UN concerned about political violence in Thailand

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It really is quite touching how the red apologists here suddenly latch onto the UN pronouncement rather akin to the proverbial drowning man clutching at straws. This is more especially poignant since the government and the red klingons usually treat international opinion much like a costipated owl.... (they just can't give a hoot).... Unless of course they are desperately seeking approbation and support when they know there is a declining amount to be gained domestically.

Is there any chance that they might also acknowledge the international observations as to how corrupt the rice scheme is?I Sorry just a momentary mental abberation, but stranger things have happened!

Honestly I think that most people could care less what the U.N. says, and BTW the only ones grasping at straws here are suthep and his merry band of fascist hooligans as their days are numbered smile.png

Suthep and his merry band of fascists???? Now who is clueless? Suthep,...fascist?...maybe. A corrupt and self serving man, yes. Thaksin, fascist?, most definitely. The followers of either one...fascist? Are you serious? I think the followers of both camps are ordinary peeps wanting a piece of the pie. Ya know, guys like you and me who live a simple existence without extravagance. These wars are not ours, they are of the power elite. I hate to choose the lesser of two evils, but if you have a historical knowledge of what Reagan/Thatcher did in the 1980's, then you'll understand Thaksin and his agenda, therefore you'd want to get that bloodsucker out of Thailand. Red...Yellow...same same but different.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair I think the argument here lies else-where, Kiev, These Thai protests only have to escalate up a notch and that's the sort of end result we will be watching, 1992 re-born.

To be fair what is going on in Kiev is a popular uprising supported by the majority of Ukrainians, I don't think that you will see Bangkok burning and the government run out of town like in Kiev, because long before anything like that happens you will see the Thai silent majority coming in from the countryside and running suthep and his gang out of their capitol wink.png The ripple effects of what has been going on since early November has finally touched Thais all around the country and they are getting fed up. At first I think that most Thais just saw this as "the idiots " in Bangkok acting up again, but now they are getting quite perturbed since it is begining to effect them and they are wondering why it took the government so long to use the police to round up the organizers and clean up the streets clap2.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25> I still think that by the ides of March we will see suthep and his inner circle in jail and the majority of the protestors will be disbursed and head back home down south thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Some have very short memories ---------I seem to recall Bangkok being set on fire ---------Can anyone remind me who the arsonists were ------ If I recall correctly they wore red shirts !

It really is quite touching how the red apologists here suddenly latch onto the UN pronouncement rather akin to the proverbial drowning man clutching at straws. This is more especially poignant since the government and the red klingons usually treat international opinion much like a costipated owl.... (they just can't give a hoot).... Unless of course they are desperately seeking approbation and support when they know there is a declining amount to be gained domestically.

Is there any chance that they might also acknowledge the international observations as to how corrupt the rice scheme is?I Sorry just a momentary mental abberation, but stranger things have happened!

Honestly I think that most people could care less what the U.N. says, and BTW the only ones grasping at straws here are suthep and his merry band of fascist hooligans as their days are numbered 20x20xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.

Suthep and his merry band of fascists???? Now who is clueless? Suthep,...fascist?...maybe. A corrupt and self serving man, yes. Thaksin, fascist?, most definitely. The followers of either one...fascist? Are you serious? I think the followers of both camps are ordinary peeps wanting a piece of the pie. Ya know, guys like you and me who live a simple existence without extravagance. These wars are not ours, they are of the power elite. I hate to choose the lesser of two evils, but if you have a historical knowledge of what Reagan/Thatcher did in the 1980's, then you'll understand Thaksin and his agenda, therefore you'd want to get that bloodsucker out of Thailand. Red...Yellow...same same but different.

If you are really for the "ordinary" folks like you say then you should be for elections, your bud suthep is definitely against elections and has an utter disdain for the "ordinary" Thai folks out in the countryside thumbsup.gif I am not an avid Thaksin supporter and agree that there is much corruption and are many shortcomings in the Thai style of Democracy, but suthep is just as corrupt as thaksin is the olny difference is that thaksin is not afraid to let the people vote on what they want wai2.gif

• Like 2

ONHCR is full of crap.

It is taking news bites from government controlled media obviously.

Why are they not asking the question why there is no protection from terrorist attacks from government supporters and police?

Why they expect people to be totally unprotected and at the mercy of over 50 armed attacks with several hundred injusred, and expect them NOT to protect themselves when everyone deserves to protect themselves against violence?

Why there has not been a single investigation ordered or conducted into attacks on protesters (especially including the one they are commenting on)?

