British Brothel Fugitive Held In Thailand

george

Brothel fugitive held in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Thai police have arrested a British woman who fled to Thailand several years ago after she was convicted and sentenced for running brothels.

Angela Miller, 49, was part of a group which brought Thai girls into Britain to work as prostitutes at massage parlours in Northampton and Leicester.

Miller fled to Thailand in 2000 before her trial and was given a jail term of three-and-a-half years in her absence.

She was arrested on Sunday and will face an extradition hearing.

Substantial profit

Miller was first arrested after a raid was carried out in 1998 at the massage parlour in Kingsley Park Terrace in Northampton.

When she failed to attend the court hearing at Northampton Crown Court in 2000 all ports and airports were put on alert for her.

She was then sentenced to three-and-a-half years in her absence.

When it was thought she had fled to the Far East, British authorities requested the arrest of Miller, previously known by the Thai name Onchitra Chitprasert, for extradition to England to face her jail sentence.

The Crown Court heard her businesses made substantial profits.

--BBC 2005-06-05

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The horror. Just imagine, a Thai woman involved in prostitution in another country? It boggles the mind, the things these women do after they are given a visa.

I hope that all her assistants are given free flights back to Somtamland.

On the other hand, perhaps if there were more brothels in England there would be less violence and vandalism? :o

Edited by ratcatcher

Dosh is too good, not enough to grab a visa, but need to ply a trade. I assume do this for a bit and get the dosh back to thailand and they are set. However prob just one person making the dosh, ie madam and the actual ladies get little.

Wonder how they manage to get the girls into the UK though? They seem to have a very thorough screening process these days. Unless they were smuggled in I guess - I imagine it would be near-impossible these days to do it with visas.

Wonder how they manage to get the girls into the UK though? They seem to have a very thorough screening process these days. Unless they were smuggled in I guess - I imagine it would be near-impossible these days to do it with visas.
:o

Seems you forget ASIAN Message parlors in the UK have what you want in the sense you asked for it.

Ask for a Thai she will be Thai from any Asian country if she has the look?

Ask for a Malay she will be Malay

No matter where she comes from, Some ask for a Thai She could be from Taiwan, some ask for a Chinese she could be from Singapore, India, Indonesia, or Philippines so go figure???

I do know it is almost imposible to get a visa to the USA and pretty sure that Britain must be the same.

All you need is to google for Asian Girls London and similar. Or see the ads in some local papers. the girls, regardless of nationality, will frequently advertise as singaporean or japanese - because these countries don't need visa, and the chance that police will come to check visas are thus lower.

getting a visa is not almost impossible. some hints: a) marry then divorce british guy. B) student visa for english school, then overstay (probability of getting caught is very low, if you're caught you will just be deported anyway). ask any foreigner in your home country (england?) and they can tell you at least ten ways to get a visa. it didn't take long of mixing with thais here in London before I had heard more stories than I wanted to hear.

rgds

NM

Edited by NordicMan

a very small drop in a very large bucket. but it's nice to know that at least in some countries "prostitution is illegal" really means that it is illegal; ie: the authorities will arrest you for doing it.

Prostitution (in itself) isn't illegal in the UK.

There are laws against running a brothel (as in this case), streetwalking, kerb-crawling, etc., but the actual act of being paid for sex is perfectly legal in the UK.

(That's why the people with all the adverts in the phone booths could only be done for littering).

As for visas, please tell me you're joking... The UK (until recently), didn't check people's passports on leaving, so has no idea how many people who went there as tourists for two weeks, or on a business trip for a few days, actually left when they said they would (hence the Home Office having no clue whatsoever how many illegal immigrants there are in the UK).

And the police can't do much about it unless they catch someone working (and not paying NI/Tax) or committing a crime, as foreigners in the UK are NOT required to carry their passport or have any form of ID on them, and there are quite a few ex-commonwealth countries, such as Malaysia and Singapore where people don't need a visa to "visit" the UK.

Even for a Thai, travelling on a Thai passport, if someone is asking to go for a week on business, or two weeks on holiday, especially if travelling as a couple, I believe it's relatively easy to get a visa).

The fact that the UK is now checking passports when people leave means that it should get less easy over time. (i.e. The company sending 3 people on a business trip where only 2 people come back, or the couple where only the man returns "might" be picked up on now).

Edited by bkk_mike

a very small drop in a very large bucket. but it's nice to know that at least in some countries "prostitution is illegal" really means that it is illegal; ie: the authorities will arrest you for doing it.

Prostitution (in itself) isn't illegal in the UK.

There are laws against running a brothel (as in this case), streetwalking, kerb-crawling, etc., but the actual act of being paid for sex is perfectly legal in the UK.

(That's why the people with all the adverts in the phone booths could only be done for littering).

As for visas, please tell me you're joking... The UK (until recently), didn't check people's passports on leaving, so has no idea how many people who went there as tourists for two weeks, or on a business trip for a few days, actually left when they said they would (hence the Home Office having no clue whatsoever how many illegal immigrants there are in the UK).

If someone is asking to go for a week on business, or two weeks on holiday, especially if travelling as a couple or more, I believe it's relatively easy to get a visa).

