designing and building in chiang mai

ericpasansai

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I notice the flat roofs, presumably concrete. Does the upper floor keep reasonably cool or is there a lot of heat transmitted down from the ceiling in the late afternoon?

the roof is coated with a product that is always cool to the touch and I have a number is stainless steel pumpkins on the roof for heat to escape

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I notice the flat roofs, presumably concrete. Does the upper floor keep reasonably cool or is there a lot of heat transmitted down from the ceiling in the late afternoon?

the roof is coated with a product that is always cool to the touch and I have a number is stainless steel pumpkins on the roof for heat to escape

Is there are gap between the roof and the internal ceiling? Also by stainless sreel pumpkins do you mean these whirly birds?

post-99062-0-16604900-1394872305_thumb.j

Is there are gap between the roof and the internal ceiling? Also by stainless sreel pumpkins do you mean these whirly birds?

thats it i have 2 really big ones on the roof===no space between the ceiling and the roof but over a foot of concrete

Very impressive and a far cry from the standard Thai houses I've seen. Good job Eric! When I did my remodel, getting dependable crews together was a nightmare that lasted a year. I'm thinking of doing a new place and what you've done is right up my alley. Talk soon!

Edited by stewsan

Building methods have improved a lot over the last few hundred years, so there is no reason why a flat roof can not be used in tropical climates.

So did they think when they started this modernist style. Le Corbusier made more mistakes than any other architect. He thought that building as a living machine would suit any climate. Unfortunately it didn't.

Here is an opinion of his architecture and I concur with it:

http://www.infiniteabyss.org/2012/03/24/corbusier.html

Just cause old Thai houses do not have them means nothing.

Yes, it does. Water stays away from the walls, windows and living area.

If a whole building looks dirty, its cause it needs a paint job.

Or is growing black mold which can not be removed since it's growing inside the walls. Painting does nothing, it will reappear rather soon.

Many flat roofed buildings look good after a few years, but in any regard, every building needs something called maintainance.

I prefer my building look good all the time and not just few years. Modern flat roof buildings don't age very well. Yes, buildings need maintenance but flat roof buildings more than some. Especially if there is always a pool upstairs when it's raining.

• Like 2

yes ... and Jan Jacobs (a promiscuous journalist) is widely revered in urban planning fraternity ... and all these years later and the unpleasant social collapse of 'urban planned' estates still see the centralized permeability as the key to a harmonious community ... instead as the enforcement of dependence on the system as opposed to self-sufficiency, as though communities never prospered until herr corbusier ... Ebeneezer Howard (to my mind) had the eight idea, but he was stalled and passed away and some town planner put a spanner in the works ...

Looks familiar.. are you still trying to sell it?

think so...looks like a place in san sai thats been for rent/sale for the better part of 6 months.

If the rent's not too crazy would make a good factory/retail outlet for someone/something...

• Like 1