Thai Wife International Driving Permit

Hi Guys

The dragon is coming back to Oz with me for a while and wants to drive around scaring the natives!

Where do we get her an international permit? Of course she does have a valid Thai licence, obtained after many years of highly skilled advanced training and many more months of dedicated study of the rules(of course being Thai she condensed it down to nearly a week in total). I have done a search and can find references to Farangs driving in Thailand with one but not vice versa.

Any help appreciated.

Rana

Hi Guys

The dragon is coming back to Oz with me for a while and wants to drive around scaring the natives!

Where do we get her an international permit? Of course she does have a valid Thai licence, obtained after many years of highly skilled advanced training and many more months of dedicated study of the rules(of course being Thai she condensed it down to nearly a week in total). I have done a search and can find references to Farangs driving in Thailand with one but not vice versa.

Any help appreciated.

Rana

If you're in BKK the land transport office at Mo Chit (same place as you get your licence) issue IDPs to Thai licence holders. Possibly other locations do too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Any help appreciated.

Rana

If you're in BKK the land transport office at Mo Chit (same place as you get your licence) issue IDPs to Thai licence holders. Possibly other locations do too.

Hi, does anyone know the criteria for a Thai to obtain an IDL. My partner now has a 5 year Thai license but has only passed the test as of 2 years ago. I had heard a license had to be held for 3 years + before an IDL was issued.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi, does anyone know the criteria for a Thai to obtain an IDL. My partner now has a 5 year Thai license but has only passed the test as of 2 years ago. I had heard a license had to be held for 3 years + before an IDL was issued.

Is this correct?

Thanks

From Department of Land Transport website, no. They only require a valid 5 year Thai license.

Hi Guys

Any help appreciated.

Rana

Dept. of Land Transportation, Chatujak, Bangkok. For some States in Australia you just need a translation of Thai driving licence.

my missus was driving around for a few years on Thai one, only had to change over when sprung talking on the phone (to me actually) and she never got a fine and drove on an interim for a month untill she got a real one. She had a letter from a translater here stating what the license was about though.

Wife got a IDP easily but she has been driving for years and has a lifetime Thai License that she refuses to change.

Good for first 12 months in the UK but now got a Provisional but now wants to sit test so need to get yet another new one ......

I think in the original post, something is mixed p. If the wife has a vlid Thai licence, she, of course can drive in Thailand. She as well can get an IDP, based on the Thai licence, which would, however, not be valid in the issuing country, i.e. Thailand.

I drove on my British licence and my Thai wife on her Thai licence for a year in Australia. Even when we got a ticket they were not too bothered about it and said as we were leaving in a couple of months anyway not to worry about it!

Yes you get it in Thailand, my fiancee was driving here in Oz and she said its so much easier driving here as she doesnt have to dodge all the motorbikes, she has her australian drivers license which she got on her first go, which was rather suprising as she is abit of a speed freak.

But if you have a IDL and go for your australian License you get your full license straight away and dont have to go through all the provisional crap