Living in Thailand...

Noi657

Hi all,

I would love to hear from people that are living in Thailand and those that are thinking of doing it. Particularly interested to hear from business owners and families. I frequently scroll through many posts on TV and other sites and to be honest half the time it makes me feel down! I would love to hear the other side, people that are happy in Thailand! While I think it's important to understand all the pit falls etc and yes it is important to hear honest views, even if they are bad. The purpose of this thread is to find the happy buggers out there. Where do you live? What business are you in? How's family life? And do you have any regrets or wish you had done things slightly differently?

Kind regards

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't use ThaiVisa as a benchmark, most don't live in Thailand, the rest are old geezers with no life, a few of us are different.

If you took Thaivisa as your benchmark, you'd never come to Thailand, ThaiVisa makes Thailand appear to be the worst country in the world. but it obviously isn't the way they feel, else they would not be here, would they ? blink.png

Only two sentences but so much contradiction and hate...

Here you are using TV to say TV should not be used as a benchmark.

Most dont live in Thailand or are old geezers...a few of us are different? You are an old geezer who does live in Thailand or a young geezer who doesnt?

Who do you refer to in your last sentence? Old Geezers with no life, those with a life, or a few that are different, or the most that don't live here?

Seems to me to you were trying to come across a non-jaded young English Teacher who lives in Thailand but failed spectacularly but I do agree with you in your first part. Don't use TV as benchmark...OP. Post number 2 should give you a clue.

• Like 2

This is going well. One positive post out of six replies and the others are complaining about the TV community.

Once you get past the point of judging everything and everyone around you based on your past experience and standards, life becomes much easier. Things are neither good nor bad as compared to your past experience, they;re just different. Either you embrace the difference or not. Same as anywhere.

Yeah c'mon people, keep things "happy"

Don't use ThaiVisa as a benchmark, most don't live in Thailand, the rest are old geezers with no life, a few of us are different.

If you took Thaivisa as your benchmark, you'd never come to Thailand, ThaiVisa makes Thailand appear to be the worst country in the world. but it obviously isn't the way they feel, else they would not be here, would they ? blink.png

Only two sentences but so much contradiction and hate...

Here you are using TV to say TV should not be used as a benchmark.

Most dont live in Thailand or are old geezers...a few of us are different? You are an old geezer who does live in Thailand or a young geezer who doesnt?

Who do you refer to in your last sentence? Old Geezers with no life, those with a life, or a few that are different, or the most that don't live here?

Seems to me to you were trying to come across a non-jaded young English Teacher who lives in Thailand but failed spectacularly but I do agree with you in your first part. Don't use TV as benchmark...OP. Post number 2 should give you a clue.

<deleted> is your issue about people who don't live in Thailand? Some choose to maintain a home in their home country, and have extensive visits to Thailand every year. BTW that takes money.

I'm one of those and sometimes I get the feeling that I know more about Thailand that someone who's lived only in Pattaya or Phuket and doesn't get out much, or who's lived only in BKK working at a job.

Thailand could be compared to the blind man describing an elephant. I never stop visiting different areas and especially I never stop asking old timers about what their experiences in their area are like. I PM'd 2 different members who are on the ground in Isaan just this past week to ask them questions about what they see on various issues.

I'm looking for a non-tourist area to live and I want to get it right so I ask, ask, ask, and visit a different part every trip.

Please don't tell me I don't know anything about Thailand.

• Like 1

As long as you live at least 20 mins drive away from the MIL, life is beautiful :)

Seriously though, once you can get away from the initial tourist/bar/endless holiday situation and start living life as you would anywhere else in the world, Thailand has so many positives.

Personally I would probably not have chosen it as a place to live had I not met my wife, however I am very happy that I did.

41yrs old, live outside Suratthani town and work offshore 4 months a year. Saves anyone looking for my stats :)

• Like 1

I am still a Newbie, but it works for me, Retired here over 4 years ago, living in ''Phuket'', as i love the sea and the beaches ..

Travel within Thailand, to various destinations, but still love ''Phuket''....

I am not one for trolling bars and clubs etc etc, just a normal ''Joe Bloggs''..

Easily pleased, and happy with my Lot..

only downside is the ''Driving'' extremely dangerous...

But apart from that , all is well.

• Like 1

I have been here almost 7 years and it has been a rollercoaster. Some ups, some downs but it has been an interesting ride. I love London (my home town) but I doubt I could return. I live near Pattaya which is like my stay here, a rollercoaster. But my work is here so I need to be. I could complain all day but, by the same token I could spend all day extolling the virtues of Thailand.

I have never been ripped off by women but they have cost me a few shekels. None of which I regret. I keep hoping I will meet the right woman to grow old (er) with but that has not happened yet. But I live in hope.

I paraphase Shakespeare, "Theres nothing in this world thats good or bad but thinking makes it so".

• Like 2

Most of the posts in Thaivisa are only about 'smart foreigners' saying Thai things and people are stupid.

I hate most posts as they are mostly sarcastic about Thailand.

I hate these MF's' I always want to ask most of them, why don't you just leave Thailand and go to your beautiful country. <deleted> are you doing here acting smart?

As much as I like to bitch, this past year and half has actually been quite successful for me and my wife.

In 2012 we started a small tutoring/translation service (my wife speaks, reads and writes damn near Fluently at this point) out of our apartment. Most of it was teaching: one on one, small groups etc. nothing more than 7 people at a time. We did it unregistered and at the time all I had was an O marriage visa. So I was constantly worrying about someone knocking on my door wanting to see papers (instead we had about three different police officers come to our door to get papers translated from Thai to English) We spent months and about a total of 80,000 baht and we have just received our papers that show are company is registered and paying taxes. I got my work permit yesterday and feel very relieved and accomplished. Of course I couldn't have done any of this without the FULL trust of my wife. We are hoping for continued success and feel very pleased with the progress of the school, our income is very good at the moment and our retention rate with students is also a strong point...

The service is in Nongbualamphu and it is called "Nong Bua Language House" if anyone is in the area and wants to stop by and take a look, please feel free to. It is located near Nattanpong Motor company near the roundabout. I will also PM my number to anyone who may be interested.

• Like 1

I live here in Retirement.

It may be called life, relatively speaking.

I am happy, relatively speaking.

One regret only - it was good to be young but...

Otherwise - no complaints.tongue.png

Why do you use TV? When recommending others not to use it

I have lived and worked in nine countries. I live my quiet life with my Thai wife and love it here. Very nice people, all the amenities of any place in the world, variety of shopping, food, sports, entertainment and high quality of life. I'm not one to go to for the nightlife. Have many Thai and expat friends also.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Im a newbie (retired) only been here 6 years, married for 4 and live in Udon Thani (just outside the city).

My advice is accept, adjust and you will soon find life will become just normal, (even guys driving the wrong way down the street becomes acceptable.

Life is what you make it but try to avoid comparing it to the west. Life is easier here than the west, less hassle, more freedom.

My only regret is not being able to move here sooner (retired at 55)

I agree with many posters, this forum attracts many negative posts if it rains or its too hot... its the Thais fault, you do wonder why (if they are living here) why they bother.

Edited by Tafia