A couple of questions about food in CM

Iskandar

If you want to buy decent clean meats you are best buying

in a Supermarket,dont think I have ever seen Organic pork

or chicken though,you can get Organic coconut oil,not sure

if its the kind to cook with ,if thats what you want,and I have

also seen Organic eggs or free range eggs in Supermarket.

Just walk though some of the markets and the meat stalls

might turn you into a vegan, hygiene is not top of their

priorities,you just have to make sure that the meat is cooked

well,personally,I buy all my meats at Makro frozen,in 1 kg

blocks, chop off what i need daily,my reasoning been the

meat was packed and frozen in same factory it was processed

in, most likely by CP whom now own Makro and as CP are

large exporters of meat to Europe and Japan,the quality

should be good.and it works out cheaper than market, and

a lot less chance of contamination,through improper handling

and no addition of formaldehyde,borax,and another chemical

that i forget at the moment, that can be added in the markets

to preserve and enhance the look of the meats.

There is a market thats on early in the mornings,that sells

organic veg ,eggs etc, but cannot remember where its held

but sure someone will be along that knows.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I have found that since CP bought Makro the quality of thier meats have got worse. Sorry to not answer the question and only be negative but I would love to also find such products I can trust and depend on.

Agree, Makro's meat has gotten worse.............chicken and pork especially, but the beef has improved a little, but still has a long way to go to be called decent. I think the reason that quality has deteriorated is that CP is probably selling their lowest grades locally and exporting their better grades.

I now buy my pork from the market as early in the day as possible and put it directly on ice for the trip home, knowing that the pig was alive the day before and the vendor bought it in the early hours of that day and it has never been refrigerated. Was told by a pro that it's best to let the meat 'sit' for a day in the fridge so the rigor mortise settles down and it's much more tender.

• Like 1

IMO, Chiang Mai is the wrong place to live if one is obsessed with organic food and the latest health fads from the West.

Amen to that brother. If the food doesn't get them the smog will.biggrin.png

and for good measure the traffic will lay them out flat.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Umm well hate to say but you will lucky to get what you want ...in saying that try Rimping Market I have seen organic chicken there a few times plus pork but be warned very expensive and you need to check the validity of the organic claim...

I did not "basically tell him he doesn't belong here". Those are your words.

I was letting him know that that this is very difficult place to stick to a holistic diet and get things that would be common and inexpensive in health food stores in the West. There are plenty of fruits and vegetables here, but most have been treated with chemicals and I am very skeptical about many that are sold as "organic" as it is almost impossible to verify it.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

IMO, Chiang Mai is the wrong place to live if one is obsessed with organic food and the latest health fads from the West.

For meats yes; for vegetables the Royal Project stores meet the need. (Produce is pesticide controlled)

You could farm your own chickens and fish though if you have the time on your hands.

• Like 1

Agreed on the Royal Project stores, but they do not claim to be organic (at least they did not in the past). I do trust them to be pesticide controlled though. I have my doubts about many other places that claim to be organic. TIT (This is Thailand)

• Like 1

Agreed on the Royal Project stores, but they do not claim to be organic (at least they did not in the past). I do trust them to be pesticide controlled though. I have my doubts about many other places that claim to be organic. TIT (This is Thailand)

Not sure I understand "pesticide controlled"

Does that mean they know how much pesticide they use?

Don't most fruit and vegetables know how much they use.?

• Like 1

Not sure I understand "pesticide controlled"

Does that mean they know how much pesticide they use?

Don't most fruit and vegetables know how much they use.?

It means they have strict limits as to how much pesticides can end up in their produce. Absolutely zero is not achievable because when a farmer a little bit up the road uses it then traces end up in your produce, but they can and do get rid of entire lots when they're over the limit.

I don't know exactly what the limits are for various substances, you'd have to ask.

Overall though I'm more confident in their produce compared to any random batch from a market.