TV channels' portrayal of sexual violence harms our society

webfact

I have been saying this for over a decade and it just amazes me how this crap can be allowed to be broadcast again and again. The story of rape and the girl falling for the rapist is repeated so often in other stupid soaps over the years and it only glorifies it. I was shocked when I saw one of these my wife was watching a decade back. I was equally shocked to find that she felt the story was ok... "because the girl really loved him in the end"crazy.gif

I think the lack of action speaks volumes for the attitude of most of Thailand's male population. As in most of the region many Thai women are still brought up to be subservient to men and it is an attitude often passed down by mothers to daughters. Very sad.

It would be nice to see some actual useful and intelligent TV programing, how about some high quality educational programs. How about extolling the few good upstanding members of society rather than pandering to the corrupt and glorifying the thugs and thieves of society. How about some real documentaries. Agricultural education maybe.

Off on a tangent here, but say you wanted to increase rice productivity in a country with one of the lowest weight to hectare rice production rates in all of SE Asia 2.4 tons (Cambodia produces 2.7). Vietnam is producing over 6 tons per hectare, more than double what Thailand can manage. Surely a high quality educational program with heavy promotion on radio and in other media would be a great investment. With a few changes to rice farming Thailand's farmers could easily double their output in just a few years and at the same time reduce the slow poisoning of the countries soil and water sources with chemical fertilisers and pesticides. The power of TV is amazing if it's used properly.

Just a thought.coffee1.gif

Then again, I am pretty sure most of the population, as with most of the world, is actually very happy watching this mindless crap.sick.gif

The articles in media and the feminists are right.

Actual rape in Thailand doesn't hurt or bother most people.

It is it's portrayal on tv screens that hurts on many levels.

The hurt is felt mostly on the Artistic level. Never in my life did I see more talent lacking screen pics.

Fearing for my life saying such awful things about something Thai, but when my wife is watching their crap I am out of the room on another tv set.

Can't even criticize Hollywood after Thai soaps... sh-shivers!

Going back to actual rape. Can't think of better outcomes than described in above posts.

The usual scenario involves

- a good guy

- a bad girl

- a blind policeman

- a token amount of money

- a kind and understanding family

- a sanctity of life (no, no, no abortion)

- a career decision made easier and quicker

- a healthy growth of population

- a solution for family future.

N.B. I am not talking of cattle rape here. Such transgressions against good natured country people can be lethal.

Edited by ABCer

Off on a tangent here, but say you wanted to increase rice productivity in a country with one of the lowest weight to hectare rice production rates in all of SE Asia 2.4 tons (Cambodia produces 2.7). Vietnam is producing over 6 tons per hectare, more than double what Thailand can manage. Surely a high quality educational program with heavy promotion on radio and in other media would be a great investment.

So you mean the lead actress gets raped on a rice farm, bent over shiny new farm machinery, with a productivity flow diagram used to censor the fact that the guy is smoking a cigarette while sodomizing her? ... Something like that is probably in production as we speak,

Anything less than that is not going to hold the attention span of the average TV viewer here for the amount of time it would take to impart some useful information. Perhaps they could introduce a new sound effect .. you know, in the same way that the domestic audience is now conditioned to find something funny when they hear the *dionk* sound, perhaps we could have some other 3 stooges sound effect that they could become conditioned to recognize when they should switch some brain cells back on for a few moments.

TV disgusts me (world wide). I think it has lost whatever potential it had as an educational, socially positive, tool a long time ago, and no place I know of more so than here in Thailand. I can follow along with the Lakorn plot-lines in Thai just fine, so I'm not just citing 'lack of production values' or 'otherness' for this opinion v.s TV in the west, I'm also not slating the soap-operas exclusively - supposedly 'educational' shows here are more inane and tragically less well produced than the soaps imho, and the game shows could be summarized as: pick a card with a brand logo on it and if the number on the back of the card is divisible by 8 then a midget will do a dance and the producer's niece's brother-in-law gets 10,000bt, otherwise a pretty girl ends up covered in bugs. Unfortunately, I don't believe that my opinion will be shared by the large majority of people until they have listened to the Oishi-guy tell it to them, repeatedly, in equally spaced 15 second sound bites, over the course of several years ... and that isn't going to happen. Especially when that time could be 'better spent' convincing people that they need skin whitening treatment ... you know, in those profitable 4 minute interludes between rape/domestic violence scenes, or, on the flip side, confrontations where supposedly educated young women pull loaded guns out of their hand bags to deal with emotional situations ... (before being easily disarmed by their former rapists of course ... it wouldn't do to have one of those guys shot ... what would we be teaching the children then! tsk tsk) sad.png

Yea, it's TV's portrayal of sexual violence that harms society. Never mind the real sh*t.

Lets just point fingers at the media and hope no one notices that in reality Thai men are raping the living hell out of the women, and beating them, kidnapping them, and selling them, like there is no tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yea, it's TV's portrayal of sexual violence that harms society. Never mind the real sh*t.

Lets just point fingers at the media and hope no one notices that in reality Thai men are raping the living hell out of the women, and beating them, kidnapping them, and selling them, like there is no tomorrow.

Actually, almost every time the selling part has popped up in the news, it's been a woman running the trade.

Not a real national sport though, probably more like 0.1% of the population, the same part that has multiple social problems.