Colours

lampard10

When I switched my windows 98 computor on this morning, it only had a 16 colour or two clour option. As all the programmes I use need 256 colours I'm up sh1t creek, paddleless. There is no way to change colour settings or picture size. Have I deleted something I shouldn't have? Also my display is huge.

Sounds like your video drivers have gone AWOL and things have defaulted back to VGA.

A reload of the drivers is the easiest fix I suspect.

Time to dig out your driver disks or visit the website of the graphics card manufacturer.

It might be a good time to upgrade your operating system, its only going to get harder and harder to run new hardware and software programs on 98.

For now have you checked your display properties?

You may want to try re-installing your video drivers.

It might be a good time to upgrade your operating system, its only going to get harder and harder to run new hardware and software programs on 98.

I've got three coms on XP, 1 on 98, and one on 2000. How do I reinstall video drivers?

I've got three coms on XP, 1 on 98, and one on 2000. How do I reinstall video drivers?

Ill walk you through,

Go to control panel

Click the SYSTEM icon

Click the HARDWARE TAB

Click the DEVICE MANAGER button

Find DISPLAY ADAPTER and then click it to show your device, then double click it

Click DRIVER tab

First try roll back driver, if it cant find it post back, but if it does just let it do its thing and then reboot.

If problem isnt fixed we can move on to DOWLOADING new drivers.

This is the safest thing to try first.

good luck

I assume you are not in "Safe Mode"

I have had this problem before on a "98" system, but can't remember exactly what I did to overcome it.

I would try a couple of reboots, just to see if that helps.

If I can remember, I'll let you know, but I don't think I reloaded any drivers.

Win 98 usually does come with a back-up copy of all files, these can be found in:

c:/windows/options/cabs

So if you can think of any windows files you may have deleted you should find a copy there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

hi'

after loading 98, uninstall the current video driver, return to basic vga(which is what you see), reboot and reinstall the video driver.

say no if any detection comes up, do it yourself either with the latest driver from the net or the cd you have.

never forget that it's always better to uninstall the old driver before to update or to reinstall. and it's valid until win wp :o

francois

Thanks fellas for all your advice, but as yet nothing works. Even installing a new device. I even had Yorky round to help me. I guess Ill have to call the goons in, or use my normal mode of rectification. i.e. Toss it through the window and buy another one.

Lampy

I've got a shitty old computer monitor keyboard etc etc but a thai friend came here and changed my 98 to XP and its a world of difference, but u know that already, sorry, I'll bugger off back to my Chang..OOOps we are all not drinking Chang Dhoposak now are we..... :o