Why the police in fact killed unarmed people who were just building fences or leaning against a wall trying to shield themselves from harm. Proving that police indiscriminately shot into unarmed people as a revenge?

If they indeed are unbiased and interested in preserving HUMAN RIGHTS..... Why do they not ask these questions?

So the UN is wrong and you're right? don't think so son.

Your days are numbered.

Democracy will win!

• Like 1

The UN stating the obvious as usual. It happened in 2010 and it happened again this time... it was inevitable.. The only difference this time is that thankfully the protesters were less violent and consequently the response more muted.

The UN is a total waste of time - nobody listens to them as they come out with the same old BS!!!

They don't understand the complexities of situations and mutter meaningless drivel that resolves nothing.

Sack the whole lot of them and tell them to get real jobs!!!

• Like 1

The UN stating the obvious as usual. It happened in 2010 and it happened again this time... it was inevitable.. The only difference this time is that thankfully the protesters were less violent and consequently the response more muted.

The UN is a total waste of time - nobody listens to them as they come out with the same old BS!!!

They don't understand the complexities of situations and mutter meaningless drivel that resolves nothing.

The UN is not the world police they are there to encourage dialogue not violence. Its a platform on neutral ground for nations to talk and has helped avoid many conflicts and aided many peace processes. When on occasion it is asked in then they do what they can but are restricted in articles of what it is allowed to do. Hence the term peace keeping force.

Now you might think they are a waste of space but then again you probably have no clue about the UN apart from bit articles and a few you tube vids. Nations know the benefit and role of the UN, generally the public havnt a clue.

It is in fact the best the world has as a neutral ground. Without it since its creation there would have been many more conflicts, FACT.

That is real lives saved, hardly a waste of time.

Right, they have told people to behave themselves and to stop killing each other, citing the dangers to innocent civilians.

Let's see if have listened. If they have, then everyone should put away their weapons and there will be no more killings, bombs, grenades or guns fired, agreed??

We shall see what this statement by the UN achieves - no need to wait as I can tell you what, NAFF ALL!!!

I put these wasters one rung above Amnesty International and Liberty!!

The big issue all along has been the government's handling of the protests and I would include the CMPO and the police in that.

They have given mixed messages. Tear gas one minute, bottles of water the next, allowing protesters in the next.

CMPO has the wrong people running it. Thaksin's cousin, one if the moist despised drunks in Thailand and the incredibly partisan DSI chief who should himself be up on murder charges.

Regardless of who is guilty, the level of policing and lack of results is shocking. People seem to be able to bring guns, grenades and explosives to protest sites at will.

The lack of leadership from the government when these attacks happen is evidence that they don't know what to do.

I don't know what happens next in this tragic pantomime but it clearly can't continue like this and if the government can't get a grip then somebody else must.

When the next government takes its seat a fully resourced task force needs to get all these weapons off the street. An amnesty for handing them in and life for anyone found carrying

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The UN is not the world police they are there to encourage dialogue not violence. Its a platform on neutral ground for nations to talk and has helped avoid many conflicts and aided many peace processes. When on occasion it is asked in then they do what they can but are restricted in articles of what it is allowed to do. Hence the term peace keeping force.

Now you might think they are a waste of space but then again you probably have no clue about the UN apart from bit articles and a few you tube vids. Nations know the benefit and role of the UN, generally the public havnt a clue.

It is in fact the best the world has as a neutral ground. Without it since its creation there would have been many more conflicts, FACT.

That is real lives saved, hardly a waste of time.

Right, they have told people to behave themselves and to stop killing each other, citing the dangers to innocent civilians.

Let's see if have listened. If they have, then everyone should put away their weapons and there will be no more killings, bombs, grenades or guns fired, agreed??

We shall see what this statement by the UN achieves - no need to wait as I can tell you what, NAFF ALL!!!

I put these wasters one rung above Amnesty International and Liberty!!

Not agreed no, voice of reason and peace is its aim, you dont do that at the end of a gun all the time. please take time to read its mandate http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/operations/pkmandates.shtml

Magic wands do not exist and wars arnt the answer that is why the UN was created, as a buffer to allow an alternative to conflict and if necessary enforce peace and give reason a chance.

As for your opinion of AI you clearly dont know anything about the organisation or the pressure and highlight it brings to the plight of many. Calling liberty a waste of time old son is pathetic. you wouldnt even be here without it.

And you claim to run a school ? bah.gif my god man your about as un suited to education or teaching as anyone ive ever met, what is it a Muslim fundamentalist training ground or something ?

