Just Got Ipstar

tuffy

After dealing with dial up i finally got IPSTAR satelite installed. I have the 256down 128 up connection for B1800 / month.

During the day i can get downloads around 32kb/sec but at evening and weekends it is pretty much under 10kb/sec and usually under 5kb/sec. I calle din and was given the standard (i assume) speach about shared bandwidth.

Anyone know how to increase the speed? I was told that increasing to the 512/256 connection wouldn't help in the hi traffic times.

Still better than dial up though! :o

This is what you do:

Use a screenprint program to take a picture of the following site after having run a speed test at

Save it and when you send an email to them complaining, be sure to send few snapshots along with your comments. Stay civil and talk nice to them, they are people like you and me, working within a high technology market, where things sometimes go wrong. Ask that they look into it. Send such an email once every three weeks or until you get the desired results.

Just to proove that it works take a look at this image I pay for 512/128 and am getting 527/130 without a problem even during peak periods or during rain.

Complaining to us on the forum will do little. My thoughts have always been how can a Merchant fix something unless you make sure that he knows of the problem and the right people have been made aware of it. I have had ipStar for a number of years now and consider them the most professional people I have dealt with, other than my banker and lawyer.

Edited by mouse

mouse: I think you dealt with other IPStar people than I did.

On emails I never got any answer.

They are friendly and better than the True people but still 1000 km away from proffessional....

Thanks Mouse. I will give that a try and hopefully i will be more lucky that h90!

I have already called them with the problem and was told there was nothing that could be done. Maybe an Email will get more results...

My latest problem it seems that everything that i download is corrupt. varrious different executable and zipped files I have downloaded and tried to install on several different computers are all saying that they are corrupt. Anyone had this problem before with IpStar? I have never had this kind of problem before until i started using IpStar.

My latest problem it seems that everything that i download is corrupt. varrious different executable and zipped files I have downloaded and tried to install on several different computers are all saying that they are corrupt. Anyone had this problem before with IpStar? I have never had this kind of problem before until i started using IpStar.

I have heard that data comes down in packets from IPSTAR, and that this means certain charting packages don't work properly.

Maybe you have something similar.

I'd be very interested to know....

Any expertise out there?

First, I guess 10kbs [sic] really means 10KBs. But that's still way too slow.

As to corrupt data, since the connection is that bad, it's nu surprise your files get trashed. And OBW, EVERYTHING moves in packets. That's the way the internet works.

My latest problem it seems that everything that i download is corrupt. varrious different executable and zipped files I have downloaded and tried to install on several different computers are all saying that they are corrupt.

I suspect that what you are experincing is caused by the traffic on the net. Take a look here and you will have a better undertsanding why we in Thailand suffer so much. Note the packet loss!! Cannot really blame our providers all the time.

For example when a major router/switch at a datacenter somewhere in China or even in Iran goes down for some unknown reason, the traffic is rerouted thus causing the whole area to slow down. Asia is already the slowest part fo the web worldwide, so when something nearby goes amiss then the problem is amplified.

Edited by mouse

i was just about to start a topic "just got ipstar". mine was a bit more negative. i'm actaully using dialup now, ipstar as usual was barely moving. i realy don't know which is better. i don't believe that test, it says i'm getting 225.4kbps on ipstar which is BS.

the only advantage to ipstart is it's always on and i can connect wy wireless AP, beside that, i think dialup was a bit faster and maybe more reliable.

steve

I wonder how can they compete for business in China with service like this, never mind Australia.

I really think it will plunk like Iridium low orbit satellites - there's no demand for satellite Internet, not at this price and this quality.

White elephant in the sky.

I am not very happy with this service. I have tryied to stay positve for the simple fact that this was my last hope at fast internet. BUt today i checked my download speed and it was a wopping 164 Bytes! I can get that with a string and 2 tin cans. I keep hoping there is a problem with mine and something can be fixed as a few other members in this forum say they get decent service.

CS-Loxinfo/IPstar has bandwidth problems and they are solving it together with TOT. Will be better next week when they will upgrade the fibre, they just promised me on the phone.

I am holding my breath! Hopefully my death isn't on your hands George!

But seriously I hope they can resolve this issue. I am a new subscriber and this is pretty much my last hope for High speed.

I sent them an email as well, hopefully I will hear from them shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Ipstar service is terrible, its expensive and very, very unreliable.

I have had it installed for 3 months The day the 'engineers' came was like a sketch from Billy Smart's circus. They took around 7 goes at installing my dish They tried under my bedroom window (I live in a one storey villa) told them to move it, then they tried installing on the side of my boundry wall bloking my path!, again told them to move it, then they fetched the steps and had a few more goes at installing it on the side of the house. They left holes and brass wall bolts all over my house and filled them in with silicon sealant! To say I was upset was an understatement.

Ok once that was out the way i was up and running .... for about a week...! Since, I have had nothing but problems, continually disconecting on average 30 times a day. Eventually they came and sorted that out, now I am getting slower downloads speads than my GPRS modem and its been like this for over 3 weeks. One week I was forced to go into town to find internet cafes because, I couldn't even send eMails

I am paying 2,650BHT per month for this, trouble is, I can't get a land line, I have beem waiting over 9 months. If i could I would drop IPStar like a brick.

Now for customer service, very rarely can you get to speak to an operator, I usually wait around 30 mins before I give up, emailling them somtimes gets a responce after about 5 goes. I earlier tried to contact customer support at thier website, and now they have closed down that and just show a picture of the King!!

All I can say is if your desperate and can not get a landline, then maybe its an option, but not a very good one in my personal experience.

Ipstar service is terrible, its expensive and very, very unreliable.

I have had it installed for 3 months The day the 'engineers' came was like a sketch from Billy Smart's circus. They took around 7 goes at installing my dish They tried under my bedroom window (I live in a one storey villa) told them to move it, then they tried installing on the side of my boundry wall bloking my path!, again told them to move it, then they fetched the steps and had a few more goes at installing it on the side of the house. They left holes and brass wall bolts all over my house and filled them in with silicon sealant! To say I was upset was an understatement.

Ok once that was out the way i was up and running .... for about a week...! Since, I have had nothing but problems, continually disconecting on average 30 times a day. Eventually they came and sorted that out, now I am getting slower downloads speads than my GPRS modem and its been like this for over 3 weeks. One week I was forced to go into town to find internet cafes because, I couldn't even send eMails

I am paying 2,650BHT per month for this, trouble is, I can't get a land line, I have beem waiting over 9 months. If i could I would drop IPStar like a brick.

Now for customer service, very rarely can you get to speak to an operator, I usually wait around 30 mins before I give up, emailling them somtimes gets a responce after about 5 goes. I earlier tried to contact customer support at thier website, and now they have closed down that and just show a picture of the King!!

All I can say is if your desperate and can not get a landline, then maybe its an option, but not a very good one in my personal experience.

I have had it for about a month now and it by no means is a ball of fire but I seem to get acceptable download speeds most of the time now, still the service comes and goes and I will fully agree with the customer service be less than exemplory. I only have the slower 256/128 for 1800/month but i am still more happy now than i was with dial up.

Welcome to IPStop&Start's wonderfull world of BS

:o after some years in Thailand I start to like IPStar, because it keeps stable over more than 10 minutes and I belive that true High Speed is a high quality service because it keep working 80 % of the time and can deliver 25 % of the promised speed. :D

Some years ago I would have thought that these are BS services, but now after some years here I am gradefull to have them.

As well I start to belive that a politican who only takes 5 % is not corrupt

If a supplier tells he'll come today (this is already an exact time now) and he comes tomorrow, I think he is a relaible person, because he is just 1 day late (and not 1 week).

So opinions change with time...

Welcome to IPStop&Start's wonderfull world of BS

:D after some years in Thailand I start to like IPStar, because it keeps stable over more than 10 minutes and I belive that true High Speed is a high quality service because it keep working 80 % of the time and can deliver 25 % of the promised speed. :D

Some years ago I would have thought that these are BS services, but now after some years here I am gradefull to have them.

As well I start to belive that a politican who only takes 5 % is not corrupt

If a supplier tells he'll come today (this is already an exact time now) and he comes tomorrow, I think he is a relaible person, because he is just 1 day late (and not 1 week).

So opinions change with time...

:o:D This is actualy very true.

I just got off the phone with an IPStar Techy and he told me that for the forseable futre IPStar is a dead duck. They have over used thier quoto of bandwidth and have had to power everyones speed right down. He was actually very honest, and said "I do not want to lie to my customers anymore. We are not going to be increasing it in the forseable future"

He then went on to advise me to get ADSL on a landline. (wish I could) Also gave me the managers personal email address to have this months bill amended.

I don't know about you guys but I have been getting 1-2 Kbps it ocasionally jumps up to 60kbps, then drops right down again 1 or even 0 Kbps. I have been forced to use my GPRS modem most of the time.

Looks, Like I'm back to renting office space in town again :o shame, I quite enjoyed working from home.

