Number of customers leaving AIS doubled Friday: NBTC

webfact

ANTI-SHINAWATRA CAMPAIGN
Number of customers leaving AIS doubled Friday: NBTC

The Nation

Customers ditching AIS for another cellular network doubled on Friday.

BANGKOK: -- The anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee had urged its supporters to boycott products and services from businesses affiliated with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thaksin, brother of the current prime minister, founded Advanced Info Service, or AIS, but his family has sold its shares in the firm, according to its most recent report.

Thakorn Tantasit, secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommuni-cations Commission, said yesterday that AIS handled up to 1,400 requests on Friday from subscribers wanting to move their mobile phone number to a competitor.

Of the 1,400 former AIS customers, 70 per cent moved over to DTAC and the rest to True. "The number surged from the normal level," he said.

AIS usually receives only about 700 requests a day from defected customers, he said.

On Saturday, DTAC and True sent Line messages to potential customers offering special promotions for cellphone users who switch to their services. The regulator would closely monitor the situation, he said.

"We will try to prevent any adverse impact on the telecom industry," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-24

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I received an SMS message [automated] from AIS in Thai language stating that the company has nothing to do with Thai politics. And that the Shins sold all their shares in the company back in 2543.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thaksin founded AIS did he? I was under the impression that it was created when a hugely corrupt government minister awarded a monopolistic telecommunications concession to an equally corrupt young policeman, and the rest is history. So, seeing as it was effectively "stolen" from the Thai people by Chalerm and Thaksin, the boycott is more than justified.

Too bad innocent Thai share holders in this company may have to take losses for the actions of Suthep. Comments like this one above shows how much hate people have and is not even Thai.

You align yourself with the devil and sooner or later you are gonna get burned

Buying shares or stocks in any company or organization is a risk ... called gambling, sometimes you win and sometimes your lose. If people cannot afford to lose they should not gamble / invest

• Like 2

As a former DTAC customer, I wish all those who have changed and who will pay more, good luck. I was not impressed with the DTAC service when I used it. IMO AIS has better coverage in Thailand, although that probably isn't a factor for most people. I doubt AIS is overly concerned by the loss of a few thousand subscribers. In a couple of months, they will run a promotion and the customers will most likely come back. Mobile service consumers are price sensitive.

• Like 1

the sky isn't falling here. They lose 700 in a normal day, the other two big companies probably do as well, its just revolving door. How many did they gain the other day? How many do they normally gain? This will only last a week or two at most and things will be back to normal.

• Like 1

and i guess in the same time the number of customers joining AIS will triple... yeah you know red shirt also use mobile phone... pointless article!

I don't think it's a pointless article at all. It demonstrates just how irrational Suthep and his followers have become. It also lays bare the myth that the middle class in Bangkok is 'educated'.

haha, so true, haha educated, haha "hey you where you go!?" haha

I have AIS,DTAC and True Move sims, and only AIS remains a constant.
I wonder how Mr Suthep would feel if the reds started blockading Kho Samui? The only way to get rid of anything to do or formerly owened by Thaksin is for his whole family to stop breathing! And that's never going to happen, If anything was to happen to Thaksin or any of the other Shins, the extremist elements of his followers would still remain, so the problem remains. Ban the PTP, the core members still remain, Suthep needs to realise that no matter who's in Power, he's never going to get rid of the Thaksin Regime.

It seems more like a personal vendetta than a protest these days, I spent 4 weeks there up in Korat and was there for the election, and the majority of the people in the region just did not appear to be interested in what was going on in Bangkok, there was a few billboards higlighting anti corruption, but the world carried on as normal. I am wondering if the populus are just fed up with everything and all the crap from both sides, that they want their lives to carry on and the senseless violence to stop?.

• Like 1

As a former DTAC customer, I wish all those who have changed and who will pay more, good luck. I was not impressed with the DTAC service when I used it. IMO AIS has better coverage in Thailand, although that probably isn't a factor for most people. I doubt AIS is overly concerned by the loss of a few thousand subscribers. In a couple of months, they will run a promotion and the customers will most likely come back. Mobile service consumers are price sensitive.

Please show me where AIS is cheaper than Dtac. BUT not some that are, I can choose a Dtac charge per minute less than AIS depending on your needs.

Pay low 1st minute cost if you mainly say hello------Pay high 1st minute cost and very low other minutes for longer calls ---depends on your choice, so your anti Dtac pro AIS is not a good reflection on price it sounds to me like most of your posts you are pro government. But it's your choice on which you use.

I find by dialing 1678 then 4 the operator on Dtac is way ahead of AIS with English and pleasant service. I was ex AIS years ago, There customer service changed me to Dtac-----now super service--but again my choice. I also like to think with some European connection feel more comfortable, maybe I am wrong on this point but I think it is fact.

Last night I received an SMS message [automated] from AIS in Thai language stating that the company has nothing to do with Thai politics. And that the Shins sold all their shares in the company back in 2543.

Lucky you... I had 12 yesterday !! SMS message [automated] from AIS in Thai language stating that the company has nothing to do with Thai politics......

Talking to a Thai friend , they also received 12 yesterday.

Edited by ignis

Square face brand becomes bad for your business, even in politics they don't wear his name with the pride they used to, have not seen him smiling at me as much from election billboards either. Businesses are going out of their way to assure you that they have no connection to him.

• Like 1

I accept that AIS is now owned by a Singaporean company and understand why some people think that targeting AIS is a daft move but think about it. AIS and Thaksin's name are still linked in many minds. All other companies owned by Shin Corp will lose value as no-one will want to by them in case the same thing happens again. It will make it more difficult for Thaksin to sell and the value of the shares will drop. Perhaps Suthep is wiser than some posters think.

• Like 1

I accept that AIS is now owned by a Singaporean company and understand why some people think that targeting AIS is a daft move but think about it. AIS and Thaksin's name are still linked in many minds. All other companies owned by Shin Corp will lose value as no-one will want to by them in case the same thing happens again. It will make it more difficult for Thaksin to sell and the value of the shares will drop. Perhaps Suthep is wiser than some posters think.

With 35% of AIS owned by Thai trusts, which I assume manage retirement funds and the like of the people who is going to be the real losers. Not Thaksin he is pissing himself laughing as he has nothing tied up in AIS. It is the worker the little people who Suthep says he loves and cares for whilst trying burn their money that may be invested in AIS.

When these people see their money being flushed down the toilet by Suthep I don't think they are going to thank him but they may just turn on him.