Aircon upgrade - advice needed

baywatch82

Hi. I do not have any knowledge about airconditioning units. Also I can not speak thai.

I would like to replace 2 old aircons in my condo for the new ones. I have old style aircons, with no remote control, however they work well.

I know 2 main parts of aircon are : external compressor and internal unit.

My questions:

- if I am replacing aircon for new one, do I have to replace external compressor as well ? I am interested mainly to replace internal one.

- any recommendation who can do this job for me in Chiang Mai ? (english speaking preffered)

- can I get any discount if I give service man old units ? Or is it possible to sell it somewhere ?

Thanks for any advice.

Air con units are sold as a combo....internal and external unit and as such they are compatible with each other.

Why connect old to new, fittings, pipes, connections could be different.

That aside you will for sure compromise any warranty.

All the suppliers will arrange fitting, the siam, global,home pro and the like.

Remember from now onwards these guys are going to be extremely busy.....aside from a million condos to fit out, so book early.

Discounts....I guess the last 4 months was the best time when no one was buying aircon and the fitters were redundant.

I suppose you might get lucky and your air con man might know where to find an old unit but unlikely you could find a brand new indoor unit as they are sold as a pair with thcompressor unit. So forget any guarantee. Old unit, only worth scrap metal value. might be possible to fit a remote control to your old unit but much would depend on your unit, need to ask your air con man.

New units are cheaper to run than the old style if you buy the inverter type they are proven to be the most economical, so in the long run you will save money and also get a warranty

Just make sure it is the right size for the area to be cooled if too small it will be running all the time instead of cutting in and out

Edited by pitchag
  • Like 1

The outside is the part you would want to replace to upgrade, but a 16 seer condensing unit, with an 8 seer coil, will give you 8 seer. They are starting to phase in the 410a refrigerant; so none of that equipment will be compatible. I saw a nice Carrier, with 18000 btus for 21K the other day. I think it is R22a. When you buy a condo, you are paying for half the walls and the balcony, so subtract that. They seem to be very insistent on units that are too large. Measure the space yourself that needs to be cooled, and you will be surprised at how much less it is than the square meters you paid for, or pay rent for.

• Like 1