Canadian tourist plunges to death at Suvarnabhumi airport

webfact

This is like something out of a movie....spy or horror. I mean the guy takes a taxi all the easy to the airport with all his things packed and a nice set of golf clubs. Then all of a sudden decides I think I'll end it by jumping off the terrace at the airport!? Really!?

Strange.

R.I.P. old fella

Agreed. But I'm guessing all the other suicides didn't go to the trouble of taking a taxi all the way to the airport without any luggage, simply to hurl themselves off the departure lounge floor? Anyway, thoughtless way to go. I knew a train driver in the UK who'd suffered a nervous breakdown after someone had thrown themselves in front of his train. Poor guy was a wreck, never the same again. Just remember, we're not here that long anyway. Any of us.

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surely that's not him in the picture, just before he jumped

I have been very low some times and managed to pull myself out of it but I believe that severe depression, if you get that low, no one can help u, u just want out. My thoughts only btw.

Seriously? The guy in the picture is an official of some sort, notice the Walkie Talkie at his right pocket.

The police theorized it was suicide. So why go the the airport with all your Luggage and why change your flights to that day if you don't intend to get on the flight.

I think if you dig a little deeper you will find something . But to theorize it was suicide with these things. I am just not sure

• Like 2

The police theorized it was suicide. So why go the the airport with all your Luggage and why change your flights to that day if you don't intend to get on the flight.

I think if you dig a little deeper you will find something . But to theorize it was suicide with these things. I am just not sure

Who knows what pain drives a person?

• Like 1

What is going on with spate of suicides of late? I know clinical depression is a killer though it seems to be on a daily basis. So sad for the codger and his family. If you're feeling down anybody, let someone know. In fact all your friends or even on TV. Their is a severe lack of help in Thailand for the I'll. Please reach out you will be surprised how many out here care.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I second that for sure. It is imperative if in a bad place to reach out. It is surprising how many people do care. Talk to some body about it. Don't feel that are "putting yourself on them". Also, many times the person you reach out to gets as much help as yourself, maybe even more. One concern I have about doing it on TV. I see that there are some "trolls" out there waiting to put in a "sick" comment at any given opportunity. If you do reach out on TV, perhaps you know one person that would check the replies. Sometimes one unloving comment might tip the balance in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

What is the betting that there is some girl that he met here and he just thought he could not live without her ,so sad and as for the guy who said what is there waiting for a 64 year old guy back home ,life must be very sad for you if you think that there is no familly and friends at home for most people.

You are 100 percent bang on. People who haven't been that low and made it back can never begin to understand.

Surely that's not him in the picture, just before he jumped
I have been very low some times and managed to pull myself out of it but I believe that severe depression, if you get that low, no one can help u, u just want out. My thoughts only btw.

• Like 2

That is a nice set of golf clubs. One wonders why he packed all his stuff and went to the airport. Very sad and perplexing.

maybe, just maybe a spur of the moment decision.

Apparently most of the jumpers from bridges in the US lock their cars before jumping.

That is a nice set of golf clubs. One wonders why he packed all his stuff and went to the airport. Very sad and perplexing.

one suspects it is a stock photo, or one of an official with his bags.

Edited by HooHaa

That isn't him in that picture. The Thai news article had a different picture, and one that showed someone holding what appeared to be some kind of membership card to somewhere in Pattaya (hard to read the card but it also had a passport-sized picture of Mr. Campbell on it).

Getting to the airport is that "no going back from here" point. It's the place where you realize that, one more step (figuratively) and that's it, you're on the plane back to wherever, likely to never return. Something happened in his life that caused him to up his departure date by almost 3 weeks and at the last moment, decide that going home was something he couldn't live with. It had to be a spontaneous decision, judging by changed airline ticket and packed luggage ready to go. Too many possible reasons for why and speculation won't change the outcome.

