Five killed in two-car crash with elephant in Thailand

webfact

I bet this guy goes home and pays his Thai wife to let him take her out to dinner so he can bully someone in person who doesn't punchoose him in the face for his totally inappropriate insults toward someone who is thoughtfull, considerate and politely religious. What an animal you are, sir.

Sad to see Human Beings Lives and Wild Life lives wasted, because of SPEED. It is my understanding in Thailand, Elephants and Cattle have the Right-of-way.

I hope Alcohol was not involed. Speed Kills, Speed and Alcohol make it worse. God Bless !!

Jerry

Please keep in mind that this comes from Thai PBS which is a good Thai TV channel, but their English articles leave something to be desired.

When they say speeding it could also mean driving at speed. Once you get out of Ban Bueng the road is straight and fairly well paved. Normal speeds on this road is 100-120km.

However, it has shrubbery and trees right up until the edge of the road. If it is dark (5.20AM remember) and an elephant suddenly comes out of the bush you have no time to brake if it is 50 meter in front of you. Forget it.

Many years ago we hit a moose in Norway driving 100. Same. BANG!

You are quick to judge churchman. What does your "good book" say about such? Something about casting the first stone? Hmm?

''thoughtfull, considerate and politely religious. What an animal you are, sir.''

Based on your 'unpolite' response, you might be consideted more of an animal than the poster that you are criticizing...

One must always appear better than the one being criticized....at the least..

Indeed.

I fail to see how I was "an animal". I did goad Mr. God Bless. I did not see anything thoughtful, nor considerate in his post.

I just saw a bunch of assumptions. About speed kills, some nonsense about right of way of cattle and elephants.

Seems neither poster has ever hit an animal while driving down a country road. It is tragic when this happens and most time you cannot do ANYTHING.

However, rjenman did make assumptions and insinuations about my relationship with my wife. That is insulting.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly it would seem the elephant has now died. Possibly the elephants were hungry and were looking for food outside the nature reserve. It would seem rangers were out looking for them but arrived too late.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2579092/Six-people-ELEPHANT-killed-three-car-pile-Thailand.html

That is very saddening.

I bet this guy goes home and pays his Thai wife to let him take her out to dinner so he can bully someone in person who doesn't punchoose him in the face for his totally inappropriate insults toward someone who is thoughtfull, considerate and politely religious. What an animal you are, sir.

Now that is insulting. To me and especially my wife.

Apologize.

Mr. Made-an-account-in-2012 and has posted all of 6 times. Did you get out of line before and banned so you dug up a backup account?

once again we see speed taking its toll on irresponsible people but it would be good if the thai morbidity of having to stop to see bodies and injured people stopped as well. It amazes me when there is blood shed that people all want to gather around to look at it, what a pack of sickos. The only ones stopping should be those helping and why didnt the police put out safety warnings/lights so others were aware of the accident so they could slow down/avoid more deaths and damage.

Safety warning/lights etc., come on now this IS Thailand, do you really expect a show of intelligence in these situations.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

sorry, my bad, should have said, "broke off a tree branch and put it on the road"blink.png

once again we see speed taking its toll on irresponsible people but it would be good if the thai morbidity of having to stop to see bodies and injured people stopped as well. It amazes me when there is blood shed that people all want to gather around to look at it, what a pack of sickos. The only ones stopping should be those helping and why didnt the police put out safety warnings/lights so others were aware of the accident so they could slow down/avoid more deaths and damage.

O please people slow down for everything along the road, its not just Thailand. Lived the sheltered life it would appear. I do not care where you are at people will slow down and rubber neck for the wreck.

sheltered life, had to pick up body parts after an accident many years ago, identify dead bodies etc , I dont think sheltered is exactly right. Slowing down is always on the cards but when they stop and the whole family pushes through to see the blood and guts it tends to get a bit sickening and that is exacxtly what I see a lot of here, many thais have a morbid sense on reality.

Headline: Five killed. Article: 3 killed in first car + 1 killed in second car....... total 4 fatalities........

Article: "The female elephant was seriously injured with broken legs".......... and then the article states: ".......sending a truck to take the badly injured male elephant for treatment".

Journalism at it's best.

People do that in every country, not just Thai's in Thailand. And who said the police had arrived yet? From what was written it sounded like those first on the scene, being other motorists, had stopped and this is when the second accident happened.

Thai morbidity? or just farang that like to beat a story up anytime they can..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Shocking. I hope the elephant can be saved. We drive that road on occasion. Seems to be just farm country.

They have wild elephants in that area still?

Yes wild elephants in that area is a big surprise to me too. A quick look on google earth and there is a fairly large forested area just 2km to the west of the road. It's not big, just 5km across and maybe 7km North to South. Hard to belive they could survive in such a small area. To reach the road though they had to have crossed several km of farmland and in addition they were headed off into nowhere, the next significant forest to the north or east, the direction they were headed in, is 50km away. There is a bit of forest to the south but that doesn't take them across that road. Maybe off on a bit of crop raiding, lots of great smelling fruits coming into season.

