Turnout low for vote reruns in 5 Thai provinces

webfact

If Thailand wants to have true democracy change the law to make voting compulsory . Then it is hard to manipulate and buy votes . I think it is the only way that Thailand can change if they keep the status quo Thailand will remain rudderless for generations .

Voting IS compulsory in Thailand.

thumbsup.gif

Which is why the low turnouts on 2nd February, taken together with the high-level of spoiled-papers & 'no'-votes, is so significant IMO.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Thailand wants to have true democracy change the law to make voting compulsory . Then it is hard to manipulate and buy votes . I think it is the only way that Thailand can change if they keep the status quo Thailand will remain rudderless for generations .

thumbsup.gif

Which is why the low turnouts on 2nd February, taken together with the high-level of spoiled-papers & 'no'-votes, is so significant IMO.

Agree, apathy, disillusionment and discontent rein - even up in the North and North Eastern PT strongholds!!!!

• Like 1

thumbsup.gif

What are you saying - that no votes are a more successful opponent to the Reds than the Democrats? Just shows how pathetic Abhisist and his mob truly are.

thumbsup.gif

What are you saying - that no votes are a more successful opponent to the Reds than the Democrats? Just shows how pathetic Abhisist and his mob truly are.

The No Party have better policies than PTP laugh.png

The polling took place in districts where the Democrat party is strong.

Considering the past violence associated with the election and the recent drive by shootings, many people were not willing to run the risk of being injured. Keep in mind that the same group that attempted to block the last election is still present and voters have still experienced intimidation and threats that if they went to vote, they would suffer the consequences. When local agitators are sitting outside polling places making a record of who is voting, it is to be expected that people will put their life and safety ahead of casting a ballot.

You mean like in the red shirt villages with total control.

But this is a great victory fort Thailand again no government can be formed.. one more day and the caretaker is gone. Then a month more and the elections are invalid.

People just did not want to vote..

No one in the "red shirt villages" was prevented from voting and no one shut down polling stations. There were no acts of intimidation in those areas.

Why then would you even attempt to compare the two very different circumstances? Despite the failure of the EC to carry out full polling, the electoral law has an allowance for delays due to catastrophic events. How many times does it have to be explained to you? A group attempted to prevent the election That group stole ballot boxes, attacked polling stations and attempted to disrupt registration. Do you understand what you are saying? If your biased view held, any group could prevent Thailand from having an election and an elected government. Fortunately, the electoral law makes allowance for this sort of thing. The Democrats have gambled and will once again find themselves on the outside looking in.

GK. Get real.

The fact that it IS a Red shirt village is intimidation . Do you HONESTLY believe that EVERYONE in the villages are Red shirts. Do you know HOW they decide to become a RED village?

Do you recall the recent remark from Petchawat Wattanapongsirikul " Petchawat said people who prefer dictatorship can move from the northern region to other parts of Thailand and warned actors and singers supporting the anti-government People Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) that Chiang Mai people do not welcome them."

thumbsup.gif

The no party have better policies than PTP who in turn have better policies than the Dems.

Sad state of affairs.

10% is very low. Does anyone know if there is a minimum turnout required?

If there is only one candidate running in that constituency, at least 20% of total voters must vote for him/her.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Can just see it now PTP winning in a landslide and not sitting a member for the constituency.

Bound to impress the well educated red shirts and PTP backers.wai.gif

thumbsup.gif

The no party have better policies than PTP who in turn have better policies than the Dems.

Sad state of affairs.

The Dem's weren't running, just in case you hadn't noticed.

• Like 1

Why would you pour water into a holey bucket anyway.

Voter apathy is a reflection of the fact that most people don't trust either of the major parties, and that new moderate parties with bold progressive leaders are long overdue and essential.

I don't follow you how this reflects on the Democrats they had no contenders in the race.

and that new moderate parties with bold progressive leaders are long overdue 
and essential.

Not sure about that one. Haven't really got that much knowledge of the Other I believe it was 60 parties registered.

Considering the past violence associated with the election and the recent drive by shootings, many people were not willing to run the risk of being injured. Keep in mind that the same group that attempted to block the last election is still present and voters have still experienced intimidation and threats that if they went to vote, they would suffer the consequences. When local agitators are sitting outside polling places making a record of who is voting, it is to be expected that people will put their life and safety ahead of casting a ballot.

You mean like in the red shirt villages with total control.