And as a lot of people on TV have experienced in the past, quite often when an "ex-pat" dies in Thailand for any reason, one of the first things friends and relatives do these days is hit google and search for more information. And pretty much everything in these threads is searchable.

Keep that in mind when it's your friends/relatives searching for info on you.

So sad, poor guy. Packs all his things and does that at the airport. One really wonders why, hope it not, he meet lady and she not want him, this affects older men. I have often looked over the rail on the departure floor, long way down onto solid concreat.

• Like 1

its not like he is the first, and likely not the last. i can specifically remember an Irish and a russian fellow who did same. I am sure there were others.Shockingly, we were treated to the cc tv footage of that act, thankfully that is not the case here.

there was talk some time ago about a 30 million baht glass wall, but apparently that has been shelved for now

http://asiancorrespondent.com/114578/bangkok-airport-to-install-glass-walls-to-prevent-suicides/

the news article is chock full of filler, but does go some way to indicate the problem at the airport

Edited by HooHaa

RIP. I hope his family have counselling and support at this difficult time.

Buddha: "how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you."

You have to walk the earth lightly and not take things too seriously, if you are to cope with the stress of life. Sometimes this is easily forgotten in the modern stressful world. Poor guy.

Easy to read words from a book or listen to someone spout it but when you are in turmoil not so easy to put into practice.

• Like 2

Condolences to his family. It's a risky leap from only four floors. He could have survive and ended up in a Thai hospital with a Thai clerk fishing through his belongings looking for a credit card to bill. This suicide should be investigated and surveillance camera videos reviewed for foul play. It's a certainty that the Thai airport has great security and video cameras all around, especially in an area where this type of incident has occurred before.

Its a sad incident. RIP.

But it's also very hard to understand what could possibly lead him to take his life at the airport just like that??!

unless you have been in that situation that he found himself in, how the hell would you know? something obviously happened that was serious enough in his mind to warrant taking the action he did. very sad, yes.

What is going on with spate of suicides of late? I know clinical depression is a killer though it seems to be on a daily basis. So sad for the codger and his family. If you're feeling down anybody, let someone know. In fact all your friends or even on TV. Their is a severe lack of help in Thailand for the I'll. Please reach out you will be surprised how many out here care.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As bad as it seems here to some.

What's waiting back home for a 64 year old guy? Bingo?

you clearly never have been to canada have you? thats where i am from. its cold as hell and expensive. i think this guy got a taste of a good life, and realized how shitty is back home

Terrible place, can't understand why it's always in the top 5 countries in the world, with a highly equipped health care system, where new born Canadian kids can enjoy life up to more than 81 years of age. Most Canadian's that finish up here are either for the cheap sex or pot-less in their own country.

• Like 1

Within the last year there was a big story about AOT building glass walls everywhere on the 4th floor to prevent such suicides, several of which had occurred, with a budget of many millions approved. What happened?

I don't remember tragedies like this at Don Muang, when it was primary. The parking garage there is several stories high as well. Maybe not as promenant as departures at Bhumi. Poor guy, looks as if he had intentions of making a normal trip. I would like to see some kind of assurance from AOT police that it happened as reported, with no foul play involved. Let's have someone official confirm the facts by reviewing the video available

• Like 2

RIP. I hope his family have counselling and support at this difficult time.

Buddha: "how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you."

You have to walk the earth lightly and not take things too seriously, if you are to cope with the stress of life. Sometimes this is easily forgotten in the modern stressful world. Poor guy.

Yes RIP

Maybe the sentiments are good but this is not a Buddha quote at all but completely FAKE: "In the end only three things matter - how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you."

I had the same thought: why would you change your flight, pack all your stuff, call a taxi, go to the airport and then jump off? It makes me wonder if he got dizzy, reached for the railing and then fell over it. It just doesn't make sense...

• Like 2

What can push a man to take such a big decision?

I think that there should be a serious investigation to know why these cases are so common and similar in thailand among particularly ; foreigners while most of them were well-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand