Police commander transferred in wake of Phuket dive 'extortion'

webfact

Police commander transferred in wake of Phuket dive 'extortion'
Anthika Muangrod

1396410355_1.jpg
New job in Thalang: Pol Col Krittapas Dechintarasorn.

PHUKET: -- The Commander of Chalong Police Station has been swapped with his counterpart in Thalang.

The transfer comes partly as a result of the behaviour of some Chalong police being reported to the Deputy Secretary-General of the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC), Prayong Preeyachitt.

The officers have been accused of extorting money from dive companies and their foreign staff.

Mr Prayong, it is understood, has asked the US Embassy to help in the case by taking evidence from two American victims of the alleged extortion.

Pol Maj Gen Ong’art Peiwruangnon, Commander of Phuket Provincial Police, yesterday (April 1) transferred Col Krittapas Dasintharasorn from Chalong to Thalang and ordered the head of Thalang Police Station, Pol Col Sirisak Wasasiri, to take over in Chalong.

Gen Ong-art told The Phuket News, “I swapped Col Krittapas with Col Sirisak, with immediate effect, to ensure a more proper working performance.”

Asked whether the dive industry problem was behind the transfers, Gen Ong’art said, “Yes, partly. Col Krittapas was unable to control his crew thoroughly, so I think it’s more appropriate to move him to Thalang Police Station. If he performs better there, he will be posted there permanently.

“My orders always depend on justice. To me, the people come first. Any policeman who can’t do his job properly may be moved.

“If the commander is good, there will be no bad police. This move is only an internal administration matter.”

Col Krittapas was not available for comment this morning.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-commander-transferred-in-wake-of-phuket-dive-%E2%80%98extortion%E2%80%99-45484.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-02

Lovely example of the root of the problem for Thailand. Instead of chopping the deadwood, they just shuffle it around. When the whole system collapses, they'll wonder why...

The wood is dead to the core, it needs to collapse from the top down.

All the posts on this topic are spot on! Police, civil servants, high ranking military officers, are just transferred and kept on the payroll when charged with misconduct. And this has been going on for years. No serious effort to control or abolish corruption. Reform? Not in my lifetime.

• Like 1

No consequences, no responsibility, no wonder the Police think/know they can do and get away with pretty much anything they want.

The biggest group of "mafia" in Thailand are the Police themselves and I hope there is going to be an overhaul soon and they actually start to fire/sack/remove some of these criminals.

Lovely example of the root of the problem for Thailand. Instead of chopping the deadwood, they just shuffle it around. When the whole system collapses, they'll wonder why...

If they want to really show the world they're serious about stopping/tackling corruption they'd sack this bloke instead of holding those endless pointless ceremonies with the government stooges standing around like lettuces, chests puffed out, holding their 'Stop Corruption' posters and bright shiny uniforms. They're not fooling anyone. The Thais aren't even buying this nonsense any more...

If I was as bad at my job as he was his, I'd have been back in the UK on the dole years ago...

"If they want to really show the world they're serious about stopping/tackling corruption they'd sack this bloke" - due to corruption, Thailand can't even form a Government to govern the country.

On the world stage, they should first clean up their political system, and then move onto all Government departments.

Corruption is that out of control here, they must start from the very top.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All the posts on this topic are spot on! Police, civil servants, high ranking military officers, are just transferred and kept on the payroll when charged with misconduct. And this has been going on for years. No serious effort to control or abolish corruption. Reform? Not in my lifetime.

And absolutely no different to the UK where government ministers who cost the country Billions through their incompetence are simply moved to a different department in the hope they do better there and the same goes for corrupt politicians, incompetent civil servants, often rewarded for utter incompetence and high ranking police officers simply allowed to retire with a nice redundancy pay off and gold plated pension.

Thailand is no different to countries around the world. Just many people seem to forget this when they move here

I'm not from the UK -- but I can tell you that in the US if a high ranking police officer was facing charges in a similar situation, they would be immediately put on a leave of absence pending an investigation. If such investigation showed misconduct or illegal acts (as in this case), they would be fired and face trail for their illegal conduct. I don't think I have 'forgotten' anything by moving here. The depth and breadth of corruption in Thailand is to the core. What would happen to you if you tried to bribe a police officer in the UK?

• Like 2

Reading between the lines it appears that the Major General knows that this is bribe taking has been taking place ( and probably getting a cut), so to save face, he needs to show he is being tough on crime (committed by the bib), by arranging the transfer from the gravy train Chalong police to the not as profitable Thalang posting.

Reading between the lines it appears that the Major General knows that this is bribe taking has been taking place ( and probably getting a cut), so to save face, he needs to show he is being tough on crime (committed by the bib), by arranging the transfer from the gravy train Chalong police to the not as profitable Thalang posting.

Pol Maj Gen Ong’art Peiwruangnon, Commander of Phuket Provincial Police, yesterday (April 1) transferred Col Krittapas Dasintharasorn from Chalong to Thalang and ordered the head of Thalang Police Station, Pol Col Sirisak Wasasiri, to take over in Chalong.

One Col. has had his time at the big trough so it is time to give the second Col. his turn. It's just a normal shuffle.coffee1.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

The problem is that they are all corrupt but this one caused a problem that got out of hand so they have to do something. How can one dishonest person punish another person for doing the same thing he does? Move him, that will teach him to be more clever when being corrupt :)

One Col. has had his time at the big trough so it is time to give the second Col. his turn. It's just a normal shuffle.coffee1.gif

Don't think so, not now.

Some people have started playing hardball, forcing the corruption agency to be seen taking action.

No doubt the police is not happy with this and there will be a backlash.

so a corrupted policeman is found "guilty" but instead of sending him to jail or for trial he is moved to the same job in another place ???????????? just wonder if sometime I read in a good way

Big difference between incompetent and guilty.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And absolutely no different to the UK where government ministers who cost the country Billions through their incompetence are simply moved to a different department in the hope they do better there and the same goes for corrupt politicians, incompetent civil servants, often rewarded for utter incompetence and high ranking police officers simply allowed to retire with a nice redundancy pay off and gold plated pension.

Thailand is no different to countries around the world. Just many people seem to forget this when they move here

I'm not from the UK -- but I can tell you that in the US if a high ranking police officer was facing charges in a similar situation, they would be immediately put on a leave of absence pending an investigation. If such investigation showed misconduct or illegal acts (as in this case), they would be fired and face trail for their illegal conduct. I don't think I have 'forgotten' anything by moving here. The depth and breadth of corruption in Thailand is to the core. What would happen to you if you tried to bribe a police officer in the UK?

"What would happen to you if you tried to bribe a police officer in the UK?"

It would depend on whether you picked the right officer, they are there, you know, also in the US. Thailand is not the only country with bad apples, by far.

This is shocking news! A corrupt policeman in Phuket? Unheard of! Worse still, it points to Phuket Police extorting money as well! Could those vicious rumours coming from unkind people about the Police collecting monthly payments from businesses be true then? I'm shaking with shock....

It would depend on whether you picked the right officer, they are there, you know, also in the US. Thailand is not the only country with bad apples, by far.

Something I wouldn't even consider doing in the US while it would be an expectation in Thailand. You are talking about systemic corruption, not just a 'few' bad apples.

• Like 1

TILT....WRONG....TRY AGAIN

It was April fools day.....transfer one fool for another into a fools position in a foolish country.

If the country is foolish, what does an intellectual like yourself still doing here? I am sure the place you came from will welcome you back with open arms.

Edited by sonar6ca

"Col Krittapas was unable to control his crew thoroughly" - so why wasn't he demoted, or fired? He's either corrupt, incompetent, or both.

Has that ever happened?? Have any corrupt officers ever been fired or jailed?? Have the perpetrators been suspended without pay during the investigation??

Where did the money go??

Hmm I thought so " Move along, nothing happened, nothing to see here" But wait till we get the bastard that dobbed us in, we will fix his little red wagon!!