Is there a cooling off period with contracts

AussieSteve

I very rarely bother to say anything about anything. But come on!!! How old are you.. you've made it this far in life to actually leave the comfort of your own Country and enjoy the company of a beautiful Thai Lady and your looking for refunds.

Its money mate. If you cant afford to spend it don't blame somebody else for your lot.....

Pretty harmless s...t all round..... If you get your money back, do everyone a favour and go back home where you always get what you pay for, right...

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was HER money from the get go, nothing to do with the OP

The OP said..."I give her a certain amount of money each month and it came out of that".

Yes exactly. And once he's GIVEN it, she's free to spend it, lottery tix, a new tablet or Hello Kitty stickers, whatever she likes.

Clearly, the OP has said she is not allowed to spend the money as she wants. There are always common sense rules attached to free money.

No and no. He very clearly stated that he actually didn't have the right to complain since it was her money.

And no, once you give the money - it isn't free, she's earning it with her services apparently otherwise rendered to his satisfaction - then it's hers to spend as she likes.

He just got angry about her stupidity completely inappropriately as he admitted.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks to all who resonded............. ok money gone lesson learned.

To answer the question from Neversure, she had a credit card to her account I give her a certain amount of money each month and it came out of that. Ok it's her money to do with what she wants but I was still angry about it.

Well if it is her money Steve then you really shouldn't be angry at her at all for spending it the way she chooses. Even if it is not the way you choose. If it was up to men, and there was a death penalty for spending money foolishly, most women would be shot for the number of pairs of shoes they own, or hand bags. But then for us we would be to, for all those extra beers we have with the boys, which we somehow don't count as a waste of money.

I give my wife an allowance to, and never even ask her how she spends it, although she tells me anyway. You defeat the purpose of giving here an allowance if you want to take it back when you don't like how she spends it. Unless of course it was something like drugs. Which then you would probably be doing her a favour by taking it back and finding help for her.

But 20,000 Baht is a lot to spend on this so I hope it is not some scam, and that she will get value out of that money. I also think that her wanting beauty products and training, perhaps to look more attractive for you, is not such a huge waste of money. I would be more understanding towards you if it was not her money and she used this money to pay off a gambling debts, that afterwards she still owes a lots of money on. But Her Money for Make-up Products???

When you go shopping with the GF the next time Steve, be quiet, and let her lead you to wherever she wants to go. If you don't end up near make-up, shoes, handbags. or women's clothes, then this is the time you really need to be concerned about her. I know as I have to let MY Wife lead me shopping as she won't let me lead anymore. When I lead we never get anything done, as we always end up near the Power Tools Section, which I had no intention of buying any. (Ha!Ha!Ha!)

So we are the Same, Same, .....but Different I guess?

• Like 2

This is so typical and boring. Stupid farang "taking care of" some isaan, probably bargirl. Get a grip and never forget easy come easy go. It's always easy to spend other people's money. I bet when you go eat she orders loads of food and eat about 10 % of it.

Get her to find a job and learn that money doesn't come so easy, not even for farangs.

But basically if this is how she behaves, it's a lost case. Get rid of her!!

So typical and boring. Some stupid farang spouting his ignorance and prejudices. So you got burned once ... best to keep your mental scars to yourself and not your project them on to others. Good luck with that.

3 years ago I gave my gf some 'seed money' to start a shop so she could take care of herself and help her family. She spent a goodly portion of that money on some ridiculous statuette (not a Buddha, but an old bearded 'guru' type thing) that is supposed to bring in business. When she told me, she had a sheepish look on her face and it was clear she was regretting it (and she knew how I'd react). Anyway, I gave her the obligatory verbal blasting for it--a refreshing change for it to go in that direction--and we put it behind us. She hasn't done any such silliness since then, and in fact, on those occasions when she's needed cash injections for a renovation or repair, she's been careful to keep the receipts to show me. Maybe this will be a good learning experience for your partner also.

20k is only £400, which is not a vast amount. Though I wouldn't walk about with that much in my pocket.

I'm sure she will learn her lesson......they all do right? (Women in general not just Thai women)

Why do farangs compare the money to foreign currency.We are in Thailand,a Thai girl spent 2 months wages on a beauty treatment.Where i come from that would equal $16000.Would a western woman pay that?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks to all who resonded............. ok money gone lesson learned.

To answer the question from Neversure, she had a credit card to her account I give her a certain amount of money each month and it came out of that. Ok it's her money to do with what she wants but I was still angry about it.

Well if it is her money Steve then you really shouldn't be angry at her at all for spending it the way she chooses. Even if it is not the way you choose. If it was up to men, and there was a death penalty for spending money foolishly, most women would be shot for the number of pairs of shoes they own, or hand bags. But then for us we would be to, for all those extra beers we have with the boys, which we somehow don't count as a waste of money.

