Cheapo 7 seater ?

are the cars on talarod cheaper?

Private Adverts for cars or anything tend to be cheaper than the big Tent sellers, there are many sites advertising private sales, even this one has Classified section

It seems that certain sites are better for certain requirements, in my experience:

Taladrod: Mostly private (or apparently private) sales, fairly good choice of vehicles

One2car: Mostly car tents, very large choice, but of course dealers are a bit more expensive

ThaiVisa: Expats only, private sales, some "bargains" due to people having to offload before leaving the country, but cars are usually expensive "executive expat" cars.

Craigslist: Almost all private sales, mainly expats, mix of reasonable cars at reasonable prices, utter tat at stupid prices and pure fraud. This site moves slowly, days can go by with no new cars added.

Bahtsold: Seems to be better for cars outside Bangkok, mostly private sales by expats, some "bargains" due to people having to offload before leaving the country, but cars are usually expensive "executive expat" cars.

• Like 1

Well within Budget, manual, ABS, Airbags......... Petrol or Diesel

more expensive on this site... http://one2car.com/NISSAN_BIG-M%20FRONTIER1-2/A06140028 but better pictures

Diesel one and newer on a cheaper website http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1377996

Looks good!

Plenty to choose from as you say!

Haven't seen any petrol versions but I'm not that bothered about using a diesel to be honest.

Added the list for sure. Thanks.

If maintenance and fuel costs are the issue...you can't beat diesel for that...also power +torque...and I wouldn't badder about the auto transmission that much in those PPV's,not bad at all...they are tougher on the Thai roads as well...

Avanza and all the other 'family' vans are street only...IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting day yesterday looking at cars, so I thought I'd post up here what I found out, in case others find it useful / interesting.

So first was a Suzuki APV, really clean, just the right size, but despite the fact that the ad said it has ABS, it did not. Turns out that no Suzuki APVs have ABS, so most of the adverts are lies.

Rule number one, don't trust anything that's in the advert...

Next were some 4x4s... Again I was told by a dealer that the Thai Rung Aventure he had for sale had ABS... Wrong, it did not. Niether does the Xciter.

Rule number two, don't trust anything that your told face to face...

Looked at some Sportriders and G Wagons, but the third row of seats have no seat-belts, so useless for the kids' seats.

Rule number three, don't assume that a seat automatically comes with a seat-belt!

Also looked at a Kia Carnival, which seemed to have all the features, 7 seat-belts, ABS, airbags... but it was as rotten as a pear underneath. Not sure if they all ruct so badly, or if this one had seem sone underwater adventures at some point.

Rule number four, just because it's shiny on the outside doesn't mean it's not rotting from the inside out.

Amusing moment was being offered a Chery Cross marked at 599,000 on the screen for 350,000, without even having shown any interest in it! I had a quick look, drove it round the block and decied it was the cheapest nastiest Chinese cr*p that I had ever seen.

Rule number 5, you get what you pay for....

Looked at a few bigger "buses" too, mainly VW Caravelles,but they were so tired and worn out they didn't appeal much, although they were certainly built to better safety standards.

Realising that if we want western safety standards we would have to buy a western produced car, we had a look at a Citroen Evasion. Nice looking but this one had been poorly looked after and needed money spent straight away.

Nicest car we saw was a Purple Ford Cortina Mk III with a 1JZ engine and chrome side pipes, but the wife wasn't too keen....

So in summary, 300,000 Baht does not go far if you want 6/7 seats (with matching number of seat-belts) and ABS. I will keep looking, probably limiting my search to European and Japanese produced cars. Wish me luck!

Interesting day yesterday looking at cars, so I thought I'd post up here what I found out, in case others find it useful / interesting.

So first was a Suzuki APV, really clean, just the right size, but despite the fact that the ad said it has ABS, it did not. Turns out that no Suzuki APVs have ABS, so most of the adverts are lies.

Next were some 4x4s... Again I was told by a dealer that the Thai Rung Aventure he had for sale had ABS... Wrong, it did not. Niether does the Xciter.

Looked at some Sportriders and G Wagons, but the third row of seats have no seat-belts, so useless for the kids' seats.

Rule number three, don't assume that a seat automatically comes with a seat-belt!

Also looked at a Kia Carnival, which seemed to have all the features, 7 seat-belts, ABS, airbags... but it was as rotten as a pear underneath. Not sure if they all ruct so badly, or if this one had seem sone underwater adventures at some point.

Rule number four, just because it's shiny on the outside doesn't mean it's not rotting from the inside out.

Amusing moment was being offered a Chery Cross marked at 599,000 on the screen for 350,000, without even having shown any interest in it! I had a quick look, drove it round the block and decied it was the cheapest nastiest Chinese cr*p that I had ever seen.

Looked at a few bigger "buses" too, mainly VW Caravelles,but they were so tired and worn out they didn't appeal much, although they were certainly built to better safety standards.

Realising that if we want western safety standards we would have to buy a western produced car, we had a look at a Citroen Evasion. Nice looking but this one had been poorly looked after and needed money spent straight away.

Nicest car we saw was a Purple Ford Cortina Mk III with a 1JZ engine and chrome side pipes, but the wife wasn't too keen....

So in summary, 300,000 Baht does not go far if you want 6/7 seats (with matching number of seat-belts) and ABS. I will keep looking, probably limiting my search to European and Japanese produced cars. Wish me luck!

