Open hood

One neighbour started with opening his hood when he came home with the car. Later another neighbour also started doing that and now the whole street opens the hood of the car when they come home.

My wife had the same car for 12 years and never had problems. They do this because Thai think it's better for the rubber hoses to cool down faster. Why Toyota doesn't make a coolerfan under the hood? This is ridiculous.

Do you also do that (or your thai neighbours)?

I hate the look of it....all open hoods.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, never noticed this.. what does it suppose to do?

Don't forget to place filled bottles of water at each wheel too. You will be more Thai than your neighbors.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LOL, never noticed this.. what does it suppose to do?

Don't forget to place filled bottles of water at each wheel too. You will be more Thai than your neighbors.

I think it's supposed to keep alk the dogs from pissing on your tires & wheels.

• Like 1

One day i put my scooter on the street with open buddyseat. They didn't get that i think, i will do it again with the waterbottles as well.

O

I noticed that they only do it in our cheaper street. The more expensive houses don't do that. I guess i live between the totsters. One also drives around with red plates for more then a year now. So hi-so but still opens the hood every day.

Another guy always parks on the street, next to a park and then checks all the doors if they are really locked, then puts a cover over his car, every night.

They won't buy a carport but will rather buy alloy rims or something like that.

Another one has a huge Benz, huge BMW and also a Volvo and has to park them on the street, only 2 fit on the driveway without carport. So he also covers them every night. Lately he bought the empty house next to him just to park the cars with the covers. Why not buy a bigger house? One car like that costs more then the whole house.

Edited by namdocmai

I do it every day. It is to help prolong the life of the battery if it is located under the hood. Heat is a battery killer. When you turn off the engine heat increases under the hood before it cools down, hence, battery gets hotter than when the engine is running or in motion. ....................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I do it every day. It is to help prolong the life of the battery if it is located under the hood. Heat is a battery killer. When you turn off the engine heat increases under the hood before it cools down, hence, battery gets hotter than when the engine is running or in motion. ....................coffee1.gif

I see, well then install a small fan like from a computer or so and make a temperatureswitch in the wiring. To me it looks so crappy and when we are in bed we hear them all drop the hood to close it.

Battery's in Thailand are crappy anyway, don't last longer then 2 years. In Europe they do 5 years and even in icecold winters.

Also we have parked several times in full sun all day and never had the wipers melted to the windscreen. Also that one i don't understand from the Thai.

Batteries are cheap enough in LOS. And I've never seen this practice in Pattaya...must be a Bangkok moron type thing.

Don't think T/A is in Bangkok, believe he's in the sticks, nor was Bangkok ever mentioned in the thread. I do agree it seems completely unnecessary though. I live in a climate every bit as hot as Thailand (more so with the humidity) and we don't have the battery problems they seem to have.

The windshield wipers is not about "melting" to the windshield but it does cause the contact edge to dry up, become brittle & rot out quicker. From my point of view though, how much life is actually gained by the effort invested? I don't see enough gain to be such a pain, replace every season anyways.

..and when you pull out your wiper blades all the time,you will stretch the spring...so what is cheaper,to replace,your rubber,or the whole assembly thing...?! tongue.pngsmile.png

• Like 1

Don't think T/A is in Bangkok, believe he's in the sticks, nor was Bangkok ever mentioned in the thread. I do agree it seems completely unnecessary though. I live in a climate every bit as hot as Thailand (more so with the humidity) and we don't have the battery problems they seem to have.

The windshield wipers is not about "melting" to the windshield but it does cause the contact edge to dry up, become brittle & rot out quicker. From my point of view though, how much life is actually gained by the effort invested? I don't see enough gain to be such a pain, replace every season anyways.

..and when you pull out your wiper blades all the time,you will stretch the spring...so what is cheaper,to replace,your rubber,or the whole assembly thing...?! tongue.pngsmile.png

I was thinking that maybe the Thai use the cheap replacement rubbers for the wipers, they are very cheap but you have to assemble them yourself on the wipers. Maybe those things melt/stick easy to the windscreen?

I guess they open the hood to protect the rubber parts of the engine but if you open the hood in full sun the rubber will dry out as well by UV-light. And maybe some bird or squarrel/cat will start picking the carwires, i just wouldn't do it.

Thai do some very good Batteries,but that's reflected in the price range and they go for cheapoes ,the Heat is the Prob here.Jaguar fit battery cooling fans to some models even in Europe.Some of the O.E Car Batteries here are very small, seen bigger on U.S Harley Bikes.Thais love Fads, the Lurid Green Mountain Dew bottles dangling behind trucks are the rage up in Hillbilly Land,coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Extreme low or high temperatures are not good for batteries. In very cold environment people often uses some sort of insulation or electric heating, but there is also a Thermo barrier available for hot zones:

0_13200.jpg

What I've experienced is, that in extreme hot climate the battery often dies without any warning at all, usually within 3-5 years.

One day it pulls the starter through like always, next day starter is not moving at all.

Yes, I lift the hood (we call it the bonnet) whenever I think no one is going to nick what is underneath and every time that I get back to my house. It gets 'kin hot in there if I leave the hood closed.

The nearside front wing, quite often it's almost too hot to touch after been parked for a couple of minutes (I won't say parked for a short time to avoid loads of humorous comments). Commonsense tells you that it can't do the battery any good doesn't it!

No I don't lift the wipers, but they do stick to the screen if you don't wet and lift them frequently.

• Like 1

Thank you JAS. Some very strange post above eh blink.png .

Still, I don't give a shit what anyone thinks if my experiment works.

First two Toyota batteries lasted exactly 2 years each, and with an auto that is a real pain. Soooooooooo, did some homework thumbsup.gif .

I bought a Boliden battery and got in the habit of lifting the hood at home, not at Tesco's rolleyes.gif, until stuff has cooled down. The battery is now 2 years and 7 months old and still reads 12.7 volts after night standing. thumbsup.gif

So you folk carry on. smile.png

Could have something to do with buying a higher quality battery eh (Boliden)? One battery is not definitive proof.

For sure, but as I said, did a bit of homework (reading). My ol' Pontiac had the battery under the hood, heat problems, so welded in a box in the trunk floor, problems gone. thumbsup.gif

So weld one into the Toyo, so you dont look like a Corn Pone when U get Home.biggrin.png

I wish I had my workshop here now. That job would have been done years ago. thumbsup.gif

To me it is common sense to locate a working vehicles (truck) battery in a "cooler" place, but I suppose there is the cost issue.

So weld one into the Toyo, so you dont look like a Corn Pone when U get Home.biggrin.png

I wish I had my workshop here now. That job would have been done years ago. thumbsup.gif

To me it is common sense to locate a working vehicles (truck) battery in a "cooler" place, but I suppose there is the cost issue.

As I remember most cars pre 60s put the battery in the trunk (boot). Was this the reason?

My 5-Series had the battery in the boot ... a 2006 car ... that battery lasted almost 6 years ............... Edited by JAS21

As I remember most cars pre 60s put the battery in the trunk (boot). Was this the reason?

On drag race cars, battery was placed over RH rear wheel to increase traction, as well as lessen weight on the front.

• Like 2

My 5-Series had the battery in the boot ... a 2006 car ... that battery lasted almost 6 years ...............

My 1963 Maserati GT3500 had the battery in the trunk -left the country for extended period, acid had rotted thru had to replace the floor. Car was immaculate, wish i had kept it.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131118/carnews01/131119914

On drag race cars, battery was placed over RH rear wheel to increase traction, as well as lessen weight on the front.

*-

Did they open the hood at the end of the strip?