Thai judges want special court marshals to protect them

webfact

Now why was it that judges here are sometimes intimidated?

Maybe a good look into the mirror is in order??

My entire live I have never heard of a judge being threatened or intimidated in the country where I come from! That is because people respect the law - and nobody is above the law!

If a court thinks that it is responsible to people who are "above the law" who tell them which way certain judgments have to go - then they don't need protection but they need to be fired and replaced!

Until the country has a truly independent judiciary with judges who have the guts to stand up and have the people who try to interfere with their work arrested and thrown in jail - no matter who they are nothing will change!

Why would anybody respect somebody who tries to claim high moral ground but is just as corrupt as anybody else in this country?

"Now why was it that judges here are sometimes intimidated?"

Could it be that certain people have taken it upon themselves, or been employed to do so, to spread misinformation and downright lies about the courts in an attempt to make the propagandists seem the wronged party, as they (the propagandists) continually ignore, break and flaunt the law? Then those less educated people that believe those lies are encouraged to feel discriminated against and to act on those feelings, to the extent that violence is deemed acceptable, if not necessary.

Now ask yourself what would happen to propagandists spreading malicious lies about the courts in your country. Would they be believed? Would quite legitimate decisions of the courts be labelled a "judicial coup"?

An answer to your last question - Because he is not as corrupt as the current man in power who is outside the country, and he is not seeking to control the country himself.

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 1

hmmmmm....

Asking for 'court marshals' an unfortunate choice of words.

Yes, confusing when there is a limited understanding of English, (not your's I hasten to add), but of course that to which you are referring is termed

"COURTS MARSHALL", as opposed to "COURT MARSHALLS".

Noooo.... I believe what PepperMe was referring to as an unfortunate choice of words would actually relate to "court-martials".

True, but the plural is "courts martial"

My entire live I have never heard of a judge being threatened or intimidated in the country where I come from! That is because people respect the law - and nobody is above the law!

If a court thinks that it is responsible to people who are "above the law" who tell them which way certain judgments have to go - then they don't need protection but they need to be fired and replaced!

Until the country has a truly independent judiciary with judges who have the guts to stand up and have the people who try to interfere with their work arrested and thrown in jail - no matter who they are nothing will change!

Why would anybody respect somebody who tries to claim high moral ground but is just as corrupt as anybody else in this country?

Could it be that certain people have taken it upon themselves, or been employed to do so, to spread misinformation and downright lies about the courts in an attempt to make the propagandists seem the wronged party, as they continually ignore, break and flaunt the law? Then those less educated people that believe those lies are encouraged to feel discriminated against and to act on those feelings, to the extent that violence is deemed acceptable, if not necessary.

Now ask yourself what would happen to propagandists spreading malicious lies about the courts in your country. Would they be believed? Would quite legitimate decisions of the courts be labelled a "judicial coup"?

An answer to your last question - Because he is not as corrupt as the current man in power who is outside the country, and he is not seeking to control the country himself.

JRsoul - so you are blaming the judges if I'm reading your post correctly - well a dead Judge is of no use to anyone

Judges deal with those that break the law - law enforcement agencies such as the police enforce the law - you see were I'm going with this - right

Edited by smedly

Could it be that certain people have taken it upon themselves, or been employed to do so, to spread misinformation and downright lies about the courts in an attempt to make the propagandists seem the wronged party, as they continually ignore, break and flaunt the law? Then those less educated people that believe those lies are encouraged to feel discriminated against and to act on those feelings, to the extent that violence is deemed acceptable, if not necessary.

JRsoul - so you are blaming the judges if I'm reading your post correctly - well a dead Judge is of no use to anyone

Judges deal with those that break the law - law enforcement agencies such as the police enforce the law - you see were I'm going with this - right

Read incorrectly. I am blaming those who spread lies about the courts to absolve their crimes. I have edited the post , hopefully my meaning will be clearer.

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 1

Family courts deal with issues including parental disputes over the upbringing of children and some aspects of domestic violence.

Judges dealing with sensitive issues – including child custody – in the family courts have had hate mail sent to their homes, been physically attacked and been victims of attempted assaults in court buildings, according to information obtained by the Guardian.

Just for your information CNX that's in the UK.

Could it be that certain people have taken it upon themselves, or been employed to do so, to spread misinformation and downright lies about the courts in an attempt to make the propagandists seem the wronged party, as they (the propagandists) continually ignore, break and flaunt the law? Then those less educated people that believe those lies are encouraged to feel discriminated against and to act on those feelings, to the extent that violence is deemed acceptable, if not necessary.

It certainly could be, but I don't believe it is the case, and many international media outlets with no skin in the game have expressed their bafflement at some of the courts' recent decisions.