But this is a great victory fort Thailand again no government can be formed.. one more day and the caretaker is gone. Then a month more and the elections are invalid.

People just did not want to vote..

The election was called in accordance with the construction and Royal Decree.

Send from my Mobile

Sad state of affairs.

Pipkins, the Dems were not contesting the election.

I know - they wimped it.

The point is the no vote in this election seems to have achieved more than the Dems have been able to in the previous 5 elections.

Rather embarrassing record wouldn't you agree?

Should Abhisit and co. ever have the courage to contest an election again maybe they would have a bit more success if they changed their name from the Democrat party to the No party.

thumbsup.gif

Sad state of affairs.

Manofreason

Is indeed a reasonable man member for 4 days and 88 posts. Maybe with luck and I doubt it one was reasonable.

Has to drag the Democrats into every shameful act or showing the PTP continues to crank out. You have to give the he/she credit. He/she has a great imagination. They should write books for children.

• Like 1

Sad state of affairs.

Manofreason

Is indeed a reasonable man member for 4 days and 88 posts. Maybe with luck and I doubt it one was reasonable.

Has to drag the Democrats into every shameful act or showing the PTP continues to crank out. You have to give the he/she credit. He/she has a great imagination. They should write books for children.

Got the week off work - knee surgery. Thought I'd spend some time here to help the Yellows through this difficult period of the last, dying days of their insurrection with a bit of knowledge, logic and yes.....reason.

" Part two " of a projected four-part election, has again shown very little enthusiasm for this election. When 90 % of the voting public doesn't show up to non-obstructed polling stations, you know there is a very strong apathy. Part three will involve the Bangkok constituencies that were either partially or completely closed. And part four is the tricky one - the 28 constituencies without registered candidates. The EC and the administration are in a battle over these at the Constitutional Court, to determine if they need a new decree. Until all these elections are held, the administration doesn't have a whisper of a chance of getting a 95 % quorum. And then there is Article 7, which takes effect in two days, and Article 108. Both will doubtless be under intense scrutiny this month at the Constitutional Court.

Sad state of affairs.

I know - they wimped it.

The point is the no vote in this election seems to have achieved more than the Dems have been able to in the previous 5 elections.

Should Abhisit and co. ever have the courage to contest an election again maybe they would have a bit more success if they changed their name from the Democrat party to the No party.

you changed your name but still the same dribbling on..same same eh...w00t.gif

• Like 1

But the elections were unhindered this time around - I wonder how many 'no' votes there were, meaning that they garnered even less voters than the pathetic turnouts imply!!!

Beyond farcical!!!

I love how all the diehard Yellows scramble over to any thread they think supports their illegal and failing cause..

Low voter turnout is an obvious consequence of one side boycotting the election.

For example, If there was to be a boxing match held in Thailand between say, Rocky Balboa in the red shorts and Ivan Drago in the Yellow shorts - I'm sure it would be a sellout out.

However, should Ivan p*ss and sh*t his pants, run off crying to mummy and not show up to the fight - then I think we could all expect the attendance to drop off.

That must surely be the lamest analogy I have ever seen! Comparing spectators at a cancelled sporting event to an electorate at a polling station as an explanation of poor turnout - pathetic, truly pathetic.

You still insist, both now and when you were Pipkins, like the rest of your ilk, that because the majority of us have not fallen for the same brainless rhetoric your brainwasher tricked you with, that we must be likewise brainwashed by the Yellows. Many of us here have said time and time again, that we dislike the Yellow hardliners as much as the Red hardliners. Many of us also disdain at Suthep's means (although many agree with the ends - removal of corruption and the Shins from politics in Thailand, and an attempt to glean democracy in this country for the first time ever).

• Like 2

But the elections were unhindered this time around - I wonder how many 'no' votes there were, meaning that they garnered even less voters than the pathetic turnouts imply!!!

Beyond farcical!!!

I love how all the diehard Yellows scramble over to any thread they think supports their illegal and failing cause..

Low voter turnout is an obvious consequence of one side boycotting the election.

For example, If there was to be a boxing match held in Thailand between say, Rocky Balboa in the red shorts and Ivan Drago in the Yellow shorts - I'm sure it would be a sellout out.

However, should Ivan p*ss and sh*t his pants, run off crying to mummy and not show up to the fight - then I think we could all expect the attendance to drop off.

That must surely be the lamest analogy I have ever seen! Comparing spectators at a cancelled sporting event to an electorate at a polling station as an explanation of poor turnout - pathetic, truly pathetic.

