Physalis growing wild in Thailand ?

Just been shown a small yellow fruit growing in the grass on the small holding.Obviously a physalis was edible as the family were eating the very small berries.I've grown the Physalis peruviana in the Uk in the past.Doubt this is that cultivar but there are many varieties world wide.

Never seen for sale here anyone growing it?

This bigger peruvian variety sells very well in the Uk and is flown in from several locations to get crops available for much of the year.

post-2215-0-16792800-1394331523_thumb.jp

Yep ... they grow wild. I've seen them in Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Pathom, and probably in the mountains of Chiang Mai but I don't remember for sure. Now, I'm living near Had Yai city and they grow wild here too. I've also never seen them for sale. I take the fruits that have fallen off the plant, and squeeze them over an area where I want them to grow. If I eat too many at one time though I get an unpleasant taste in my mouth. It's a Nightshade, right, and some people avoid all Nightshades because, they say, there are toxins.

The nightshades (Solanums) include a huge range of our main vegetables.Ranging from potatoes through tomatoes,capsicums and chillis to aubergines.Physalis is just a very small part of this genus.There are plenty in the solanum family you wouldn't want to eat.