Where can I find the tea shop? I like to drink oolong tea from Mae salong.

jiangaq

Actually, if you want to get really great tea from Mae Salong, the best shop I've found is at the airport in the domestic arrivals section. One of Mae Salong's best growers has a shop there and they are very generous with samples.

Raming tea house has their own oolong. They grow their own teas in chiang dao, and are good quality teas.

The royal project shops sell the mae salong teas i think, including oolongs.

If you ever get up to pai then you will find perhaps one of the finest tea shops around, even though it's not tea shop! But he sells about 40 different teas, oolongs, greens, blacks, whites, pu-erhs, herbal ones. Teas from thailand and from other asian nations. Good Life Herbal Restaurant is the place.

Worawot market sells lots of teas, but i'm not sure where they're from or what quality they possess.

Then of course, you should take a trip to mae salong itself! Stunning scenery to get there and a wonderful place to stay a couple of nights. Going to the tea plantations is a great experience too.

Raming tea house has their own oolong. They grow their own teas in chiang dao, and are good quality teas.

The royal project shops sell the mae salong teas i think, including oolongs.

If you ever get up to pai then you will find perhaps one of the finest tea shops around, even though it's not tea shop! But he sells about 40 different teas, oolongs, greens, blacks, whites, pu-erhs, herbal ones. Teas from thailand and from other asian nations. Good Life Herbal Restaurant is the place.

Worawot market sells lots of teas, but i'm not sure where they're from or what quality they possess.

Then of course, you should take a trip to mae salong itself! Stunning scenery to get there and a wonderful place to stay a couple of nights. Going to the tea plantations is a great experience too.

where is the royal project shops in the city?

"I've heard that JJ market has one tea shop, is there high quality oolong tea for sale?"

It's called Monsoon. The owner explained to me that it's aimed at Thai middle class customers. He uses a Thai oolong and adds various flavors to it. That's his specialty and he appears to be quite good at it. He only carries three unflavored oolongs. I bought all three and have only tried one so far. Very disappointing. Oolong tea is not supposed to require four-minute infusions but that's what he recommends and that's what it takes to get any flavor, which is not a good flavor. But he also carries two unflavored Chinese (?) black teas. I bought one and it is actually very good, nice mouthfeel and very complex aroma. It's the golden needle one. I'm off to KL in a couple of weeks to buy some real tea.

The main royal project shop is at the corner of suthep road and the canal road intersection. I would call that the north-west corner of the junction.

There's another one in 89 plaza which is on the chiang mai - lamphun road (road with the huge tall trees lining it) and south of the nong hoi junction.

I guess there's others but i don't know them.

"I've heard that JJ market has one tea shop, is there high quality oolong tea for sale?"

It's called Monsoon. The owner explained to me that it's aimed at Thai middle class customers. He uses a Thai oolong and adds various flavors to it. That's his specialty and he appears to be quite good at it. He only carries three unflavored oolongs. I bought all three and have only tried one so far. Very disappointing. Oolong tea is not supposed to require four-minute infusions but that's what he recommends and that's what it takes to get any flavor, which is not a good flavor. But he also carries two unflavored Chinese (?) black teas. I bought one and it is actually very good, nice mouthfeel and very complex aroma. It's the golden needle one. I'm off to KL in a couple of weeks to buy some real tea.

Strange customer base!! Thai middle classes drinking tea??

Probably expensive then.

There is so much good tea available in northern thailand. I don't dispute you will get some real tea in malaysia, but plenty of bloody fine real tea already here! On my shelf i have oolongs, greens, a white, pu-erhs, a red, and a black. The oolongs and greens from raming tea house (grown in chiang dao) and from mae salong in chiang rai province are quality teas, good prices, and real enough.

And then if you find yoursel in pai then the restaurant i mentioned before will have a choice and range and quality of teas that will make tea-lovers weep with joy.

Chas and cheers, happy drinking!

We must have very different ideas about what quality tea is. I tried an organic green by Raming but it was pretty bad. And if you can get pu-erh (either shou or sheng) in CM it's news to me. Yes, Monsoon carries one loose leaf pu-erh but he doesn't even know if it's shou or sheng. That big Chinese restaurant carries one brick but my vendor in Kunming has never heard of it so it's dodgy. What do you mean by red tea? I know that black tea is called red in China (hong cha) but you mean something else? Anyway, if you can enjoy so much Thai tea you're lucky.

We must have very different ideas about what quality tea is. I tried an organic green by Raming but it was pretty bad. And if you can get pu-erh (either shou or sheng) in CM it's news to me. Yes, Monsoon carries one loose leaf pu-erh but he doesn't even know if it's shou or sheng. That big Chinese restaurant carries one brick but my vendor in Kunming has never heard of it so it's dodgy. What do you mean by red tea? I know that black tea is called red in China (hong cha) but you mean something else? Anyway, if you can enjoy so much Thai tea you're lucky.

The pu-erhs i have were given me by chinese people who had brought them over from china. Including a very nice donut-shape block!

But you can buy pu-erhs in chiang mai, at the tian zi macrobiotic restaurant. Quite pricey, but i think that's the norm with pu-erhs. Very nice boxes too.

The red tea i have we bought at a tea plantation in mae salong. I don't personally like it much. I don't think it's black tea, it certainly has a different - and stronger - kind of smell. I hardly drink blacks at all.

The thai teas i have drunk the most are an oolong from mae salong, a green tea from pai, and i did quite like the raming stuff i got one time. I don't buy much from there because i have other places where i get better tea, but i still thought it was more than reasonable tea.

The place i mentioned in pai has some outstanding teas from taiwan and china, including milk oolong, strawberry oolong, mint oolong, and a real favourite of mine called 'oolong young leaf with panax chinese ginseng'.

My tea of choice at the moment is one from burma which i've managed to get a lot of. It's a green and has a real earthy sort of smell mixed in with freshly drawn cows' milk (the smell i mean, not the actual milk!).