Peace talk proposal rejected by Yingluck and Suthep

webfact

POLITICAL DILEMMA
Peace talk proposal rejected by both sides

Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung,
Chanikarn Phumhiran
The Nation

Premier says it is pointless as PDRC has refused to nominate mediators

BANGKOK: -- The door for negotiations to resolve the political crisis was slammed shut yesterday after caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra announced that her government would not nominate 10 individuals to mediate talks with the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

Six independent organisations called on both sides to name 10 people who could help facilitate talks and move toward ending the political impasse.

The six agencies - the Office of the Ombudsman, the National Economic and Social Advisory Council, Election Commission, the National Human Rights Commission, National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Office of the Auditor General - made this decision at a meeting on Monday to look for a way out of the deadlock.

Yingluck said she would not nominate mediators because PDRC secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban had turned down the proposal as well. "So, the government believes it will be useless [to nominate]," she said.

However, the PM backed the idea of mediators holding talks, provided they lead a way out.

Asked about the PDRC's continued push for reforms before an election and the government's insistence on holding a poll first, Yingluck replied that holding elections first was not a condition.

Meanwhile, Election Commis-sioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said he would give up trying to end the conflict if the caretaker government and the PDRC reject the proposal by the six agencies.

Somchai made this remark while issuing a letter addressed to both sides in relation to the six organisations' offer to set up a non-partisan committee to collect proposals from the conflicting sides and make adjustments until a conclusion can be achieved.

He said the government and the PDRC had until March 24 to consider the proposal, adding that their replies to this letter as well as their answer to the proposal to nominate 10 mediators would be opened publicly at the same time.

He went on to say that if both parties were found to reject the idea, then the six organisations would give up, and say they had done their best. But he reiterated that holding a dialogue was still the best way out.

On Monday night, Suthep told PDRC supporters at Lumpini Park that he would not propose any names.

"It's not that I don't want to cooperate [with the agencies], but I don't think I can find neutral mediators because Yingluck and her brother Thaksin will continue clinging to power," he said. "They will use all means available to them to fight and will only seek talks when they have lost. We can't accept their proposal to return Thaksin's Bt40 billion that was seized by the court and hold an election before national reforms are put in place."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-19

Mediation is not conducive to Suthep's plans for a dictatorship backed by the elitists and wealthy. Why do people keep pursuing the idea. Hope springs eternal I suppose.

There is a parallel thread running on this issue and on which I have just posted. For what it is worth, I will repeat, those six organisations were naive if they thought giving the government an ultimatum would achieve anything. How many ultimatums has Suthep issued? Look how far he has got! The group of six organisations set themselves up to fail and they have failed because of their obvious lack of diplomatic skills.

suthep is a complete idiot. he had a way out for all and through it away for his own personal agenda.

Yingluck is a complete idiot. She had a way out for all and threw it away for her brother's own personal agenda.

• Like 2

Why bother talking to Suthep.

Suthep is finished, his moving his tent to live in Sondhi's backyard.

Hope he enjoys the early retirement.

Team yellow are dropping like flies.

Popular uprising = gone

Military = never in the game

EC = gone

Business funding = gone

7 "independent" organisations = gone

Courts = last man standing

Oh, and lets not forget....

Yingluck is still in the big chair, unbowed and in control of this circus.

Happy days!

Popular uprising = gone

EC = gone

Business funding = gone

Happy days!

Yeah, and the big chair's even got wheels now! Great for a quick escape.

• Like 2

Mediation is not conducive to Suthep's plans for a dictatorship backed by the elitists and wealthy. Why do people keep pursuing the idea. Hope springs eternal I suppose.

There is a parallel thread running on this issue and on which I have just posted. For what it is worth, I will repeat, those six organisations were naive if they thought giving the government an ultimatum would achieve anything. How many ultimatums has Suthep issued? Look how far he has got! The group of six organisations set themselves up to fail and they have failed because of their obvious lack of diplomatic skills.

I agree. The caretaker government will not really pay attention to anyone else. Negotiations, talks, discussions, ultimatums, - call them what you will. They ain't interested unless it means they can keep clinging on to power, get amnesty for themselves and their boss and hopefully manage to win any future election based on the same format.

The 6 organizations have been dealing with them long enough and should know them now

Pheu Thai cannot possibly be more isolated than they are now. Pheu Thai have concluded that they will defy the Constitutional Court whatever their ruling. This is an unprecedented and dangerous authoritarian act, tantamount to defying a ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court. Pheu Thai have also gone after six independent agencies empowered by the constitution. Those are also unprecedented and authoritarian acts. Pheu Thai has also gone after the Civil Court and the Criminal Court. Those are also authoritarian acts. For those who see nothing but democracy in all these actions have clearly not yet shouldered the burdens of thought. They are all actions against the rule of law. And no administration - with or without caretaker powers - can do that. None. And all the people who seem to have developed an endless tolerance for these acts of judicial defiance would never find any such tolerance practiced in their own countries. It is very hard to see what Pheu Thai regards as the endgame when they defy a Constitutional Court ruling. Every moral argument - made domestically and internationally - simply crumbles under the weight of it. As it is.

If you call having the support of 15 - 16 million voters and another 20 odd million family members of those voters isolated, then so be it.

Who am I to argue?

How many ultimatums has Suthep issued? Look how far he has got!

Yes, Suthep has achieved so much. An amazing amount actually.

He got rid of the amnesty bill.

He has caused dissolution of a corrupted parliament.

He has shown up so much fraud and crime in the rice scheme and the government itself.

He has killed off the 2.2 Tn loan bill.