• Like 2

I accept that there is nothing wrong with it's mandate and aims but it will change nothing in this case, so why bother.

Explain to me what differences you think there will be. Suthep is on a mission and some nobody from the UN is going to change the direction of that, plus Chalerm is an out of control violence freak and lives for it so telling him to stop is akin to telling him not to breathe (not a bad idea actually).

They may achieve some things and serve a purpose when they act as peace keepers to stop atrocities from taking place but these statements regarding the situation in Thailand are meaningless and will be ignored by all and sunder.

We have a few Muslim children in our school aged from between 2 - 6 years old but I don't think that it can be described as a Muslim fundamentalist training ground as we only teach them Thai, English and basic maths and do not carry out weapons training or teach them the Koran.

This is what I mean when I say that this statement is irrelevant!!

What jobs would be available for people who are only experienced at shuffling paperwork and writing stern letters.

• Like 2

What jobs would be available for people who are only experienced at shuffling paperwork and writing stern letters.

You've got me there.

I accept that there is nothing wrong with it's mandate and aims but it will change nothing in this case, so why bother.

Explain to me what differences you think there will be. Suthep is on a mission and some nobody from the UN is going to change the direction of that, plus Chalerm is an out of control violence freak and lives for it so telling him to stop is akin to telling him not to breathe (not a bad idea actually).

They may achieve some things and serve a purpose when they act as peace keepers to stop atrocities from taking place but these statements regarding the situation in Thailand are meaningless and will be ignored by all and sunder.

We have a few Muslim children in our school aged from between 2 - 6 years old but I don't think that it can be described as a Muslim fundamentalist training ground as we only teach them Thai, English and basic maths and do not carry out weapons training or teach them the Koran.

It is not upto the UN to dictate only advise it can however cajole and warn and sanction too and in the end if required in extreme circumstances use force to ensure peace. The door is always open to help and with mediation, some countries step through it others ignore it. The job of the UN is to always keep that door open and make it clear it is.

Some patients when sick seek help others refuse to seek it, personally I think Thailand could do with the help preferably by a UN representative of Asian persuasion,

That the UN has even made a statement means things have got peoples attn there, enough to open dialogue in a gentle advisory fashion, it has to begin that way, I can see the government asking before Suthep does and almost certainly they will have to be willing to compromise likely that would include the Shins bowing out, it would need both sides to agree though to at least talks.

Not all conflicts are amenable to mediation. There are some indicators that suggest the potential for effective mediation. First and most importantly, the main conflict parties must be open to trying to negotiate a settlement; second, a mediator must be accepted, credible and well supported; and third, there must be general consensus at the regional and international levels to support the process. When an effective mediation process is hampered, other efforts may be required to contain the conflict or to mitigate the human suffering, but there should be constant efforts to remain engaged so as to identify and seize possible windows of opportunity for mediation in the future.

The situation here is either going to blow up or blow over, it looks increasingly like its not going to blow over without more bloodshed, the question remains does the Thailand need for help or not ? Only Thailand can answer that and at what point does it have to get to before it asks ? if at all.

The UN has just advised at the moment but later if it does deteriorate we will no doubt see it offering mediation or other something similar by other international leaders who are members.Japan perhaps or another ASEAN member of the UN.

it wouldnt be much of a UN if it didnt take any interest and people like to sound off when it says anything but as things turn worse then its a whole different attitude. no one cares to be told they have a problem but once they realise they do most seek help for it if its not possible to deal with alone.

We are a way off from that but are getting closer all the time.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2

It is not upto the UN to dictate only advise. The door is always open to help with mediation, some countries step through it others ignore it. The job of the UN is to always keep that door open and make it clear it is.

Some patients when sick seek help others refuse to seek it, personally I think Thailand could do with the help preferably by a UN representative of Asian persuasion,

That the UN has even made a statement means things have got peoples attn there, enough to open dialogue in a gentle advisory fashion, it has to begin that way, I can see the government asking before Suthep does and almost certainly they will have to be willing to compromise likely that would include the Shins bowing out, it would need both sides to agree though to at least talks.

Not all conflicts are amenable to mediation. There are some indicators that suggest the potential for effective mediation. First and most importantly, the main conflict parties must be open to trying to negotiate a settlement; second, a mediator must be accepted, credible and well supported; and third, there must be general consensus at the regional and international levels to support the process. When an effective mediation process is hampered, other efforts may be required to contain the conflict or to mitigate the human suffering, but there should be constant efforts to remain engaged so as to identify and seize possible windows of opportunity for mediation in the future.

