AIS Global Roaming for Reciveing Calls

Chao Lao Beach

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/3g-prepaid/package-rate/3/Australia%20and%20Oceania/25/Australia

Regarding the link above, in this case Oz, is it 39 Baht to receive a call on a Thai number while in Oz ? eg, AIS sim is being used in oz to receive calls of people ringing the number in Thailand.

Is this per min ?

Any one have experience with this mob ?

With VAT it is ~ 42 baht/min - charged to you/deducted from your prepaid balance - for any call, from anywhere to your Thai number. The calling party, if in Thailand, would pay their normal tariff (~ 1 baht/min). Further believe any fraction of a minute is billed the same so a 61 second call would cost you ~ 84 baht.

You have to enable international roaming with AIS, and your phone needs to support the local partner's (Vodafone or Singtel Optus) frequency.

Some recommend utilizing two phones, one to monitor incoming calls (but not answer them), and then return the call using a more reasonable local option.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

It's also good to note the 543B/MB for the data usage. Typically a news website frontpage load with all the adds is 3+ MB.

With VAT it is ~ 42 baht/min - charged to you/deducted from your prepaid balance - for any call, from anywhere to your Thai number. The calling party, if in Thailand, would pay their normal tariff (~ 1 baht/min). Further believe any fraction of a minute is billed the same so a 61 second call would cost you ~ 84 baht.

You have to enable international roaming with AIS, and your phone needs to support the local partner's (Vodafone or Singtel Optus) frequency.

Some recommend utilizing two phones, one to monitor incoming calls (but not answer them), and then return the call using a more reasonable local option.

Great, so the other calling Thai number would still be displayed like it would in Thailand, then can just return the call via Skype to the Thai mobile. This would be good.

so the other calling Thai number would still be displayed like it would in Thailand

Yes, save perhaps it might be displayed as 668nnnnNNNN, rather than 08n nnn-NNNN, but suspect you can figure that out easily enough. The number may match with those in your phone book. You can let the network reject the call or you can reject it on the phone. I often send an SMS back on missed calls, ~ 10 baht per, letting the caller know that I saw that they called and when (exactly: immediately, in 5 minutes, etc.) I plan to return their call. Obviously they may not recognize the number you use to call back, so that can result in additional phone tag. In Thailand they would not pay anything to receive your call, but some countries to charge for both incoming and outgoing calls. In most cases, it would count as a domestic call for them if billed for incoming calls.

With AIS roaming, if you forward all calls to voicemail you will receive an SMS from AIS (stating the caller ID) even if the caller hangs up immediately.

I don't use voicemail when not travelling so just have a permanent recorded greeting saying something like "I'm away, please send me an SMS and I'll call back". so not encouraging anyone to leave a message.

It is very quick to toggle forwarding on/off. I've become used to doing this and now much prefer not being disturbed by calls when travelling anyway. If it's urgent enough, I'll call back.

In practise most smart phone users need 2 phones (with local SIM card) anyway because data roaming is still ridiculously expensive.

With AIS you can register for voicemail by *141 call, press 1 and you should get a confirming SMS.

To access voicemail dial *99

In your phone you can forward/divert calls to any number; if you want to forward calls to your voicemail choose the required option (all calls, on busy, unanswered, unreachable), and forward to +668190099. I think this is the same number you'd dial if roaming to access your voicemails, assuming you were using your AIS SIM. Otherwise you may need to set up a password? You can also rely on the network to divert calls to voicemail with *149*9# send, and to cancel, *149*0# send.

I travel USA - Thailand.

I have a TRIPPLE SIM phone. I tell people in Thailand to call my THAI NUMBER - Let it RING 3 times - HANG UP!!!

I call Thailand back using my $15 a month - ( 200 minutes - can refill ) - US cell service using the REBTEL SERVICE at LESS THAN 2 CENTS a minute ( PREPAID service, I keep $10US in "the bank" )

TRIPPLE SIM Configured: AIS SIM ( 3G ) - PURE TALK SIM ( 3G ) - EMPTY SIM, used a 2 sim phone also the same way

Edited by edwardflory

Best bet is to tell your friends to install viber, on their phones, then, as others have said, a second phone and/or sim, then install viber. Free voice and text as long as you have internet connection, whether that is from your service provider, in Oz, or Wifi from a home network, café, airport etc.

Edited by Rorri