You may now blame those international media, but to use your own argument against you, I firmly believe those have been smeared in a propaganda attempt by the PDRC. While one can always point to a bad piece of journalism, overall, I think the international media coverage has been a lot deeper and informative than the biased local reporting.

I think this ncountry have more judges than generals. What is the problem ????? Start from scratch, the whole country !!! Everything here is f--ked up. You do not need 3000 generals in the armed forces. You do not njeed 3000+ generals in the police forces. 3 to 8 in each would be OK.

If you didn't have lots and lots generals and numerous other assorted ranks in the army, the police and the rest what would you do with all those medals they wear? That must be a huge industry here in Thailand. Even the PM's little kid has more medals on his uniform that a western army war hero.

Judges should be stuck with police "protection" like everyone else. Then maybe they can do something to make that organization more effective and professional. Frankly, another indepdendent organization is the last thing Thailand needs. But maybe the judges can hire Suthep's armed guards, even the military doesn't bother them.

Do you think judges are as stupid as the UDD?

Police are useless, some can hardly hold or fire a gun, not to mention easily bribed or bought.

If judges are seriously worried about their safety, perhaps best choice would be to bring pro bodyguards from overseas or rent Swiss guard at least until everything settles and law and order is restored

That will happen when the last red shirt dies

Family courts deal with issues including parental disputes over the upbringing of children and some aspects of domestic violence.

Judges dealing with sensitive issues – including child custody – in the family courts have had hate mail sent to their homes, been physically attacked and been victims of attempted assaults in court buildings, according to information obtained by the Guardian.

Just for your information CNX that's in the UK.

Interesting how often people compare the UK to Thailand and not in a good way.

You have the privilege to have been born where you were born and at the time you were born. If you had been born a century or several earlier, intimidation of judiciary, and a plethora of other "teething" problems in your fledgling civilization would have been a very real part of your life.

What, I ask you, is the point of posting what you posted? "Look at me, look at me, I can take the moral highground because I was fortunate enough to have been born into a civilized country". Then to imply that judges lack "guts"? I challenge you to be brave enough to do their job for one single week! I'm afraid to report that your being from such a civilized nation has apparently done nothing for your character. Thais and their country are going through some serious problems- but to take your judgmental viewpoint and not recognise the 'bigger picture' of reform and revolution that is being attempted, albeit in a very Thai manner, to me is disgraceful from one who ought by his own admission to know better about such things.

One does not overturn centuries of practice and systems in a single day and nor is it written in stone that Thailand must evolve in exactly the same way as any other country. There are multiple ways to run a civilization and while I would not say any one country has got it right yet, I would similarly not judge any one country by comparison to anything other than itself. By what right would we do otherwise? Certainly not any moral right.

Edited by OxfordWill

It certainly could be, but I don't believe it is the case, and many international media outlets with no skin in the game have expressed their bafflement at some of the courts' recent decisions.

You may now blame those international media, but to use your own argument against you, I firmly believe those have been smeared in a propaganda attempt by the PDRC. While one can always point to a bad piece of journalism, overall, I think the international media coverage has been a lot deeper and informative than the biased local reporting.

Take a look at the events of 2010. PPP were disbanded for breaking electoral law, with clear evidence of guilt. The Abhisit Democrat government was installed by a vote of the majority of MPs, the same as happens in many multi-party governments. Yet this was labelled a "judicial coup" and hundreds of northern citizens came to BKK tp protest a coup - 4 years and 3 governments too late - fed on lies and misinformation, fomented to violence by the Thaksin-paid propagandists of UDD.

That the foreign media doesn't understand is no mystery, most are little more than paid tourists, with little interest past what is spoon-fed to them.

Every court in the USA has marshalls to protect the courts. I sure Europe has them also. I was surprised to hear Thailand has no dedicated protection for their judges and staff.

Very much needed.

I've not been to every court in the USA. It's true that many have Court Protection Officers, Bailiffs, Marshall's or some other type of armed, sworn or commissioned Peace Officer. However, they don't provide 24-hour protection unless there has been a threat or credible danger to the judge, magistrate or other court official.

What I see lacking in some segments of Thai society, is a disregard for law and order. It's not a Thai phenomenon. It's just more "In your face", because we are here and now.

hmmmmm....

Asking for 'court marshals' an unfortunate choice of words.

Yes, confusing when there is a limited understanding of English, (not your's I hasten to add), but of course that to which you are referring is termed

"COURTS MARSHALL", as opposed to "COURT MARSHALLS".

Noooo.... I believe what PepperMe was referring to as an unfortunate choice of words would actually relate to "court-martials".

True, but the plural is "courts martial"

Courts Martial all around; well certainly for my spelling.