Carefulness and Meticulousness in Thailand

laolover88

If this gets posted I must say that I do not think I have had a Thai person to do any work on my property that has bee..truly professional. First No1. We employed my wife's Niece's husband to put a roof over the carport. I could not believe my eyes when he had finished . A first year apprentice could have done a better job.

No2 We employed a company to tile the driveway and around the house. They did the driveway and both sides of the house o.k. except the water rund towards the house instead of away from the house ,on the sides of the house . The worst is that the tiles on the rear of the house have not been placed down to run in line with the sides . It would a simple matter to make them all lineup. No3 We then had a company to put up a canopy above the rear and side windows for shading the sun in the late afternoon. the problem was when the welder welded the steel he let all the hot slag drop onto the new tiles and now there are burn marks on the new tiles which look a poor job. No 4 Then we had some painters to paint the house . Dirty workers . they skimped on a coat of paint . got paint on the aluminium frames and on the glass. splashes of paint on the wooden garden furniture etc.

So as far as I am concerned Thai workers are not meticulous and do not do a good job.

I 've never seen any Thai construction company or builder bring a vacuum cleaner.

Fifteen years in Thailand never seen a vacuum cleaner in a private home, only hotels and offices.

I'm sure most of the Thais I know haven't seen one their entire life, nor even heard of such a thing, if I bought one they'd probably react like your average cat for the first time.

My wife used to clean the inside of the car. I used it a couple of times inside the house. I guess it has been used in total less than 10 times. Anyone interested ?

Possibly. We're moving there soon and the GF wants me to pack the vacuum. She loves it. But I really can't see the point of paying for freight for it.

• Like 1

One day after putting in new electrical outlets I wake to find entire wiring hanging from ceiling, almost touching the floor. Solution? Use hot glue gun to stick it back up.. "Technicians" come to install sliding screens on doors. Stepping back admiring their work, not seeing the insulating strip peeling off within 5 min. of installation.

My cleaning lady was a doll as long as she didn't have to move anything, use my products (bringing mops, rags from other home?).(yuk).

Yes tidy and meticulous in your dreams.

There seems to have been a rather large number of provocative threads opened recently by relative newcomers that all ask 'what you think'. Not a new way of drumming up business surely?

When in Rome! I wouldn't like to compare Thai workmen with British because while most tradesmen here do a good job there is quite a large percentage that believe "near enough is good enough" and still expect maximum pay for minimum effort.

Yes Thais #1 in the whole world, Hmmmmm

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

But they know sod all about the world

I come from Australia and have stopped reacting to the question You near Germany facepalm.gif

Ask most Thai's about WW2 whistling.gif

It never happened

heh, reminds me... I've met Thais who don't even know who Pol Pot is. Jesus... how horrible.

Most Thais I've asked never heard of Jackie Chan,

but they absolutely love Chern Long.

I once asked my wife how to say "perfect", she told me "paw dee", which to me means "good enough". I imagined

her watching a workman finish a barely acceptable job and in his desire to demonstrate his vast English skills said "Aah, perfect!" Now it is forever embedded in her mind that "it's perfect" and "it sucks" are synonymous.

Google Translate translates "perfect" as "sahm boon". I'll think use that from now on.

mate, they caught it in the bag then probably tipped it out on your veranda, watched them clean our airconditioner and they forced all the crap into the small drain on the upstairs veranda and I had to clean it out myself so it would actually drain water, they swept the rest from inside under the bed. In our new units I asked them to put in a pipe so we could hook up the drain from the sink(they forgot to bring it through the floor), smashed a hole in the floor and the pipe ended up an a bizare angle because they didnt cut the hole in the new tile in the correct spot so they just angled the pipe to fit itblink.png , when the water was eventually turned on in the units it ran out of the ceiling because they hadnt glued the pipe connections together, yep, real careful and meticulous, not.w00t.gif

In Singapore they followed the British and made it even better. In China they copy everyone and are trying to make it better. In Thailand they will always do it the Thai way as it is the only way and the best way. Supervison is essential in all things you want done as common standards are either not used or non existence.

Edited by peterchin

There seems to have been a rather large number of provocative threads opened recently by relative newcomers that all ask 'what you think'. Not a new way of drumming up business surely?

When in Rome! I wouldn't like to compare Thai workmen with British because while most tradesmen here do a good job there is quite a large percentage that believe "near enough is good enough" and still expect maximum pay for minimum effort.

Whooooosh!