Bangkok: Overturned truck spills 20,000 liters of petrol on Phaholyothin road

webfact

about 15 years ago, didn't one of these do the same thing on wireless and caught fire killing many?

your right ,it did petchbury rd ,driver jumed out and run like usual

lots of people were burned alive in their cars as they were stuck in a traffic jam with no place to escape to IIRC

never heard if driver was arrested or not though......

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, look on the bright side. At least the driver didn't leg it as is the norm in Thailand. Probably as no one was killed.

its a miracle that much gas got spilt and didnt ignite ,probably cause it was 5am

in rush hour traffic that would have been almost guaranteed to end in a huge tradgedy

If I remember correctly from my childhood years in the UK, there was a motor fuel called Benzole that was sold nationally.

It led to one of those dirty ditties we depended on for laughter before television really got going, as in "She was only a garage-man's daughter, but she loved the smell of Benzole."

about 15 years ago, didn't one of these do the same thing on wireless and caught fire killing many?

It was a gas truck owned by Siam Gas 20 or more years ago. About 20 people were killed, if I remember rightly, and many more badly disfigured and maimed with burns. The gas tipped out into a traffic jam on an expressway ramp and ignited, trapping people inside their cars. It was a horrible business. Several of the victims lived in agony for up 10 days before succumbing to their burns. I knew the sister of one of them.

There have been two LPG tankers roll in BKK in the last ~ 3 years. Teen driving in at least 1 case. Next one might be Hiroshima II - fuel air bomb, second only to a nuke.

Who needs terrorists, with safety stds like this?

For those interested (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_Thailand)

24 September 1990: A liquid petroleum gas tanker truck crashed on the expressway exit at New Phetchaburi Road in Bangkok, causing large explosions and fires that burned through 38 shophouses for over 24 hours. 90 persons died, 121 were injured and 43 cars were destroyed.

Edited by monkeycountry

Why do they use the word benzene when they're talking about petrol (gasoline to Americans)? It's a completely different thing.

Benzene in this sense is a homophone and means gasoline / petrol.

Actually benzene is a toxic component of gasoline, soluable in water so not the same as gasoline.

It might be that the translator came from German or Dutch origin, as petrol is called "benzin" and "benzine" :)

Seriously? A sub-discussion on a foreign country forum used by an international audience, discussing why the whole world does not use American words?

Both Benzin and Diesel are named after Germans car/engine inventors, and are synonymous in many countries for the more generic petrol (not named after a person) and gasoline (ditto). Also called gas, which confuses people who don't expect gas to be a liquid.

Next discussion: Why (oh why) can't all the world call a photocopy by its proper American name: Xerox (not named after a Persian king)?

edwardandtubs, on 19 Mar 2014 - 12:27, said:

Why do they use the word benzene when they're talking about petrol (gasoline to Americans)? It's a completely different thing.

Yeah had me confused, especially when they start of with benzene (most Thais call petrol, benzene) and diesel (granted diesel could be from the trucks only fuel tanks, but a badly written article does not make it clear), then changing to 20.000 litres of oil.

Good question, maybe they misspelled 'Benzine'? Maybe they thought because benzene is added to Petrol it somehow becomes 'Benzene' or maybe they're a bit dimwitted? Could you imagine a truck of Benzene going off, that would be seen from space!

fab4, on 19 Mar 2014 - 12:33, said:
edwardandtubs, on 19 Mar 2014 - 12:27, said:

Benzene in this sense is a homophone and means gasoline / petrol.

A homophone is a word that is pronounced the same as another word but differs in meaning and spelling. You chose the wrong word. In fact it is a miss-used word, by Thais, for petrol, simply because petrol contains benzene, which was used as a selling gimmick ( ALL petrol contains benzene) hence the word benzene became synonymous with petrol.

Seriously? A sub-discussion on a foreign country forum used by an international audience, discussing why the whole world does not use American words?

Both Benzin and Diesel are named after Germans car/engine inventors, and are synonymous in many countries for the more generic petrol (not named after a person) and gasoline (ditto). Also called gas, which confuses people who don't expect gas to be a liquid.

Next discussion: Why (oh why) can't all the world call a photocopy by its proper American name: Xerox (not named after a Persian king)?

Actually Benzene is not an American word for petrol (or gasoline if you're American). Benzene is a natural constituent of crude oil and is an added to petrol as it's highly inflammable so not only are these people debating the use of Americanisms, they're totally wrong too. Countries in Eastern Europe use the word 'Benzin' or 'Benzine' instead of petrol.

I was about to ask a similar question:

Benzene is what all of Europe calls "Petrol', (and possibly South America) which is called Gasoline in the USA.

As Thailand seems to have adopted so many US spellings and terms and measurements, I presumed they call it 'gasoline' here.

Someone please enlighten me - but no naked flames please. It's flammable.

Actually Benzene is not an American word for petrol (or gasoline if you're American). Benzene is a natural constituent of crude oil and is an added to petrol as it's highly inflammable so not only are these people debating the use of Americanisms, they're totally wrong too. Countries in Eastern Europe use the word 'Benzin' or 'Benzine' instead of petrol.

I debate that this is highly 'inflammable' a term which was dropped internationally years ago, because the term is so confusing.

Gasoline/benzene/petrol is highly flammable.

As for Xerox - surely this is a trade name, or do we defer to the British system of making a verb from a noun? e.g. in the UK they "hoover" the carpet. I guess I'm Hitachiing my carpet. I had a UK friend who'd hoover his swimming pool each week. 'It beats as it scrubs as it cleans"?

For those interested (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_Thailand)

24 September 1990: A liquid petroleum gas tanker truck crashed on the expressway exit at New Phetchaburi Road in Bangkok, causing large explosions and fires that burned through 38 shophouses for over 24 hours. 90 persons died, 121 were injured and 43 cars were destroyed.

Great reference.

Loved the dynamite truck.

Benzene is what all of Europe calls "Petrol', (and possibly South America) which is called Gasoline in the USA.

As Thailand seems to have adopted so many US spellings and terms and measurements, I presumed they call it 'gasoline' here.

Correct on the point that Thais call petrol by the US term, gasoline. I've never heard a Thai ask for Benzene at a benzene station. Its always gasoline at a gasoline station (or in an old whisky bottle in a rack). Diesel is called diesel. All of Europe does not call petrol 'benzene'. Generally the word 'gas' is used.

I haven't noticed much adoption of US measurements. Weight is measured in kilogrammes (French), Volume in litres (French) and length/distance in metres/km (inches are only used for male genitalia measurement)

Wrong. Some Europeans use the word Benzine, not Benzene which an additive to Benzine.

Correct on the point that Thais call petrol by the US term, gasoline. I've never heard a Thai ask for Benzene at a benzene station. Its always gasoline at a gasoline station (or in an old whisky bottle in a rack). Diesel is called diesel. All of Europe does not call petrol 'benzene'. Generally the word 'gas' is used.

I haven't noticed much adoption of US measurements. Weight is measured in kilogrammes (French), Volume in litres (French) and length/distance in metres/km (inches are only used for male genitalia measurement)

Nope - I stand by what I said. From the Western bit of the Netherlands, clear across Germany and the many countries north and south, it's "benzene'.

The other type of benzene which used to be used for removing stains etc is called in Holland "Was(h) Benzene.

As for measurements, have you tried to buy a measuring jug? The first one I saw at TOPS was in pints and ounces, and cups and they were US measurements. Totally different from countries on the metric system, where a meter is a measuring device (water meter) and a metre is 1000mm.

My missus uses the word 'Benzine'. Benzine and Benzene are two different things by the way. Benzene is a constituent of crude oil and is an additive in petrol/gas/benzine as it's highly flammable.

Wrong. Some Europeans use the word Benzine, not Benzene which an additive to Benzine.

I defer to your correct spelling: if you want to fill your tank in Western Europe, you ask for benzine.

Alwyn, on 19 Mar 2014 - 17:30, said:Alwyn, on 19 Mar 2014 - 17:30, said:
orosee, on 19 Mar 2014 - 16:50, said:orosee, on 19 Mar 2014 - 16:50, said:

I always believed the Europeans used the term "benzin" derived from Karl Benz (from Mercedes Benz fame) who invented the first petrol powered car patented January 1886. Where as benzene is a chemical naturally occurring in crude oil, and gives petrol its octane rating.

Edited by Rorri

I defer to your correct spelling: if you want to fill your tank in Western Europe, you ask for benzine.

Don't want to seem pedantic or a nit-picker but that's eastern Europe! French for petrol is the word "Essence" but most use the phrase "sans plomb" (lead free) Spanish is "gasolina" but i think German is Benzin though! In England we say "squirt"

Alwyn, on 19 Mar 2014 - 17:30, said:Alwyn, on 19 Mar 2014 - 17:30, said:
orosee, on 19 Mar 2014 - 16:50, said:orosee, on 19 Mar 2014 - 16:50, said:

I always believed the Europeans used the term "benzin" derived from Karl Benz (from Mercedes Benz fame) who invented the first petrol powered car patented January 1886. Where as benzene is a chemical naturally occurring in crude oil, and gives petrol its octane rating.

I know your understanding of Benzene is correct and the "Benzin" sounds plausible as the German word for petrol is Benzin and Poland etc use Benzin. Not France ("Essence" but mostly "sans plomb") or Spain (Gasolina)!

My missus uses the word 'Benzine'. Benzine and Benzene are two different things by the way. Benzene is a constituent of crude oil and is an additive in petrol/gas/benzine as it's highly flammable.

+1

Here's a pic of a Thai petrol station using the word 'Benzine 91' on the red pump:

bjcajb5h76deb8ib6bagk.jpg

147.jpg

Edited by katana