The situation here is either going to blow up or blow over, it looks increasingly like its not going to blow over without more bloodshed, the question remains does the Thailand need for help or not ? Only Thailand can answer that and at what point does it have to get to before it asks ? if at all.

The UN has just advised at the moment but later if it does deteriorate we will no doubt see it offering mediation or other something similar by other international leaders who are members.Japan perhaps or another ASEAN member of the UN.

it wouldnt be much of a UN if it didnt take any interest and people like to sound off when it says anything but as things turn worse then its a whole different attitude. no one cares to be told they have a problem but once they realise they do most seek help for it if its not possible to deal with alone.

I'm sorry englishoak it just ain't gonna happen I'm afraid.

Suthep will talk with no one as he is totally focussed on getting rid of the Shin's (all of them) from politics.

Chalerm won't listen to anyone as he thinks he is the 'top dog', loves all of the publicity and doesn't want anyone else in the limelight to steal his show.

Thaksin (I mean Yingluck) won't entertain the thought of leaving office, which means that Suthep is out of any equation.

So who does that leave to have a nice chat with the UN?

Thailand doesn't listen to outside parties and won't accept help so they (UN) are completely wasting their time and they would be better off turning their attention to the Ukraine and Venezuela as the yanks are coup mongering there and interfering in yet another countries business!! Why doesn't the UN tell America to stop trying to change the world to suit their agenda and sort their own country out, I'm sure they would take notice of what they advise them to do (not)!!

Oh im not saying it will happen either im just saying the option os there, like i said it wont interfere unless it becomes bloody and out of control, then other UN members will try to talk sense first anyway.

i think you miss the point of the UN and we are all aware certain countries can ignore the UN totally without consequence, the US is indeed and Ukraine would involve both the US and Russia antother one the UN dosnt want to get into an issue with but Thailand if it got too bad would likely see its neighbours concerned about the region and expect with sanction threats etc Thailand would listen.

The fact remains it has a duty to all UN member states and Thailand is a member of the UN and subject to its rules of membership so deserved a letter of caution.

A bottle of Lao Khao whiskey to the first person who mentions "the UN is not my father" in reply to this topic...........

You caught me! I was going to respond to Kikkoman's "hat's off" comments, but you were quicker. Hat's off mate.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have just a few questions.. where did the UN get its fact from, if it had his own researchers at the site I can agree with them. If they were fed information by the government .. different story.

So until i see proof on UN personal having done their own investigation and being on site... im skeptic.

They probably had quite a good view from their windows of what was going on.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh im not saying it will happen either im just saying the option os there, like i said it wont interfere unless it becomes bloody and out of control, then other UN members will try to talk sense first anyway.

i think you miss the point of the UN and we are all aware certain countries can ignore the UN totally without consequence, the US is indeed and Ukraine would involve both the US and Russia antother one the UN dosnt want to get into an issue with but Thailand if it got too bad would likely see its neighbours concerned about the region and expect with sanction threats etc Thailand would listen.

The fact remains it has a duty to all UN member states and Thailand is a member of the UN and subject to its rules of membership so deserved a letter of caution.

The threat of sanctions on an internal matter??? That's just plain ridiculous and even if they should impose sanctions then who would it be on and wouldn't that make matters worse. I suppose that if the sanctions included things such as 'they are not to sell rice' then it wouldn't make a jot of difference. Its not as if they have chemical or nuclear weapons or are persecuting each other!! OK, silly idea, lets move on......

You are not saying it will happen but I AM saying it won't happen and do not accept that it is an option!!

To quote you "we are all aware that certain countries can ignore the UN totally without consequence" and that is how it will be.

I see that your initial stance of advice has changed to a threat BTW!!

It is not upto the UN to dictate only advise it can however cajole and warn and sanction too and in the end if required in extreme circumstances use force to ensure peace. The door is always open to help and with mediation, some countries step through it others ignore it. The job of the UN is to always keep that door open and make it clear it is.

Excellent post! As a retired UN peacekeeper who has served in the Congo and East Timor, I am sorry that

so many people do not understand the role the UN plays in the world. First,of all, it iS a world body, but the

power is with the Security Council,which makes all the big decisions. Since the Security Council consists of all the major powers, there is often diagreement which makes it impossible to reach a consensus, making it impossiible for the org to take action. Syria and CAR are two of the most recent examples.