Perhaps one day, a wide swath of land full of elephant fun will be provided for each and every floppy eared giant. Too many times, I see these hapless pachyderms being utilized in the sleazier tourist areas, looking for handouts from drunks and unwise travelers. Giving money makes it funny, but you are just signed a death warrant/life of misery for this creature. One day, I hope well wishers will spread this information, and deny income, apply fines, and relocate these animals to a more remote, and safe area. Safe for us, and safe for them.

RAYONG
Six people and an elephant killed in accidents

Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

30229066-03_big.jpg

RAYONG: -- A total of six people and an elephant were killed yesterday when a Pajero crashed into three wild elephants crossing Ban Beung-Klaeng Road at 4am yesterday in Rayong's Wang Chan district.

One of the victims was identified as Singaporean Jonathan Bowen Lim. Three elephants were injured but a male later succumbed to injuries.

The Pajero carrying four people crashed into the elephants, killing two of its passengers at the scene.

While rescue workers were using heavy machines to remove the injured victims from the wrecked vehicle, a six-wheel truck slowed down to watch the rescue and a tailing Toyota Vigo pickup ran into its rear. The pickup truck driver was instantly killed and three others wounded.

Two injured passengers from the Pajero and a passenger of the pickup were later pronounced dead in hospital.

DNP deputy director general Theerapat Prayurasiddhi said the injured elephants would be sent for medical treatment at Kasetsart University's Kamphaengsaen campus or Khao Khiew Khao Chompu Wildlife Sanctuary.

Meanwhile, the owner of a female domesticated elephant that died last year in official care, has filed a lawsuit in the Civil Court for Bt2.5 million in compensation from the state natural resources and wildlife protection agency.

The civil court will hold the first hearing of this case on May 19.

The elephant named " Tang Mo" was three years and eight months old when it died of unknown causes.

Natiwin Amornsin, owner of the young elephant, said his compensation lawsuit was the first of its kind against the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.

Tang Mo had been seized by the department in 2012 and died last year. "Her death was unusual," Natiwin said.

The department seized the elephant, suspecting it could be classified as a wild elephant. Natiwin was unable to show elephant identification documents for it and the animal was placed in the care of the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre.

Officials, however, took no action against Natiwin as they had insufficient evidence to prove his elephant was a wild one.

He told them he had bought the elephant for Bt790,000 from local sellers in the northeastern province of Buri Ram in 2010, when Tang Mo was two years old.

" I have all documents [needed] to prove that my elephant was domesticated and not a wild elephant," he said.

" No one from the department said sorry to me for the death of my elephant," he added.

The ministry's permanent secretary Chote Trachu said his agency would pay Natiwin's compensation if the court ordered the ministry to do so.

The department's acting director-general, Nipon Chotibal, said according to an internal investigation, no officials were involved in the death of Natiwin's elephant.

" No one neglected their duties in taking care of her," he said.

Surasit Mutusahim, a member of a committee tasked to resolve the problem, said his committee had instructed the government to pay over Bt2 million for Natiwin as compensation for the death of his elephant in November last year, but so far there had been no progress with the payment.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-13

Safety warning/lights etc., come on now this IS Thailand, do you really expect a show of intelligence in these situations.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

sorry, my bad, should have said, "broke off a tree branch and put it on the road"blink.png

Better than nothing, at least Thai drivers understand "the significance" even if they choose not to slow down.

Headline: Five killed. Article: 3 killed in first car + 1 killed in second car....... total 4 fatalities........

Article: "The female elephant was seriously injured with broken legs".......... and then the article states: ".......sending a truck to take the badly injured male elephant for treatment".

Journalism at it's best.

well, it's nearly right, so close enough.

6 years ago we started building our house. At night, we stopped at a resort which was near the town of Ban Kruat. It was always dark when we made the journey to the resort but most nights, we would pass a Thai (?) guy leading an elephant along the road -- equipped with a red flashing light hung on it's rear end. OK., not a wild elephant but at least someone here who had some sense.....

Sad to see Human Beings Lives and Wild Life lives wasted, because of SPEED. It is my understanding in Thailand, Elephants and Cattle have the Right-of-way.

I hope Alcohol was not involed. Speed Kills, Speed and Alcohol make it worse. God Bless !!

Jerry

I didnt read anything in the article that your god had anything to do with it....

the first accident is hardly an argument for Thai driver skill bashing as it could have happened in other countries as well (just different animals)

The second accident is plain stupid from the police to not mark the place properly.

good to see the elephant gets taken care of (by humans no god) and hope to see it lives another day back on her feet again

God willing!

It could only happen here!

Pretty difficult to happen in England wouldn't you say? blink.png

Jesus, what's up with you people, do you have to rip apart everything Thai, thank god you don't live here, you'd hate it .

Edited by 10Yen

It could only happen here!

Pretty difficult to happen in England wouldn't you say? blink.png

Jesus, what's up with you people, do you have to rip apart everything Thai, thank god you don't live here, you'd hate it .

NO "Jesus, whats up with you Thai apologists ? You are defending Thai driving. Try to grow some skin.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

police showing their usual professionalism by not taking control and safely organising the scene of the crash.

There's always one ready to get an uninformed dig in at the police, isn't there?

And well deserved...the extra lives killed because nobody bothers to secure the areas way in front of an accident and slow or stop traffic......seems a very logical thing to do...but here....thinking be gone.