Questions on Road Tax and Insurance

Dear All,

I would like to know how is the road tax system in Thailand calculated?

By vehicle age and engine capacity right?

How would a 1998 Honda Accord 2.2 road tax cost?

Is there a standard calulator for this?

As for insurance, must I have coverage just after I purchase a car, be it used or new?

or I can purchase the insurance afterwards?

Thanks!! ^_^

Yes, Don't know & Yes. biggrin.png

Cars are calculated on engine size not sure whether they go down with age.

Your local DLT will tell you how much the Honda 2.2 will be for road & Insurance.

To be on the road it should have road tax and if it has road tax it had to be insured at the time that's not to say it is still insured.

I think it's always best to have your road tax renewal dated the same time as the compulsory gov insurance.

Compulsory 'Government Insurance' (CPTL) is mandatory for everyone. This basic CPTL insurance covers the medical costs of road accident victims and does not cover any kind of vehicle damage. Failure to have this cover will result in very heavy fines. It is also required to pay the road tax for your vehicle.

Not sure about the following as I always have both :- As of March 2009, CPTL insurance is not required if you have class 1 voluntary insurance.

Additional 1st & 2nd class private insurance can be purchased later if you want.

Yes, Don't know & Yes. biggrin.png

Cars are calculated on engine size not sure whether they go down with age.

Your local DLT will tell you how much the Honda 2.2 will be for road & Insurance.

To be on the road it should have road tax and if it has road tax it had to be insured at the time that's not to say it is still insured.

I think it's always best to have your road tax renewal dated the same time as the compulsory gov insurance.

Compulsory 'Government Insurance' (CPTL) is mandatory for everyone. This basic CPTL insurance covers the medical costs of road accident victims and does not cover any kind of vehicle damage. Failure to have this cover will result in very heavy fines. It is also required to pay the road tax for your vehicle.

Not sure about the following as I always have both :- As of March 2009, CPTL insurance is not required if you have class 1 voluntary insurance.

Additional 1st & 2nd class private insurance can be purchased later if you want.

Apparently after the vehicle is 7 or 10 years old tax reduces by 10%

Tax is charged by doors, 2 or 4, both inexpensive. You are better off googling it, I did last week. Thought I had bookmarked the links, but it seem s not or I would have sent them to you.

You also need to get the car safety Inspected if it is 7 years old.

Which is strictly adhered to in Thailand. cheesy.gif

When my G/F asked about this in the shop where we normally buy our road tax, the lady said no problem. Just lift the bonnet and on the vehicles ID disk, that shows the vehicles date of manufacture, just scratch it out. Only in?jb1