I give my wife an allowance to, and never even ask her how she spends it, although she tells me anyway. You defeat the purpose of giving here an allowance if you want to take it back when you don't like how she spends it. Unless of course it was something like drugs. Which then you would probably be doing her a favour by taking it back and finding help for her.

But 20,000 Baht is a lot to spend on this so I hope it is not some scam, and that she will get value out of that money. I also think that her wanting beauty products and training, perhaps to look more attractive for you, is not such a huge waste of money. I would be more understanding towards you if it was not her money and she used this money to pay off a gambling debts, that afterwards she still owes a lots of money on. But Her Money for Make-up Products???

When you go shopping with the GF the next time Steve, be quiet, and let her lead you to wherever she wants to go. If you don't end up near make-up, shoes, handbags. or women's clothes, then this is the time you really need to be concerned about her. I know as I have to let MY Wife lead me shopping as she won't let me lead anymore. When I lead we never get anything done, as we always end up near the Power Tools Section, which I had no intention of buying any. (Ha!Ha!Ha!)

So we are the Same, Same, .....but Different I guess?

The last paragraph.....Totally correct....I just cant pass the power tools Section either.

AND the missus is now an expert on buying power tools....thumbsup.gif

Steve,....your money is gone !!! if you have already paid....from my experiences here. Cool off period is the time between opening your wallet and taking out the money....sadly.

In Thailand !!!!!!!. NO CHANCE

You must be daft to let her have access to your money or cards she obviously

cant be trusted and if you cant trust her dump her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray

Merryman88

mate, my wife has signed up too, but she wants to trim down a bit and they do help, she actually got me to sign up as well but it cost us 30,000 baht all up for the 2 of us and I know I need to loose some weight. They have guaranteed weight loss with our package though and we do have some comeback if we do not loose a set amount of weight, normally wouldnt look at it but at this price it isnt too steep especiaslly with the weight guarantee and so far I have dropped a couple of kg(wife too) so it is working. What gets me is the amount of "slim" people that are also doing it, if they became any skinnier they would have to run around in the shower to get wet

studying for her doctorate in Thai Natural Medicine. I am supporting her while she studies and once she has her qualifications she will be supporting me.

I have no idea what a doctorate in Thai Natural Medicine qualifies for but maybe she can ask next to open a shop for herbal products and skin treatments...you provide, of course.

What comes to her supporting you...er...OMG! Are you kidding? Or is it 'Oh, My Buddha!'

I am sorry but since I've seen so much here last decade or so, I'd like to know how long you have been in LOS? And how long you've been together?

What comes to her need of treatments...well...ladies might need them to feel good about themselves. It is not always how their men see necessary. As it happens, I have several rather wealthy Thai ladies as friends and they spend much more on good quality food and different kind of treatments than I ever would. In many cases they have paid for my lunch or dinner and we are just friends.

I am a bit doubtful about any Thai lady supporting a foreigner...at least if the relationship is at very early stage. My partner does and wants but it has been a long road of 8 years. Patience is not my virtue but needed to learn to adapt in this country.

Well, time will tell but next time a cooling period before approaching the key board might be in order. You gave her the money and credit card and if you did not talk and agree beforehand what she was entitled to do than it is your shame, not hers.

Thanks for all the interesting and at times typically ignorant comments from some.

This is a lesson that we have learned together and I am sure she will think twice about buying anything like this again. My g/f is not from Issan (not that location should make a difference) or a bar girl, she's from just north of BKK and studying for her doctorate in Thai Natural Medicine. I am supporting her while she studies and once she has her qualifications she will be supporting me.

I have already admitted it was her money to do with what she wanted but she really does not need this beauty treatment.... at least in my eyes anyway. Everything is good with us again and life resumes as before.

I'm sure this thread has amused many people, me included as I expected many of these comments, I was happy to see there are a lot of sensible and helpful responses to my origional question about a cooling off period.

Thanks guys.

It is not amazing here, but weird how such a simple question in the OP has turned

into mostly advice from many know-it-alls about how you should run your relationship and your life.

Glad you have worked things out with your girl friend. I concur with the majority that the money is lost - even if that 7 day cooling off period mentioned by a couple of posters actually exists - hopefully she will get something out of it.

Now, if I were you... nah, just kidding thumbsup.gif

Well some spa treatments are expensive, perhaps she bought a series of uh...chest pounding?

See: http://mustgrowbust.com/2013/breasts-not-growing-beat-them-into-compliance-with-thai-breast-slapping

Whatever the spa treatments are, let her have them, and well, you get to recover the baht... perhaps you can convince her that she needs some bottom slapping (uh shaping) treatments at home...