He then went on to advise me to get ADSL on a landline. (wish I could)

ADSL is no walk in the park. I have finally come to the realization that I have been stupid for too long and am going to stop in and tell true that I am downgrading my ADSL package since I now understand they never intended to give me even once half the speed I pay for. True is now promoting a new 128kbps package, another sign they just aren't serious about offering hi speed. I honestly believed if I just waited long enough things would improve. The speed has gotten worse and so have artificial speed bumps.

He then went on to advise me to get ADSL on a landline. (wish I could)

ADSL is no walk in the park. I have finally come to the realization that I have been stupid for too long and am going to stop in and tell true that I am downgrading my ADSL package since I now understand they never intended to give me even once half the speed I pay for. True is now promoting a new 128kbps package, another sign they just aren't serious about offering hi speed. I honestly believed if I just waited long enough things would improve. The speed has gotten worse and so have artificial speed bumps.

belive me ADSL is wounderfull, even if you only get 25 % of the paid speed, in compare to IPStar.

I just got off the phone with an IPStar Techy and he told me that for the forseable futre IPStar is a dead duck. They have over used thier quoto of bandwidth and have had to power everyones speed right down. He was actually very honest, and said "I do not want to lie to my customers anymore. We are not going to be increasing it in the forseable future"

He then went on to advise me to get ADSL on a landline. (wish I could) Also gave me the managers personal email address to have this months bill amended.

I don't know about you guys but I have been getting 1-2 Kbps it ocasionally jumps up to 60kbps, then drops right down again 1 or even 0 Kbps. I have been forced to use my GPRS modem most of the time.

Looks, Like I'm back to renting office space in town again :o shame, I quite enjoyed working from home.

If this is in fact the story behind this fiasco and I suspect it could well be, then IPStop&Start should be contacting every customer to give them the facts and offer refunds.

I have just received their invoice for 4280 baht covering the month of June. I have advised them that they must raise appropriate credit notes covering the first part of this month before I will make payment to them as my bandwidth readings are quite frankly a joke for this amount of money.

26.0 June 16, 2006, 11:18 pm

47.5 June 16, 2006, 11:20 pm

121.9 June 16, 2006, 11:22 pm

135.7 June 18, 2006, 10:34 am

130.9 June 18, 2006, 10:35 am

61.9 June 19, 2006, 12:20 pm

78.6 June 19, 2006, 12:56 pm

Edited by Rimmer

Forget iPSTAR, folks. Yes, it's a dead duck. I have contacts there and I've been told that they've realized that they won't make any money on the Internet home user market with this. This service has never been profitable, they're still fighting with serious technical glitches in the very core functions (like routing IP over a satellite link). Now that ADSL is getting more and more common they're to withdraw from the Internet home user market and focus on corporate private networks (like e.g. the 7/11 shops). Also trying hard to sell it to countries which don't have easy access to western high-tech stuff. You see who I'm talking about. It's no mystery, it's been in the newspapers.

--Lannig

Lannig, could you please provide a link? This is headline news indeed, if true.

Sorry, I was unclear. The fact that Shingapore Sat is selling iPSTAR service to the burmese was in the newspapers, not that they're most probably to drop the home Internet user market (or maybe keep it a niche offer for the hilltribe Internet users). So I don't have any link. Just take my word for this (or do not :o ).

--Lannig

Works great at 2:00am but after 8:30am, forget it. I have been getting up at 2:00 this past week because I needed to be connected. I have been hung-up on by an IPstar tech rep. I am ready to give up.

• 9 months later...

Have had TOT's IPSTAR 512/256 service installed at a site near Kabin Buri for over a week now. No alternative as no land lines. So far I'd say I'm very happy with the service. Seems faster and more reliable than the 512 ADSL True service I had in Bangkok.

One problem though is that some sites don;t load correctly. For example, no problem with the Bangkok Post site, but The Nation's site does not load correctly. Some important sites for me also don't load at all, such as www.ibm.com and the Windows update page from www.microsoft.com.

The TOT tech is here now so not sure what the solution is. He turned up on time as well and the installation also went well so overall, no complaints once this is resolved. Must be a setup, configuration or software problem.

Lannig, could you please provide a link? This is headline news indeed, if true.

Sorry, I was unclear. The fact that Shingapore Sat is selling iPSTAR service to the burmese was in the newspapers, not that they're most probably to drop the home Internet user market (or maybe keep it a niche offer for the hilltribe Internet users). So I don't have any link. Just take my word for this (or do not :o ).

--Lannig

Nonsense.

Anyways, if you dislike ipstar now, you'll detest it when the rains come :D

Well, I've had TOT Ipstar 256/128 for about 6 months now.

Reliable and no problems except a bust ethernet card.

Not fast but much better speed that dial up and TOT haven't fixed the phone for months now.

Roger in Surin

Edited by raslin