy bus.

How much walking will I have to do and how can I minimise it? Can you recommend a decent place in Had Yai?

Thanks wai2.gif

Check with Phantip or Raja ferries, Seatran for a ferry, bus combo ticket to Hat Yai or even ask for a ticket to border (go directly to their offices, rather than an agent... I am not sure where Phantip office is in Tongsala.... blink.png

I know from Samui, Raja ferry and bus is 480 baht, on a large bus, to HY... Perhaps a little more from KP?

So long since I did that trip, by bus, I cannot remember if hotels around the bus station in HY...

Perhaps some can help with that part? .... I would imagine there would be. wink.png

It will pay to ask around in HY for mini bus service, usually they are all close together .... Assuming no direct bus to Border

Thanks Jim. I'll post in the Southern forum, too.

@PoorSucker

That's what I did last time in December, but those flights are only cheap if booked early. I booked my Dec flights in September for ~3,000 baht return trip. For this border run, I would have to shell out 2-3x more. I didn't book early because... see below. My insurance company refused to pay and the bike owner says it can't be repaired so I've been bleeding money while work has dried up when I've been unable to work. I can work now, but it takes time to get the assignments rolling in again. Hence I need to save money. I may end up taking the train though. Not ideal, but less walking.

@John1

Yeah, I'll tape my leg so people see it's injured. Wheelchair would be a bit over the top tongue.png

@notmyself

I did. I had my accident on Jan 2nd and had been stamped in until Feb 2nd which I would normally have extended by one month. I got a paper from my doc (in Thai so no idea what it said, I asked for 60-90 days extension) and asked my Spanish friend to do the extension for me via her Thai connections. Between her mañana, mañana and their mai pen rai, it took them several weeks to get my passport back to me, I only got it five days ago. That is when I found out my visa had only been extended by 40 days, until March 14th. I could stay until March 14th but then I would have to get a new visa; I have one entry left on my triple entry but it has to be used by Feb 28th. It's less hassle to do a border run next week than to do a visa run in two weeks' time.

I have no idea why I only got 40 days, I doubt even god knows.

Edited by AngThong
  • Like 2

Which insurance company do you use and why did they refuse to pay?

www.worldnomads.com. I use them because I'm not "settled" in Thailand, I'm here on tourist visa, won't be getting any other visas anytime soon and I may end up moving somewhere else. So it's a travel insurance, not a health/life insurance.

They wouldn't pay because my driving licence only covers cars, not bikes. When I acquired my original licence in Sweden 11 years ago, it covered both, but it expired last year when I was in the UK, so I swapped it for a UK licence. Turns out the UK licence only covers cars, hence no insurance cover. I guess I should have thought about that.

I'll need to find a new insurance company, but I guess none will cover bike accidents with my current licence. I guess I can't get a bike licence in Thailand as I'm not a resident here, so I'd need to go back to Europe etc... Or rent a car instead.

I'm leaning towards taking the night train to Padang Besar, then catching a minivan to Hat Yai & bus back to Phangan. I know I'll be OK on the first leg since I've done it before (very little walking), I won't need a place to stay in Hat Yai and I should be able to make it back to Phangan the second day (train should be in Padang Besar 7:55 Thai time).

Just wondering how far the rail border station is from wherever I can catch a ride to Hat Yai?

I'll need to find a new insurance company, but I guess none will cover bike accidents with my current licence. I guess I can't get a bike licence in Thailand as I'm not a resident here, so I'd need to go back to Europe etc... Or rent a car instead.

Getting a motorbike license is easy in Thailand though perhaps not in your present condition. Insurance can indeed be an issue even if you have Thai insurance which is a nightmare when on a tourist visa. I'm covered by 'free' HSBC travel insurance because I have a premier account and also by a company called http://www.insureandgo.com/ who I have a platinum account with. I'm not covered with either after 3 months in one country but I do have in writing that I am covered so long as I leave the country (Thailand) and then come back regardless of the time period outside of any particular country. I have to do a boarder bounce every 90 days in any case so I am covered. After falling off a building in Vietnam in 2006 only to find out I am not covered which cost me 30k (GBP) I look at the small print and get things in writing! That being said, neither cover me for motorbike accidents even if I had a Thai license that I do not have as I use a saleng which is illegal in any case. I have in effect set up my own insurance company with HSBC so because of this with a separate account I can access from any bank in Thailand (only) to the tune of one million Baht in cash simply by presenting my passport. Aside from what I lose in interest on savings the annual cost is around 20000 Baht per annum for the whole lot.

• Like 1

@notmyself

That's plenty of dough, never had that kind of money in my life. If I can get enough work to finance it, I'll probably look into renting/buying a car. I know there's a bunch of international insurance companies offering health and life insurance policies globally, but they seemed plenty expensive last time I looked and I'm not sure what kind of cover I would actually get. I don't have a single positive experience from any insurance policy I've ever held (apart from one piece of furniture covered by home insurance), savings would seem a far better option if I didn't have debts.

• Like 1

20,000 Baht a year. Push comes to shove I have private heath insurance in the UK where I am from which is 2k (GBP) but they are not going to fly me back there or pay for anything at all in Thailand. Well, there is a medication clause which will pay out 100 quid a year (5k Baht). Failing that I have the NHS!

• Like 1

Which insurance company do you use and why did they refuse to pay?

www.worldnomads.com. I use them because I'm not "settled" in Thailand, I'm here on tourist visa, won't be getting any other visas anytime soon and I may end up moving somewhere else. So it's a travel insurance, not a health/life insurance.

They wouldn't pay because my driving licence only covers cars, not bikes. When I acquired my original licence in Sweden 11 years ago, it covered both, but it expired last year when I was in the UK, so I swapped it for a UK licence. Turns out the UK licence only covers cars, hence no insurance cover. I guess I should have thought about that.

I am pretty sure you can get the form despite being on a tourist visa, really just depends how the immigration officer is feeling.

Thanks for the info about why they didn't pay up. I am trying to decide on a policy myself.

• Like 1

@notmyself

That's plenty of dough, never had that kind of money in my life. If I can get enough work to finance it, I'll probably look into renting/buying a car. I know there's a bunch of international insurance companies offering health and life insurance policies globally, but they seemed plenty expensive last time I looked and I'm not sure what kind of cover I would actually get. I don't have a single positive experience from any insurance policy I've ever held (apart from one piece of furniture covered by home insurance), savings would seem a far better option if I didn't have debts.

Buying a car is definitely a better plan than riding a motorbike and hoping to repair yourself later.

• Like 1

20,000 Baht a year. Push comes to shove I have private heath insurance in the UK where I am from which is 2k (GBP) but they are not going to fly me back there or pay for anything at all in Thailand. Well, there is a medication clause which will pay out 100 quid a year (5k Baht). Failing that I have the NHS!

Oh, I thought you said you had a million baht in an HSBC account. If I travel back to Sweden or Finland (I have both passports) at any time, I can register myself as a resident (quick & easy) and receive free healthcare, but I don't want to go back. I might even have access to the NHS since I think I'm still officially a tax resident in the UK (it's where I lived before coming here).

20K a year doesn't sound too bad. I could maybe pay even a bit more, but I want to be 200 % sure they will pay if shit happens - that is a lot more important than the price of the insurance policy, up to a point.

• Like 1

Oh, I thought you said you had a million baht in an HSBC account. If I travel back to Sweden or Finland (I have both passports) at any time, I can register myself as a resident (quick & easy) and receive free healthcare, but I don't want to go back. I might even have access to the NHS since I think I'm still officially a tax resident in the UK (it's where I lived before coming here).

20K a year doesn't sound too bad. I could maybe pay even a bit more, but I want to be 200 % sure they will pay if shit happens - that is a lot more important than the price of the insurance policy, up to a point.

The million Baht is not health related, it's in case I have a road accident and need to stump up a lot of cash ASAP.

20k a year is damn good I think and it gives me very good coverage but there are limitations such as the 3 month limit but that is not an issue at present because I have to leave and re-enter the Kingdom every 90 days anyway. Don't know what I will do in 3 years time when I only have to do 90 day reports rather than leave the country

Sorry, way off topic.

Given your current predicament, it may pay to use a same day visa run service so you will not be faced with long walks. Doing it via Ranong and the Andaman club could be an option but I have no details to offer on that.

• Like 1

I think I'll go with the night train to Padang Besar, take a minivan to Hat Yai the following morning and hope to catch a bus to Phangan. If that fails, I guess I'll spend the night in Surat (I won't go on that night boat).

Had a decent run I suppose, 30 hours all in all.

- Left Phangan at 5pm, train from Bangkok to Butterworth was on schedule - boarded at around 1.30 am. Lots of waiting as usual, TTC's audio lectures on the history of philosophy kept me company on my phone.