The fact that the UK is now checking passports when people leave means that it should get less easy over time. (i.e. The company sending 3 people on a business trip where only 2 people come back, or the couple where only the man returns "might" be picked up on now).

I don't think it will matter much whether they know you haven't left the country or not.

Even if they know you didn't leave on time, they still can't kick you out before they actually find you. And that's quite hard. The thai hookers will still get kicked out when they get nicked without a visa by police during random searched of the hooker flats. And once kicked out, they won't get a new visa to england... before they buy a new passport from someone in the village back home who physically look like them. (until england introduce biometric coding on the passports)

Dosh is too good, not enough to grab a visa, but need to ply a trade. I assume do this for a bit and get the dosh back to thailand and they are set. However prob just one person making the dosh, ie madam and the actual ladies get little.

If I read it carefully it sounds like she had a son by that Englishman who profited most.

Serves her right to fall for the bloody son being important....

this will be interesting , sounds like she is thai , born in thailand but with british nationality now , with a brit husband or ex somewhere along the line.

will the thais actually deport one of their own ?

Here are the full details http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/judgmen.../j1940/lant.htm

Oh Gawd - more appeals against sentences by Eccles - will he ever get a conviction to stick?

The horror. Just imagine, a Thai woman involved in prostitution in another country? It boggles the mind, the things these women do after they are given a visa.

On the other hand, perhaps if there were more brothels in England there would be less violence and vandalism? :o

Perhaps you don't realize how offensive such chauvinistic statements are to women, and Thai women. Most Thai women, and Thai women with VISAS living in other countries are not involved with prostitution. There are tens of thousands of Thai women living in Los Angeles alone who have nothing to do with prostitution.

Prostitution and exploitation of women, crimes in most places, do NOT reduce occurrences of violent crime or vandalism. Disrespect for women in general encourages violent crime against women, and the working girls themselves are frequent targets of violence. Nobody is ever surprised when another prostitute turns up dead. Some people think that if prostitutes are not readily available to men that men will resort to committing rape. The opposite is true. When some men see women as prostitutes they expect women to give themselves up to them as a matter of course, and when they don't get what they want turn violent.

293 User(s) are reading this topic (230 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

Wow....a lot of members (and even more 'guests') are interested in brothels :o

LaoPo

It will indeed be interesting to follow this case. The Thais several years ago allowed a Thai former senator to be extradicted to the US for shipping huge quantities of marijuana there over a period of years. The guy managed to get off in the end after spending about a year behind bars in the US. Allowing a Thai to be extradicted is unusual but can happen. In the drugs case there was huge pressure from the US and he obviously didn't pay enough or have the right connections to avoid extradiction. In this case I don't see so much pressure coming from the UK which has less influence with Thailand anyway. It has to be a very clear cut case where the offence and penalty would be very similar in both countries. The laws against brothel keeping are quite antiquated in the UK and may not match the Thai Prostitution Act. My recollection of the case was that the women were doing it of their own volition and were not under age, forced, tricked or imprisoned. If it was pretty much a victimless crime, and she still has money to pay police, lawyers and prosecutors here, she probably has a good chance to avoid extradition.

I don't how she got the girls to the UK but I would guess that, as a Thai, she would have been able to ferret out ex-bar girls married to British men to hook on the side or who who had already split with their husbands. I went into a Thai massage parlour in London once and there were genuine Thai women in their late 30s early 40s there. None of them were pretty and all were married to or divorced from British men.

Seems like a silly thing for the UK govt to make a fuss about, if no women were mistreated. Their immigration laws are ridiculous. If their citizens want to marry a gold digging Thai bar girl covered in tatoos and bring her home, it should be their right. Also Thais should be able to get tourist visas much more easily. Laws against brothels are ridiculous too. You can never legislate away the demand or supply. Much better to zone it and regulate it to minimize abuse of the sex workers reduce risk of AIDs and other diseases and also collect taxes. Thailand only introduced anti prostitution laws in the 50s under pressure from the US which was giving a large amount of aid to the military government at the time.

There's a famous San Francisco police officer who poses as street prostitute, and as soon as she has enough evidence that you are going to pay she pulls out the shackles. The real version. And backup.

I hear she's very attractive, too. Which goes to show that some countries go *just a bit overboard* with weeding out illegal prostitution :o

I do know it is almost imposible to get a visa to the USA and pretty sure that Britain must be the same.

Visa? god, the immigration service is pathetic here, there are thousands of illegal immigrants running around and the authorities have no idea where they are. All they need to do is turn up claim to be burmese and claim asylum. then they can bunk off and claim benefits and do whatever they want with little fer of being arrested.

There was a case last week of an immigration man offering to "help" an application of a Zimbabwean woman - if she had sex with him. Trouble was he came to the Uk as an illegal immigrant as well!

... Laws against brothels are ridiculous too. You can never legislate away the demand or supply. Much better to zone it and regulate it to minimize abuse of the sex workers reduce risk of AIDs and other diseases and also collect taxes. Thailand only introduced anti prostitution laws in the 50s under pressure from the US which was giving a large amount of aid to the military government at the time.

