Ford Ranger 3.2 Wheel/tyre upgrade options

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yep, That's pretty normal, most speedos are a few % conservative from the factory. Slight increase in tyre OD just improves the speedo accuracy.

I beg your pardon????????

OK since you asked so nicely... Pardon granted. whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

You guys are too much .... clap2.gif

Yep, That's pretty normal, most speedos are a few % conservative from the factory. Slight increase in tyre OD just improves the speedo accuracy.

I would have thought that it depends whether the inaccuracy was in a positive or negative direction. It could make the reading worse.

Outside of Ace of Pop land, the budgies are omitted and Speedos are setup from the factory to show a slightly higher speed than actual. Some regions have regulations requiring this.

Oversize tyres usually use some of the error margin and make the speedo reading slightly more accurate. At least that is the case when the tyres are within 3 or 4% of OEM. Above that and issues with speedo accuracy, brakes etc are more likely.

Edited by Jitar

Some useful info and as usual some not so thatnk for all your replies.

At the moment i have not been able to find any alloys that I actually like so will keep looking until I find something.

As the quote of car being worth half its value already and Ford being crap in Thailand thats a matter of opinion, a near 2 year waiting list for a 3.2WT suggests different to me. Add to this a farrang guy offered me 1.3million thb last week in Big C carpark also suggests there must be many other mugs out there that disagree.

Anyway at present I am happy with my purchase and only time will tell on any future issues.

On a slightly seperate note where are the best places within the Pattaya/Chonburi area to find a decent cover for the pick up bed, I have heard many issues with the roller shutter type.

Anyone have any useful advice.

Some useful info and as usual some not so thatnk for all your replies.

At the moment i have not been able to find any alloys that I actually like so will keep looking until I find something.

As the quote of car being worth half its value already and Ford being crap in Thailand thats a matter of opinion, a near 2 year waiting list for a 3.2WT suggests different to me. Add to this a farrang guy offered me 1.3million thb last week in Big C carpark also suggests there must be many other mugs out there that disagree.

Anyway at present I am happy with my purchase and only time will tell on any future issues.

On a slightly seperate note where are the best places within the Pattaya/Chonburi area to find a decent cover for the pick up bed, I have heard many issues with the roller shutter type.

Anyone have any useful advice.

Solid covers lifting tend to be either plastic or composite.

The cheaper ones just hinge from the front to open like a trunk, others lift horizontally to cab height which permits the carrying of bulkier items.

some are manual others are electric.

i must say that after a few years the fibreglass ones tend to look a bit shabby.....and there is the extra weight too.

You could more likely fit a luggage or spare wheel rack to a fibreglass one though.

you need to look at how weather/water/dust-proof you need as well.

10 years ago I wanted to by a dozen rear covers so I rang Carryboy whose MD at the time explained to me that I didn't need any as there was no market for them in Thailand.

Despite the fact that they made them for export, he refused to consider selling any to me for use in Thailand. - what a jerk!

BTW - if you need any off road stuff, i ca probably sot you out. PM me if interested.

Most manufacturers speedos are now pretty damned accurate - contrary to some theories - For accuracy, if you don't have GPS and you want to check your real speed against the speedo, go on a motorway, most have kilometre posts set up....so all you need is a co-driver with a mobile phone with stop watch. Check this against the indicated speed on your speedo.

Inaccuracies - Any increase in wheel diameter will throw out the readings on your speedo, which to put it simply doesn't know you are travelling further for every revolution of the wheel. (some posters appear not to understand this.)

....you could of course fit a different final drive ratio....but that's probably going a bit too far.

With the big tires on, at 120 my old 4x4 would actually be travelling at around 133kph. ...i wondered why everyone was suddenly driving so slowly.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Ford being crap in Thailand is fact not opinion.... ask me how I know :-)

Having read about your issues I can only simpathyse with you and if you read the OP I fully agree that certainly the Pattaya Ford Branch has alot to learn in many areas.

IMHO they are not doing themselves any favours in building their brand image but only time will tell if i can have trouble free motoring or not.

Have never owned a new Ford in my life and now I have both a top of range Focus & Ranger and after nearly 18 months with the Focus no issues apart from the TSB on the gearbox which is in the process of being fixed.

Again having looked at many products from all other manufacturer Ford still came out top of my requirement in both classes and the numbers I see on the road must also dictate other feel similarly.

Watch out for a couple of clasified ads in future from me with discount firesale Fords, lol

Edited by blacknight

Outside of Ace of Pop land, the budgies are omitted and Speedos are setup from the factory to show a slightly higher speed than actual. Some regions have regulations requiring this.

Oversize tyres usually use some of the error margin and make the speedo reading slightly more accurate. At least that is the case when the tyres are within 3 or 4% of OEM. Above that and issues with speedo accuracy, brakes etc are more likely.

Hope you've got good tires....keep on the road as you go round the bend......

Hope you've got good tires....keep on the road as you go round the bend......

Thanks for your concern, yes I have good tyres.

Seems you are already round the bend so perhaps I will see you when I get there.