You still insist, both now and when you were Pipkins, like the rest of your ilk, that because the majority of us have not fallen for the same brainless rhetoric your brainwasher tricked you with, that we must be likewise brainwashed by the Yellows. Many of us here have said time and time again, that we dislike the Yellow hardliners as much as the Red hardliners. Many of us also disdain at Suthep's means (although many agree with the ends - removal of corruption and the Shins from politics in Thailand, and an attempt to glean democracy in this country for the first time ever).

If you and your ilk were truly a majority then you wouldn't fear the voice of the people being expressed through an election , yet you do so you aren't. This nation has democracy - you just don't like the results so you deny it. The puritanical prosecution of corruption is an excuse by a minority to overthrow an elected government. Only the most naive fool could possibly believe that whoever forms government when this mess is over will put an end to corruption. This isn't about ending corruption, it's about who gets to put their snouts in the trough. At least with the Reds there is an upside to the improvement of the living standards of the poor and the upholding of democratic principles. So don't worry, the next time the BIB catch you on your scooter without a helmet you will still be able to slip them a hundred and be on your way no matter who's sitting in the big chair.

Edited by ManofReason
  • Like 1

fully agree. And the same will be in the Suthep Province Surat Thani. Remembers me back to the 30s in Germany/Italy

Why would you pour water into a holey bucket anyway.

Voter apathy is a reflection of the fact that most people don't trust either of the major parties, and that new moderate parties with bold progressive leaders are long overdue and essential.

yes, a new party is being worked on, once hitler gets his brown shirts ready..... i mean, when thaskin gets his red shirts ready i am sure he will select someone to be great. -_- like his other fat sister.

a new party to counter any crazy bat poop thaksin has added will be extreme. just saying

Sad state of affairs.

I know - they wimped it.

There is already a No Democrats party. It's called PTP

If you and your ilk were truly a majority then you wouldn't fear the voice of the people being expressed through an election , yet you do so you aren't. This nation has democracy - you just don't like the results so you deny it. The puritanical prosecution of corruption is an excuse by a minority to overthrow an elected government. Only the most naive fool could possibly believe that whoever forms government when this mess is over will put an end to corruption. This isn't about ending corruption, it's about who gets to put their snouts in the trough. At least with the Reds there is an upside to the improvement of the living standards of the poor and the upholding of democratic principles. So don't worry, the next time the BIB catch you on your scooter without a helmet you will still be able to slip them a hundred and be on your way no matter who's sitting in the big chair.

I was talking about the majority of poster, lord you need to learn how to read! Thus the rest of you diatribe is (like everything else you write) crap.

Beyond farcical!!!

There are also red supporters boycotting the election.

Then why did they boycotted?

Oh, they have found out the Rocky Balboa in the red short is a fake imitation.

It's not Rocky Balboa!!

Is Rusty Baboo…

thumbsup.gif

No, I didn't even mention the Dems, did I ? wink.png

I think it's significant that the turnout in former-Red areas was relatively low, with a high level of rejection amongst those who did bother to show-up, despite it being compulsory for all Thais to vote, and that normally national-elections see a much higher turnout.

I think it shows that very many ordinary-Thais and regular Red-Shirt supporters are disillusioned with the Isaan Darling, and with PTP's sorry-performance after two-and-a-half-years in-office, and that if there's no alternative to them, they'll express their disdain by simply not voting at all.

Think of it as "Respect My Not-Voting" ! facepalm.gif

But do you think the intended-recipients will get the message ?

Or are they still desperately following-orders, to hang onto power at-all-costs, and trying to ignore the apparent crumbling of their previously loyal-support ?

In the event of the election being declared null and void for whatever reason I guess there will have to be another one in the not too distant future?

Any guesses as to which party are more likely to win it?

Depends how many "reforms" they can put in place!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Beyond farcical!!!

There are also red supporters boycotting the election.

Then why did they boycotted?

Oh, they have found out the Rocky Balboa in the red short is a fake imitation.

It's not Rocky Balboa!!

Is Rusty Baboo…

No doubt individual Red supporters have opted out of the election - but the party didn't and that is the significant difference between the two sides. One trusts and respects the voters to choose their government and the other continually denies the voters their rights. There will eventually be a proper election, with no cowardly boycotts and I guess we'll all see what the voters truly think, until then....

Edited by ManofReason