Agreed. Did you know that, amongst all the other things that were built for the World Cup 2006 in Germany, a huge new brothel was built as well?! They figured there would be loads of male tourists coming to experience the Cup - clearly, a huge brothel was called for :o

Way to go Germany!

Making the oldest trade in the world into illegal is similar to making weed illegal: It makes the mafia rich and has little effect on consumption. Making it legal, on the other hand, gives money to the government (taxes) and sucks out $$$ from organized (and non-organized) crime. So the question is, who has a vested interest in keeping these things illegal?!

Perhaps you don't realize how offensive such chauvinistic statements are to women, and Thai women. Most Thai women, and Thai women with VISAS living in other countries are not involved with prostitution. There are tens of thousands of Thai women living in Los Angeles alone who have nothing to do with prostitution.

Prostitution and exploitation of women, crimes in most places, do NOT reduce occurrences of violent crime or vandalism. Disrespect for women in general encourages violent crime against women, and the working girls themselves are frequent targets of violence. Nobody is ever surprised when another prostitute turns up dead. Some people think that if prostitutes are not readily available to men that men will resort to committing rape. The opposite is true. When some men see women as prostitutes they expect women to give themselves up to them as a matter of course, and when they don't get what they want turn violent.

Where do you live, South Central LA? Sounds pretty rough... :D nevertheless, it's somewhat missing the point as the horrific crimes you mention are not related to prostitution. The original poster just stated what is easy to see for anyone with two eyes, that there are many fishy "massage parlors" in places where prostitution is forbidden. I am in San Francisco, and these are everywhere, and many do claim to be "Thai", for what it's worth.

I kindly disagree that prostitution is exploitation - there are many prostitutes in this world who do it for the money, not because they are being exploited. That's a fact. I am not a huge fan of that - for reasons that probably exceed the scope of conversation here - but I am very much in favor for letting them do what they do in a legal and safe environment. Same for their customers, better they can get the service they want legally and safely.

The alternative is pushing the business in the underground, enabling said exploitation and all sorts of other nasty consequences. It becomes yet another source of income for organized crime.

In Austria - where I come from - we have campaigns for prostitutes to get registered, checked for STDs and general health, they get health and unemployment benefits, and we crack down on illegal operations twice as hard.

All you need is to google for Asian Girls London and similar. Or see the ads in some local papers. the girls, regardless of nationality, will frequently advertise as singaporean or japanese - because these countries don't need visa, and the chance that police will come to check visas are thus lower.

Don't forget about Hongkong

There's a famous San Francisco police officer who poses as street prostitute, and as soon as she has enough evidence that you are going to pay she pulls out the shackles. The real version. And backup.

I hear she's very attractive, too. Which goes to show that some countries go *just a bit overboard* with weeding out illegal prostitution

Sounds like entrapment to me.

I know two Thai women that are prostituting themselves in the UK.

Both are about 30, give or take. On has split from her English husband, but was never faithful anyway - she once boasted to all and sunder that she had some guy screw her in the plane toilet cubicle who she had happened to sit next to and didn't so much as ask his name!

The other is still married and tells her husband, who works nights, that she stays with friends because she gets lonely when he is working. She also boasted at a friend's party that when her husband was broke that she would dump him (he is the same age as her by the way). He is deparate for a kid and she played on it, telling him she would go to Thailand and have her tubes untied (steralisation reversed) - he took a loan and she got a boob job instead!

Having said that, I know dozens of other Thai women in the UK - and most avoid these girls (not because of their 'job', I think, but because of their personalities).

I also know a guy - he's Thai - that runs (or used to run, think he's stopped now, but not sure) a prostitute ring. He actually owns several Thai Restaurants, but several of his staff (and ex staff) want to earn a little more. He takes a commision for taking the bookings and the girls take the risks. They all approach him though, not the other way around. I didn't include these girls in my two aboe, because I know of them rather than know them personally.

There are plently of Thai (and other nationality) Pro's in the UK. I doubt their are many that are forced into it - maybe from other countries like Russia and China where the girls are smuggled rather than come in by visa - but I doubt many enforced Thai Pr's in the UK. Just my supposition.

I hear she's very attractive, too. Which goes to show that some countries go *just a bit overboard* with weeding out illegal prostitution

Sounds like entrapment to me.

No such thing as entrapment in the US anymore. They call it a "Sting" operation and are proud of them. As far as I know, the only legal prostitution in the US is in Nevada and then only outside cities of less that 25,000 people. Streetwalkers, brothels, Massage parlors with sex, etc in Las Vegas are all illegal. Still a bunch of them of course...

Every police department in the US has at least a part time "hooker" that works the street catching "crooks" trying to pay for sex. In some cities, if you pick up an undercover cop in your car and try to buy sex from her, the immediately confiscate your vehicle and if convicted, you forfit your car forever.

Kataiseeker

when this perticular massage parlour was raided by police and immigration,

a famous MP was found in there in a compromising situation,

cant remember who it was,

but remember reading about it in the local rag,

one week now before im off for a short break in LOS

:D