Relatively new car, close to your budget which could be worth checking out. Seems to meet your criteria.

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/proton-exora-2011-at-high-line-top-model--170122

Are 4 of these people kids ? Would a Toyota crown fit them all in. Most converted to LPG. Plenty available under your budget and solid as a rock.

The idea was to have space for 4 adults and 2-3 kids, each with some kind of belt and headrest for the adults, so no, a Crown won't do it.

Relatively new car, close to your budget which could be worth checking out. Seems to meet your criteria.

http://www.bahtsold.com/view/proton-exora-2011-at-high-line-top-model--170122

Thank you for the suggestion, much appreciated.

My upper limit is 300k so I doubt it will be withing the seller's expectations but it will be worth a quick call.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the seat belts for the 3rd row in a older Sportrider, GWagon or Everest. You can have those installed inexpensively. I still think one of these 3 models would be your best bet.

Would you trust your kids being strapped in to a car by belts installed by a Thai "mechanic"?

(Genuine question by the way)

Also, I am quite coming round to the idea of an SUV type vehicle, despite my inital opinion of them.

BUT (and its a big but) because they are expensive to start with, the ones in my budget are the low end of the quality range. Some of the ones I saw yesterday were pretty poor. Bits of damaged trim, scratches in the paint I can live with but missing interior door handles, and seats not bolted to the floor is not what I'd expect for close to 300k Baht.

protons are crap cars!

Can you elaborate please?

Clearly I wouldn't expect German build quality from a Malaysian car, but after viewing and trying the Chery yesterday, it would have to be spectacularly bad to shock me!

the exora is only 1.6

have driven before for one day. Performance was horrible, even with 2 people.

safety wise, i wouldn't bet my money on a malaysian made car.

protons are crap cars!

Can you elaborate please?

Clearly I wouldn't expect German build quality from a Malaysian car, but after viewing and trying the Chery yesterday, it would have to be spectacularly bad to shock me!

the exora is only 1.6

have driven before for one day. Performance was horrible, even with 2 people.

safety wise, i wouldn't bet my money on a malaysian made car.

OK, thanks for the info.

I'm not really in a position to demand performance. I was prepared to buy a Suzuki APV (which seats 8 and has a 1.6 engine)

As for safety, you are right, the ratings are not as high for the Proton as for the top performing MPVs from Peugot & Citroen, but at least it has a rating (4 star in ANCAP).

I wouldn't get too hung up on the seat belts for the 3rd row in a older Sportrider, GWagon or Everest. You can have those installed inexpensively. I still think one of these 3 models would be your best bet.

Would you trust your kids being strapped in to a car by belts installed by a Thai "mechanic"?

(Genuine question by the way)

Also, I am quite coming round to the idea of an SUV type vehicle, despite my inital opinion of them.

BUT (and its a big but) because they are expensive to start with, the ones in my budget are the low end of the quality range. Some of the ones I saw yesterday were pretty poor. Bits of damaged trim, scratches in the paint I can live with but missing interior door handles, and seats not bolted to the floor is not what I'd expect for close to 300k Baht.

Many Thai mechanics are excellent. Anyway, in that 3rd seat you'd only be able to put lap belts anyway, so not ideal if safety is priority 1, but you could always stick the in-laws back there. thumbsup.gif I still think they'd come out better in a crash than a crumpled minvan.

I know used car prices are a shock to those who first come to Thailand. In the US or Europe, you can find loads of good stuff for under $10k. Here, very difficult.

Thanks, I really appreciate those who take time to look and post links (although that wasn't the intention of this thread).

I had looked at imported MPVs, but as you can see, they are near 20 yr old and auto boxes... not a recipe for trouble free motoring in my experience.

But this is the way the search is going.

Are imported Toyotas / Nissans easier to get spares for than Euro imports?

It looks like that if a decent SUV doesn't come up, I will be chosing between a 16-20 yr old Japanese import and a 12-15 year old European import. Which would be harder to (more expensive) to repair? Its clear that both will need repairs....

Or get something like this http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1372384

have as many seats as you wish, take some out for 7 seats + lots about and everyone can work on them..... some are 1 owner Private use only and never used as a Mini Bus.

or even something like this ?? cheap for here ? http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1381822

as a PS a Thai guy in the Village has had his 8 years bought it when 2 years old.. he uses it maybe 3x month, so very low KM ones are about, he also has a pickup used every day

Edited by ignis

Last one you may need a tow hook with 12 - 13 miles per gallon you may need an extra tank or 2

Last one you may need a tow hook with 12 - 13 miles per gallon you may need an extra tank or 2

Yea i put that in there to make the other 2 look better.

Sent from my LG-P970

Thanks again to all.

I've just left a deposit on a Toyota Granvia.

380k windscreen price, 340k internet price, 320k on the bill of sale.

Big old bus, but most of the nicities are there and working, curtains are missing though.

Of course the kms shown (135,000) is complete fiction, but it doesn't show signs of excessive intergalactic trips and the engine is silky smooth and appears to be oil tight. Also no sign of any accident damage at all... All wheel liners still have full matching fixings, all lights match, no over-spray round the windows, although the lower half of the body work has certainly been resprayed, along with the bumpers I suppose.

Only drove it up and down the soi so far, back for a proper road test on Friday.

Will get some pictures up in the future if you're interested.