Floridian mango's VS Thai Namdocmai

There is no such thing as a Florida mango; because the weather is forgiving; they grow all kinds of fruit imported from somewhere else including Thai mango; Lychee, Longan (Lam Yai) etc.

If you ever tasted a tree ripened green skin Namdocmai with flavor exploding in your mouth and juice dribbling all over the place; especially refrigerator cold in a late hot afternoon, you will instantly know there is nothing to compare to!

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a Florida mango; because the weather is forgiving; they grow all kinds of fruit imported from somewhere else including Thai mango; Lychee, Longan (Lam Yai) etc.

If you ever tasted a tree ripened green skin Namdocmai with flavor exploding in your mouth and juice dribbling all over the place; especially refrigerator cold in a late hot afternoon, you will instantly know there is nothing to compare to!

I have 2 big ndm-green tree's and sure they taste better then all mango's i ever ate anywhere. Especially when you give them half a kg 0-0-60 like i did last year, they were sweeter then sugar almost. The problem with this mango is that they split and don't give much fruit.

I read that coconut-cream, lemon zest, carry, rapoza, and loads of other mango's in Florida are preferred above ndm grown there. That made me think why we don't have those variety's here.

http://www.toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?group=mango

ndm-green tastes better then ndm-gold if you love sweet. But i also like the tangy flavour of mango so maybe should grow another one as well.

Also australians love their own Kensington Pride or Bowen more then Namdocmai.

Soon i can eat my own grafted mango's like mahachanok, iwan, r2e2, okrung and some more so i can compare their taste. I didn't add loads of 0-0-60 this year so we will see how they taste. I am disappointed in the amount of ndm-green i have now and they are still falling. I think i will graft some more variety's on the tree soon.

India claims to have the sweetest mango. I really enjoyed those on offer when working there and am not sure that I could pick the Indian or the Thai variety as being superiour in taste to the other. I confine my preference in taste to the fully tree ripened, as compared to those picked green and hit with gas. The latter do not have the sweetness of the former.

India claims to have the sweetest mango. I really enjoyed those on offer when working there and am not sure that I could pick the Indian or the Thai variety as being superiour in taste to the other. I confine my preference in taste to the fully tree ripened, as compared to those picked green and hit with gas. The latter do not have the sweetness of the former.

Yes India also has great mango's, i have been there for a roundtrip. For me the mango's should not be sweeter then a green ndm from my own tree. I don't see the green ones a lot on the markets though, always the golden ndm. Okrung is even more sweet but tastes only sweet and no complicated flavors.

I am just wondering why there are so few sweet mango variety's in Thailand, always the same ones like namdocmai, keo savoy, kaew, okrung while there are hundreds of other great mango's on earth. Thai love to eat sweet so maybe that's why. I would like to try coconut-cream mango or icecream-mango (the variety icecream) or lemon zest but have no idea if they are as nice as the Thai mango's.

• 7 months later...

Production Facts
  • The mango acreage in Florida is approximately 2,000 acres, which represents approximately 200,000 trees (1).

• Production in Florida is estimated to be 100,000 bushels (5.5 million pounds) annually, although yearly production can vary greatly. At a price of $21 per bushel, this crop is worth $2.1 million (1,2).

Production Regions

Mango (Mangifera indica) is grown primarily in south Florida. In 2000, 83 percent of Florida's mango acreage was located in Miami-Dade County. The remainder of mango acreage is located in Lee, Palm Beach, and other counties with the appropriate climate (1,3).

Impressive statistics but all those trees originally originated somewhere else.

Perhaps should ask the OP if he meant mangoes grown in Fla. or indigenous to Fla.?

You wrote, "There is no such thing as a Florida mango." Mango's grow in Florida. The OP did not ask about indigenous plants why would he? They aren't indigenous to Thailand either. If you want to change it to a discussion of where mangoes come from fine. They come from South Asia not Thailand but the OP was not discussing India. The first recorded introduction into Florida was Cape Sable in 1833. . They grow all over South Florida and I've always had them in my backyard as I lived in Florida.

