Bangkok Utensil Shopping

bruce3404

I've got a nice long list of things I need to buy for my US kitchen: flat bottom wok, large thai clay mortar with wooden pestle (presumably for som tum), a wide aluminum chinese steamer, a clay pot and a papaya shredder (preferably Kiwi brand). These all come from Andy Ricker's Pok Pok cookbook and I figured since I have some baggage allowance, I might as well source all this stuff in BKK. Where's a good place to buy this? I realize Chatuchak would be one place, but I'm staying over near the Krung Thon Buri BTS, so I was hoping I could find the stuff closer to my BKK home.

A couple of things look odd about that list.

Clay mortar? For somtam? I've never seen a clay mortar in Thailand. Somtam is made in a wooden mortar. But then, if you mean a granite mortar, then it's used with a granite pestle for making pastes, not somtam.

What sort of clay pot? Is this for Chinese-style rice and bits baked together?

Anyway, you should find all of that, apart from the clay pot, at any regular supermarket - Big C or Tesco-Lotus being the obvious choices. (The shredder won't be Kiwi brand, but a local brand that will cost a fraction of the price and do the job just as well. The one I have has a swivel head which makes it easier to store.)

Yeah I had to wonder about a clay mortar as well, since I've only seen the wooden ones. Seems like clay would break into a thousand pieces. I've got a nice granite mortar and pestle already, so I'll just look for the large wooden ones like you see on the streets. Thanks for your response!

A couple of things look odd about that list.

Clay mortar? For somtam? I've never seen a clay mortar in Thailand. Somtam is made in a wooden mortar. But then, if you mean a granite mortar, then it's used with a granite pestle for making pastes, not somtam.

What sort of clay pot? Is this for Chinese-style rice and bits baked together?

Anyway, you should find all of that, apart from the clay pot, at any regular supermarket - Big C or Tesco-Lotus being the obvious choices. (The shredder won't be Kiwi brand, but a local brand that will cost a fraction of the price and do the job just as well. The one I have has a swivel head which makes it easier to store.)

clay mortar wooden pestle. not sure what you are on about i see them daily about every hundred meters.

cwlm0701.jpg

8622899413_54235c9ba5_z.jpg

krokpoon.jpg

som-tum.jpg?w=324&h=431

in fact, i would say the style of mortar you say you have never seen is, in my experience dominant.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=thai+somtam+mortar+and+pestle&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=4GUhU_qBIubmiAeHy4GYBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1140&bih=760#q=thai+somtam+mortar+and+pestle&tbm=isch

And, yes, I saw a clay mortar yesterday when I was walking about paying attention to such things. Must have been an inch thick and even larger than the one pictured. I'll check out the Mall suggested above and just ride the bus from the BTS/subway if necessary.

When you get that clay mortar back home, the first thing I'd do is test the glazing for lead. Imagine grinding and leaching lead into your food for the life of a clay mortar.

Also, don't be surprised if they confiscate it at customs since clay plates, bowls and such from Asia have a bad reputation for lead in the glaze. Not saying it will happen. I don't know, but I'd be ready for it.

Edited by impulse

Hello All, depending where you live in the US, you can get all list a

an Asian grocery store with an large Asian population. I bought

most of those things in the SF/Bay Area. Seattle, Portland, LA all

have Thai/Cam/Vet/Lao stores. NYC, Chicago and other major

population centers.

AyG, I bet that the som tum made in clay kooks in Iasn is 300,000

to every wood 1.

rice555

Pok Pok is a great website as is cooking with poo and chez pim (other websites are available) but you must understand that each will recommend styles of preparation according to to where they are. So, a website based in Thailand may well recommend making seasoning pastes in a mortar and pestle whereas one based in Europe or the US may advise using a food processor.

The method can be important and should be followed if possible however more important is the ingredients.

If you can get real ingredients then it will make little difference if you stand there for 20 minutes bashing the hell out of them or 30 seconds in a food processor.

Unless of course that it it's a matter of style over substance.

America has so many cultures that have assimilated into daily life. You would be better off buying cooking utensils in your local China/Korea/Thai town.

Take home what you really can't get...... recipes from your local food stall. Photos of your whole meal preparation.... Chefs love being the centre of atttraction.... Twists on the menu.....

But at the end of the day..... have fun cooking.... if it's a chore then you will never serve good food. no matter how many authentic utensils you have.

• 2 weeks later...

Pok Pok is a great website as is cooking with poo and chez pim (other websites are available) but you must understand that each will recommend styles of preparation according to to where they are. So, a website based in Thailand may well recommend making seasoning pastes in a mortar and pestle whereas one based in Europe or the US may advise using a food processor.

The method can be important and should be followed if possible however more important is the ingredients.

If you can get real ingredients then it will make little difference if you stand there for 20 minutes bashing the hell out of them or 30 seconds in a food processor.

Unless of course that it it's a matter of style over substance.

America has so many cultures that have assimilated into daily life. You would be better off buying cooking utensils in your local China/Korea/Thai town.

Take home what you really can't get...... recipes from your local food stall. Photos of your whole meal preparation.... Chefs love being the centre of atttraction.... Twists on the menu.....

But at the end of the day..... have fun cooking.... if it's a chore then you will never serve good food. no matter how many authentic utensils you have.

agree 100% we did it the other way round,except buying a good bok bok which would take up half your baggage allowance we bought better quality at china town in the uk.Cardiff.any good quality utensils here will cost at least treble to what the op.should be able to get in the us.

Good pick up AyG. It would appear so. I can't find anywhere that one lays claim the other. If it's O.K. To post links this is the thai utensil manufacturer. http://www.kiwiandkomkom.com if not very sorry moderators. I came across them as achef, their dirt cheap (under $10 in au) knives give as good an edge as my $500 German knife, they just don't hold it as long.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand