First Aid Course In CM?

Greenside

After a recent very close call, I've decided I need to brush up on my First Aid knowledge. Years ago, when I had a business in Europe, we were obliged to have a qualified person on the premises at all times and, along with other members of staff, I took a course operated by St John's Ambulance. I think it was either one or two days and covered a lot of very useful skills, almost all of which I have forgotten by now.

This post is firstly to ask if anyone knows of such a course already available in Chiang Mai, or BKK at a pinch. Best if it is conducted in English and Thai but I suppose one might be able to take along someone to translate if necessary..

Secondly, would other people be interested in joining a course if one can be found or started?

Please, no TTV posts along the lines of "never stop to help anyone, you'll get sued, blamed, etc." My principal interest is looking after my family and, in situations where minutes count, I'd like to be sure I'm doing the best I possibly can should anyone have another accident.

While I'm posting, my son was undoubtedly saved by the excellent staff in the Emergency Room at Rajavej Hospital, so heartfelt thanks to them.

• Like 2

Maybe Rajavej Hospital can come up with something, they have access to a wide audience on this forum.

Glad to hear your son is now OK.

Yes, I was thinking that they would be a good bet if there's nothing already available.

Thanks.

If you are all happy to chip in to cover the costs I'm happy to fly to Phuket and study the first aid instructors course and then come back and teach you ;)

Some (hopefully) more sensible suggestions:

Maybe the local Boy Scouts association has some training they can offer (thing like the old first aid badge sprung to mind)?

Would this be something the YMCA offer?

Finally, if there is enough interest, maybe the Chiang Mai Expats club could organise something - Nancy certainly seems very resourceful

• Like 1

I'll be talking to Nancy about it as I'm sure that the CEC will have some members interested in participating. They tried to do one years ago but the teacher, although well qualified as a paramedic, didn't really seem to want to cover the things that most of the attendees were there for. Another try is in order.

I looked into it a few years back, not for me as I do mine every 2 years in oz for work, but for the missus. the Red Cross does do it, in thai. They will run the course once they have enough people on the list, though there seemed little demand as they ran it very infrequently. I tried encouraging her friends to join in to make a group up but they didn't see the point.

Demand might have changed since then, they might actually run it more regularly these days.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

I'd be happy to chip in if someone can find a qualified instructor. I've had quite a few courses in my life, starting as a medic in Vietnam 45 years ago right up though

Rescue Diver certification 15 years ago. But nothing since then and I'd be glad to catch up on any of the latest ideas. Count me in if you find a class somewhere!

• 1 month later...

Hey. There's a great English CPR/First Aid course that in on May 17th at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok. 4000 baht and you get Emergency First Responder Training. I just signed up for it and got my plane tickets on Airasia.com - cheap as well. Most course like this that I've found elsewhere in Thailand run 6000+ baht.

Check it out the website, but know that you have to sign-up by the beginning of next week to get in the class - http://www.bumrungrad.com/en/cprtraining2014

Space is limited.

It would be really great if people did take a course, as you never know when you might need it.

My feeling is that not many will, judging from the comments I read about never bothering to stop and help someone in case you get blamed.

It's a real shame. sad.png

Hey. There's a great English CPR/First Aid course that in on May 17th at Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok. 4000 baht and you get Emergency First Responder Training. I just signed up for it and got my plane tickets on Airasia.com - cheap as well. Most course like this that I've found elsewhere in Thailand run 6000+ baht.

Check it out the website, but know that you have to sign-up by the beginning of next week to get in the class - http://www.bumrungrad.com/en/cprtraining2014

Space is limited.

I'll be very interested in learning all about the session, Mtatiwong. I've inquired about having this type of session before, both from Rajavej and CM Ram and not been able to gain any "traction" -- but that was before I had the CEC connection. Also, that was before I knew there was even such a course offered in Thailand, in English. I wonder if there would be enough interest to justify hiring the instructor from Bumrungrad to come up to Chiang Mai to conduct the session if we can't find anyone locally?