I was answering your statement that there is no such thing as a Florida Mango. I personally know of 28 different kinds of mango's growing in Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg216

Many small fruits, like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, dewberries, loganberries, huckleberries and grapes grow in Florida, as well as fruits like cantaloupe, honeydew melon and watermelon. Tree fruits, like persimmon, avocado, many varieties of citrus, pears and peaches will grow throughout the state, depending on the location and variety. South Florida, with its more tropical climate, will support a wide variety of crops not possible further north in the state. Bananas, coconut, mango, papaya, carambola and passion fruit are all tropical fruits that will grow in southern Florida.

Also australians love their own Kensington Pride or Bowen more then Namdocmai.

I have to agree with this but then again I'm a bit bias.

I've got 3 Bowen trees fruiting plus a dozen or more local variety. None of them were fertilized and just get a daily watering.

This year was a bumper crop that suffered a bit of storm damage just as they were ripening. The family were well impressed with the size and taste. They've planted the seeds and I can see in another 7 or so years plenty of Bowens fruiting in our area.

The Bowens were grown from seed and a bit slow fruiting. They took 7 years for first fruit. The first 2 years fruiting saw 6 or so mangoes per tree but this year the trees were overflowing with fruit.

Impressive statistics but all those trees originally originated somewhere else.

Perhaps should ask the OP if he meant mangoes grown in Fla. or indigenous to Fla.?

You wrote, "There is no such thing as a Florida mango." Mango's grow in Florida. The OP did not ask about indigenous plants why would he? They aren't indigenous to Thailand either. If you want to change it to a discussion of where mangoes come from fine. They come from South Asia not Thailand but the OP was not discussing India. The first recorded introduction into Florida was Cape Sable in 1833. . They grow all over South Florida and I've always had them in my backyard as I lived in Florida.

I was answering your statement that there is no such thing as a Florida Mango. I personally know of 28 different kinds of mango's growing in Florida. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg216

Many small fruits, like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, dewberries, loganberries, huckleberries and grapes grow in Florida, as well as fruits like cantaloupe, honeydew melon and watermelon. Tree fruits, like persimmon, avocado, many varieties of citrus, pears and peaches will grow throughout the state, depending on the location and variety. South Florida, with its more tropical climate, will support a wide variety of crops not possible further north in the state. Bananas, coconut, mango, papaya, carambola and passion fruit are all tropical fruits that will grow in southern Florida.

Read more: Which Fruits & Vegetables Grow in Florida? | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/95787-fruits-vegetables-grow-florida.html#ixzz3GSFlRwdO

Nice to see this forum alive.

My impression was; the OP was referring to indigenous Fla mango.

I am very familiar with stuff growing in Fla, I often supplement my garden here with Florida grown fruit & vegetables since it has the closest climate.

Sorry i forget this thread.

In the meantime i have 8 new mangovariety's grafted onto my tree's, i hope they will survive.

I started this thread to see what you guys think of the namdocmai compared to other mango's. I read many reviews from americans who prefer the american mango-variety's which i have never seen myself. Maybe they really taste better then ndm, i have no idea.

For me red mango's sure look much better then yellow or green ones but of course the taste is what it's all about. Now i have Sensation, Maya, Zills, Rosa, Ataulfo, Alphonso, Cushman, Lippens and Osteen. They are just grafted so fingers crossed. I allready have 10 thai variety's but one can never have enough different mango's in my opinion.

On Chatuchak i see loads of Taiwanese variety's for sale, if anybody can recommend them then please give me a name and i will buy them.

Americans rave about the mahachanook mango, for me a namdocmai tastes better but maybe grown in Florida the maha really tastes better?

Also there are many great indian mango's, Kesar and Alphonso are the top ones but again i have never tasted them.

Namdocmai is sure a great mango ( i prefer ndm-green above ndm-gold) but they are easy to get from the markets so i want to grow other variety's myself.

Okrung is very sweet but for me is a boring sweetness, i prefer complicated flavours.

Also my MIL had a very nice green eating mango, it was very crispy, not that sweet but with a great taste that keeps me eating from it. Unfortunately that tree has died and i wasn't able to clone it before it died. I have Brahm kai meu growing as well and hope it was that variety. Maybe this year it will flower on my tree's but if anybody can recommend me a great green eating mango then please do so.

Actually i really don't understand why the thai grow so many green mango's while they could have top-variety's with the same effort who would also fetch a much higher price then 30 baht a kg.

Mango is my favorit fruit and the ones from my own tree's taste much better then from the markets and far much better then from the supermarkets.