First Filipino's, now a Farang hustler?

BruceMangosteen

I used to let the Lucky Indian guy on Sukhumvit go all the way through his routine. At the end of his hypnosis/suggestion routine when he tries to get you to eat a small piece of paper I agree but request that he now answer a few of MY questions and confirm a few of MY assertions. I even asked him about his success rates.

Yeah, I've had him, but I didn't let him get past the second "lucky". Now you mention it though, what scam exactly is he trying to pull?

Like the rest of them; the bargirl, the boiler room yob, the Philippina "poor children" scam work on suggestion.

They try ask for it near the end.

Google "what is the lucky Indian trying to make you do"

You will be simply amazed.

Then Google scams and scammers. Travellers, boiler rooms, time shares, romance scams etc.

You can add fitness center, MLM's and Scientology to this too.

And then as you get more aware, go to mass media. Look for stuff attributed to, "official sources" "police" etc.

We are being tricked like this all the time.

Trust no one ;-)

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

that bloke with the parot takes it with him into restaurants and the parot eats food from the bloke's plate, its bonkers....

Seen 'em myself.

I think the two of 'me have some sort of sex thing happening.

Just sayin'.

But who's the giver then?

Edited by lostinisaan

that bloke with the parot takes it with him into restaurants and the parot eats food from the bloke's plate, its bonkers....

Seen 'em myself.

I think the two of 'me have some sort of sex thing happening.

Just sayin'.

But who's the giver then?

I meant "the two of 'em" as in "the two of them."

As for who is putting out and to answer your question, I think that the whole purpose any con is to blur this distinction.

When the mark or the victim has been tricked into accepting that he is lucky to be hit up for his money, let in on a deal, sharing intimacy, whatever angle the roper may be working the scammer springs the trap.

The mark "gives" nothing. The scammer TAKES ;-)

The guy has been here a long time, Canada and Hawaii. Nice guy, used to do the photos for free but got more and more and more so he said "100 or 200 baht" up to you and not so many photos taken.

Can't blame him if he gets bothered too much. Nothing wrong with a pet, parrot, dog, cat that people take with them. Makes them feel good and does not bother me one little bit.

I am often seen with one of my new pets.... Lek.....Noi.....Pui.....Wan....Tic.....and nobody is bothered either.....

When I have a few minutes to kill will I use a Philippina starving childrens' scammer to kill the time.

They used to buttonhole me at the Thonglor BTS.

And of course they are easy to spot.

I'd listen intently while scoping the environs for the backup man, the urgent look sidesaddle partner, the apprentice scammers.

I always tried to encourage them to get to the end of their spiel.

I then rated the spiel on a scale of one to ten with considerations for English fluency, accent, confidence, sincerely, credibility and overall presentation skills.

I'd then tell them that I gave at the office.

They always got it.

They are much more fun than the begging nuns or monks. The Thai girlfriend who needs help with money. The Thai bargirl waving a wad of envelops. (You're never asked in an office setting) the BMA beggars, the garbage police (100 baht is enough) and the phone booth scammer in front of the fitness club.

I find it quite satisfying to slip an unexpected hundred baht into the hand of some grubby plastic bottle scavenger, though.

I like doing the slip the bottle person 100 baht. Well played and they never expect it so it is all the better.

• Like 2

If the farang doesn't have a work permit, you can be pretty sure that he won't be there for much longer. Donnie Brasco, i quite like the bottle scavengers ( Wombles). They take my trash every day, knowing that there will be a few cans and bottles in there biggrin.png

The guy has been here a long time, Canada and Hawaii. Nice guy, used to do the photos for free but got more and more and more so he said "100 or 200 baht" up to you and not so many photos taken.

Can't blame him if he gets bothered too much. Nothing wrong with a pet, parrot, dog, cat that people take with them. Makes them feel good and does not bother me one little bit.

I am often seen with one of my new pets.... Lek.....Noi.....Pui.....Wan....Tic.....and nobody is bothered either.....

Typical of a scam or con or whatever the term is. Make the victim feel like he, the beggar, is doing you a favor. "100 or 200 baht" is a joke I hope? Guess not. To make it clear to the unknowing, we were approached by said scammer, same as the Filipino's do, and in this case not told he wanted money if we took the photo. We didn't seek his bird out. There were in fact plenty of pigeons in the area scared off by this gang of two, him and his parrot. The pigeons would not think of charging us, they only wanted to be fed. I find the condoning of this by some on here unusual. People don't come to Thailand to be hit on by farang beggars and such con men. Most have that at home and accept the local people who do it. The lady with the monkey on Walking Street is an example, but she doesn't hide her purpose. Carries a camera and makes her offer. No deception like this farang guy. More I think about it, next time I'm going to talk to the parrot about the cruelty issues. A decent bird deserves better.

I met this guy and didn't feel scammed at all, he wasn't pushy and only charged 200BHT, you can just say no. Also you need a licence to sell stuff on Pattaya beach. So go to another beach if you wish not to be hastled. He was Canadian by the way and noticed the Chinese enjoyed the experience, so no harm done I say.

I was more disgusted about the British guys doing the time share scam in Pattaya town. They use scratch cards and of course you win something, they jump up and down in joy, shouting you won you won, then you end up going to a hotel or office somewhere and get the hard sell for a time share scam . Fortunatly, I have seen programms on this on TV in UK, its been happening for years in Spain, so didn't fall for it. but it was amusing to watch this guy jump up and down like a girl when the scratch card said I won something, he didn't like my blank expression. It would be nice if the police get these people off the streets, as im sure they do not have work permits. They approach you by asking if you are friendly or speak English, just so no and move on, is my advice.

You are implying this guy has a peddlers license. I doubt such a thing even exists here in Pattaya. The Chinese, well what can we say except they fill up Big Eye every night. Most be more to it than I grasp.

As for your scratch cards example, an even more wicked version is played out in Angeles City in the Philippines. Guys buy the tickets online of which most win U.S.Dollars. They give them out to selected girls on stage, then when she wins $100.usd and gets all excited said deviant tells her to come to his hotel to get the forms etc.. I need not expand on what happens next. Sick.

That's disgusting. And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you are talking about a cheap buffet and he doesn't pay for the parrot, not even the child's price........

For my part, I am absolutely mortified to admit that if I chased seven Changs with seven double shots of Lao Kaow I would do the same thing.

However in my own particular case I would be chasing Hoegarten's with Maker's Mark doubles and my Miss Durian (Rayong 1998) MBA B Eng. Benz-driving hi-so white-skinned wife would be standing by ordering our maid to clean up the barf, right ?

And, of course, unlike many of the grumpier, more serious critics of our TV posts . . . . . I would likely be (like) LIVING HERE most of the time. :-)

you cant eat durian when drunk - it can kill you

For my part, I am absolutely mortified to admit that if I chased seven Changs with seven double shots of Lao Kaow I would do the same thing.

However in my own particular case I would be chasing Hoegarten's with Maker's Mark doubles and my Miss Durian (Rayong 1998) MBA B Eng. Benz-driving hi-so white-skinned wife would be standing by ordering our maid to clean up the barf, right ?

And, of course, unlike many of the grumpier, more serious critics of our TV posts . . . . . I would likely be (like) LIVING HERE most of the time. :-)

you cant eat durian when drunk - it can kill you

Hmmm

The voice of experience (obviously)

BTW, it's also very dangerous to consume alcohol while shooting at fish in a black kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app