- Arrived to border on schedule (7.55 am Thai time), stamped out, bought a return ticket to Hat Yai for 57 baht. Friendly immigration staff, seemed only slightly surprised at my doing this border run by train.

- Stamped back in along with the passengers of the Butterworth - Hat Yai train that arrived a bit later, 8.45 am maybe.

- This train was supposed to continue to Hat Yai at 9.45 Thai time but they pulled the train and eventually a new train showed up at 10.15 am.

- Was in Hat yai an hour later, was told the big bus to Phangan was full (quoted price 850 baht) and my only option to make it there the same day would be minibus. Was quoted 1,200 baht to Phangan, I declined and walked around to check my options.

- Because of my injured leg and fear of running out of time, I opted for a minibus to Surat Thani for 400 baht. An uneventful drive in standard conditions i.e. driving way too fast with no seatbelts and Thai karaoke "music" blasting at full volume. One toilet stop. Took 4,5 hours, leg enjoyed it even less than I did.

- In Surat 4.30 pm, was dropped off at a place I didn't recognise, the driver told me I can catch a taxi to Don Sak from there. There was a sign saying Don Sak and people waiting. I asked the young lady at the counter, she said Samui only.

- Ended up taking a taxi to Don Sak. The last Phangan ferry would leave at 6pm, I didn't want to miss it and ended up paying far more than I was comfortable with (600 baht), though haggled it down from 1,000 baht. I know there's the night boat as well but I prefer to avoid it if at all possible.

- Was 15 minutes late to Don Sak (6.15 pm), fortunately Raja were even more late, we eventually left at 6.50 pm.

I ended up paying 1,200 baht for Hat Yai - Phangan anyway, ever so slightly gutted. Should be half of that.

Okayish all in all, didn't have to walk too much, got some sleep but ended up paying too much (2,400 baht) and riding one of those minibuses isn't my idea of fun.

Edited by AngThong

Doesn't sound too bad and you're back safe and sound without having to pay a night for a room.

You've got 60 days now before you have to do anything, by which time you will be back on your feet. [Edit] Certainly hope so because next time you need a visa!

Edited by notmyself

Doesn't sound too bad and you're back safe and sound without having to pay a night for a room.

You've got 60 days now before you have to do anything, by which time you will be back on your feet. [Edit] Certainly hope so because next time you need a visa!

Thanks. It was OK. Hopefully there'll be cheap flights to Penang next time, which is at the end of May (2+1 months) - though I'll have to pop over to Nathon to get my extension at some point. I'm driving again, which is a relief as I no longer have to rely on anyone else for anything. Hate that :P

Thanks. It was OK. Hopefully there'll be cheap flights to Penang next time, which is at the end of May (2+1 months) - though I'll have to pop over to Nathon to get my extension at some point. I'm driving again, which is a relief as I no longer have to rely on anyone else for anything. Hate that tongue.png

Need to do a bounce myself to activate my last entry (March 9th) Spent quite a while trying justify the extra cost involved if I flew to Penang and back with a 2 night visit. I really couldn't justify it until I got a wedding invite for the landlady's daughter for 7th March. I've been to 5-6 wedding over the years and I dislike them with a passion. They also end up costing me lots of money which is not really an issue if the wedding is for people I like but this is not one of those!

End of the day I will HAVE to go to the wedding if I am here on Samui so I booked a return to Penang (firefly) 6th - 8th March, works out day perfect for getting the most out of my triple entry. Ballpark figure is that I will save 10k of thereabouts.

• Like 1

I think I'll go with the night train to Padang Besar, take a minivan to Hat Yai the following morning and hope to catch a bus to Phangan. If that fails, I guess I'll spend the night in Surat (I won't go on that night boat).

I think some kind of train journey makes the most sense in terms of minimal movement but those long-ish train trips aren't that cheap, for not too much more I am sure you could fly. You got to factor in hotel costs, food, drink, etc for the whole visa run too

I think some kind of train journey makes the most sense in terms of minimal movement but those long-ish train trips aren't that cheap, for not too much more I am sure you could fly. You got to factor in hotel costs, food, drink, etc for the whole visa run too

As this was a border run, not a visa run, all I needed was a stamp. As explained above, I ended up paying 2,400 baht for the trip, which is a bit too much. 1,800 would have been OK. The cheapest flights I've been able to get for Samui-Penang were 3,000 plus hostel 2 nights.