As a result, I think the UN PKF should be regarded as global firefighters with a mandate to minimze or prevent conflict; the UN was never intended to be the World Police. In the case of Thailand, the UN

also has offices in Bangkok, and both the UN and many member states have a mandate to try to

prevenr Thailand from sliding into a violent internal conflict which would be a tragedy both for Thailand and the region.

As other posts have stated, the UN can offer services of mediation in any country. Relevant to Thailand would be former SG Kofi Annan's mediation after electoral violence in Kenya, which resulted in ICC indictment of

Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta. However, for mediation to succeed, both parties must agree to submit to outside mediation, and my understanding is that the PRDC is still opposed to any mediation.

Come what may, rest assured that the international community has many representatives on the ground in Thailand, and is well aware of what has been going on.

• Like 2

Excellent post! As a retired UN peacekeeper who has served in the Congo and East Timor, I am sorry that

so many people do not understand the role the UN plays in the world. First,of all, it iS a world body, but the

power is with the Security Council,which makes all the big decisions. Since the Security Council consists of all the major powers, there is often diagreement which makes it impossible to reach a consensus, making it impossiible for the org to take action. Syria and CAR are two of the most recent examples.

As a result, I think the UN PKF should be regarded as global firefighters with a mandate to minimze or prevent conflict; the UN was never intended to be the World Police. In the case of Thailand, the UN

also has offices in Bangkok, and both the UN and many member states have a mandate to try to

prevenr Thailand from sliding into a violent internal conflict which would be a tragedy both for Thailand and the region.

As other posts have stated, the UN can offer services of mediation in any country. Relevant to Thailand would be former SG Kofi Annan's mediation after electoral violence in Kenya, which resulted in ICC indictment of

Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta. However, for mediation to succeed, both parties must agree to submit to outside mediation, and my understanding is that the PRDC is still opposed to any mediation.

Come what may, rest assured that the international community has many representatives on the ground in Thailand, and is well aware of what has been going on.

So what I say is correct then. As things stand, the UN is wasting it's time with Thailand as Suthep and the PDRC refuse to submit to outside mediation.

I suppose they must be seen to be showing some interest in proceedings and this letter is to indicate just this although it knows that it (and any advice/mediation involving the UN) won't be forthcoming, now or in the future, as it is purely an internal dispute.

noitom, on 22 Feb 2014 - 10:38, said:

Surely, the UN is joking. After over 10 years of killing in the Thai south with a reported 6,000 deaths and tens of thousands of injuries, the UN is now concerned about protests and violence in Thailand. Nice going guys.

Let's not also forget their silence on the Rohingan genocide.

The is start time to "THICK PAID OLD BAGS (EX-Ministers and governement people = friends)" once to hear something and action?

After the poison attack from....in..... "WITHOUT PENALTY" we should not expect much.

That old men and women are unemployed without the union ....(UN)!

Give justice to the people, laity and statements in court along with authorized IQ voice, now much white collar politics ! (RIP)

OK , back to "Napolion" 18XY

So what I say is correct then. As things stand, the UN is wasting it's time with Thailand as Suthep and the PDRC refuse to submit to outside mediation.

I suppose they must be seen to be showing some interest in proceedings and this letter is to indicate just this although it knows that it (and any advice/mediation involving the UN) won't be forthcoming, now or in the future, as it is purely an internal dispute.

they aren't wasting their time. You think this is the most intransient situation in the history of the world?

Why would the UN be concerned with a flawed internal policy decision? You obviously have no idea what the UN is for.

yy

Wasting their time is precisely what they are doing!!!

This advice will be ignored.

As you are convinced That it will be taken on board - please tell me what will happen next and by whom.

When people stop trying all is lost.

Steve, answer me this. If a child isnt interested in learning or listening in a class full of others do you just give up on all or as a teacher continue talking to the rest of the class ?

Same thing here, btw sanctions come on all levels, example was the US pulling military funding for the Thai army the last coup etc.

I'm not going to provide an answer the UN is there its upto Thailand to ask for the help, your saying the UN is wasting its time because the problem is with Thailand its not the UN at fault for offering sound advise it is in fact doing its job correctly.

I agree Thailand is unlikely to ask for help but the UN is doing exactly what it should be, dont shoot the messenger m8

Brunel I for one appreciate the UN and its staff and volunteers and worked alongside various UN reps in various depts over the years. The peace keeping force are the unsung heroes of many troubled places, often unreported and unappreciated by the world in general I wish you nothing but a well deserved and healthy retirement.

• Like 1