He has brought the convicted criminal almost to his knees along with his regime.

He has brought much needed reforms to the forefront of Thai politics.

He has revealed the corruption, bias and ineptness of the police.

He has exposed UDD and PTP intentions of secession.

I could go on and on.

• Like 1

He has shown up so much fraud and crime in the rice scheme and the government itself.

He has brought the convicted criminal almost to his knees along with his regime.

I could go on and on.

Maybe you could go on, but it doesn't change anything.

Yingluck is still the wearing the captains armband of this nation and will continue to do so for another full term at which point one of her comrades or another will take up the mantle of the premiership and continue on into the foreseeable future.

What's happened here, the peoples victory over the decades of oppression, is an amazing feel good story the whole world celebrates.

So while we're all partying and enjoying the win, you can hide away in your little corner fervourishly penning all the lists you want.

No one cares.

I could go on and on.

Maybe you could go on, but it doesn't change anything.

Yingluck is still the wearing the captains armband of this nation and will continue to do so for another full term at which point one of her comrades or another will take up the mantle of the premiership and continue on into the foreseeable future.

What's happened here, the peoples victory over the decades of oppression, is an amazing feel good story the whole world celebrates.

So while we're all partying and enjoying the win, you can hide away in your little corner fervourishly penning all the lists you want.

No one cares.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

suthep is a complete idiot. he had a way out for all and through it away for his own personal agenda.

Just a thought...............why don't they use Thaksin's 40 Billion to pay the rice farmers, and maybe then the tax refund on new cars which was promised.

Pheu Thai cannot possibly be more isolated than they are now. Pheu Thai have concluded that they will defy the Constitutional Court whatever their ruling. This is an unprecedented and dangerous authoritarian act, tantamount to defying a ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court. Pheu Thai have also gone after six independent agencies empowered by the constitution. Those are also unprecedented and authoritarian acts. Pheu Thai has also gone after the Civil Court and the Criminal Court. Those are also authoritarian acts. For those who see nothing but democracy in all these actions have clearly not yet shouldered the burdens of thought. They are all actions against the rule of law. And no administration - with or without caretaker powers - can do that. None. And all the people who seem to have developed an endless tolerance for these acts of judicial defiance would never find any such tolerance practiced in their own countries. It is very hard to see what Pheu Thai regards as the endgame when they defy a Constitutional Court ruling. Every moral argument - made domestically and internationally - simply crumbles under the weight of it. As it is.

If you call having the support of 15 - 16 million voters and another 20 odd million family members of those voters isolated, then so be it.

Who am I to argue?

Try maybe 8 million voters and maybe a couple of million family members who are too young to vote.

Interesting. "I won't because he doesn't".

Even you must realise that a discussion takes more than one person. Suthep rejected the talks out of hand so what is Yingluck going to do? This;

"Yingluck said she would not nominate mediators because PDRC secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban had turned down the proposal as well. "So, the government believes it will be useless [to nominate]," she said."

Of course the nation neglects to mention that suthep had rejected the idea out of hand before Yingluck had said anything. The way they have written the story it appears that the fault lies with Yingluck

"BANGKOK: -- The door for negotiations to resolve the political crisis was slammed shut yesterday after caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra announced that her government would not nominate 10 individuals to mediate talks with the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC)."

Typical shoddy, brazenly biased, myopic reporting by the nation, the dems/PDRC's No.1 supporting media outlet.

Even you must realise that a discussion takes more than one person. Suthep rejected the talks out of hand so what is Yingluck going to do? This;

"Yingluck said she would not nominate mediators because PDRC secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban had turned down the proposal as well. "So, the government believes it will be useless [to nominate]," she said."

Of course the nation neglects to mention that suthep had rejected the idea out of hand before Yingluck had said anything. The way they have written the story it appears that the fault lies with Yingluck

"BANGKOK: -- The door for negotiations to resolve the political crisis was slammed shut yesterday after caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra announced that her government would not nominate 10 individuals to mediate talks with the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC)."

Typical shoddy, brazenly biased, myopic reporting by the nation, the dems/PDRC's No.1 supporting media outlet.

"Of course the nation neglects to mention that suthep had rejected the idea out of hand before Yingluck had said anything."

So, what's wrong with my "I won't because he won't" ?

"Of course the nation neglects to mention that suthep had rejected the idea out of hand before Yingluck had said anything."

Your use of the word "interesting" denotes that there is more to your statement than meets the eye, which you don't explain. I mean, what is interesting about that statement?

Popular uprising = gone

EC = gone

Business funding = gone

Happy days!

The coward Yingluck is hiding in the north. She doesn't even dare to show up at the court. She is clearly out of steam. She is on the verge of collapsing. I think karma is taking care of her. Nobody can just rob the country empty and play victim while preparing an armed mob to go after the independent organizations.

As PepperMe stated, Suthep did a great job.

Edited by Nickymaster

Did you read past the first line?

Your use of the word "interesting" denotes that there is more to your statement than meets the eye, which you don't explain. I mean, what is interesting about that statement?

Even you must realise that a discussion takes more than one person. Ms. Yingluck forgets that if k. Suthep agrees on a discussion she would have to come to him as he can hardly come to her. Her government has daemonised him from the very start of the anti-government protests when her government tried to push through a sneakily modified blanket amnesty bill. Remember the "please go home, there's more to be done" and "it's up to the Senate now" ? Police immediately onto those anti-government protesters, even dropped a copy of an arrest warrant by plane. Now what would happen if k. Suthep would quietly walk to government house without guards, only the regular anti-government protesters. Do you think he would be able to finish that walk?