TrueMoves Upgrades our apartment wifi speed by shutting off torrents!

BugJackBaron

Unbelievable. For a month or two we had really crappy iwifi in our apartment TrueMove has been given the task of upgrading the internet.

They did this with a new server and web-based logiin with wifi.

There are good and bad points to this approach.

But the kicker came when I found that they had got their speed increaseZ(which is now acceptable for browsing) by closing

all P2P ports. Being a bit of a techie , I found the technicians and confronted them about it and

was given a BS story about it being apartment policy. I doubt any of the apartment staff even understand the issue.

I thought this kind of tactic was not used much anymore cause people complained.

So what would you do in this situation? Move? Complain? Why can't they use traffic shaping to avcoid the

overuse of badwidth by P2P?

Using a non-standard port and enabling data encryption will often get past simple blocks.

Or find a VPN provider that permits torrents and send everything over VPN where it's secure from prying eyes (I use a VPN by default when away from home, you never know who's listening).

• Like 1

Get your own internet connection instead of using the building WiFi which is probably over-subscribed and abused by other residents in the bulding, hence the rules.

For 699 thb per month you can have 15mbps cable internet including installation and modem router, which is brilliant.

• Like 1

Get your own internet connection instead of using the building WiFi which is probably over-subscribed and abused by other residents in the bulding, hence the rules.

For 699 thb per month you can have 15mbps cable internet including installation and modem router, which is brilliant.

That's all fine and good but the apartment wants 2000 Baht to install the needed wiring. You would have to be very sure

you want to live there permanently.

I was curious because even in crappy View Talay, I don't believe they block the ports.

And I am sure there is a technical solution - trafffic shaping for example - that will limit the abuers and still allow

P2P access. . They are just taking the dirt-cheapest way out.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Getting a VPN costs money as does using a 3G WiFi doogle. I think you shouldn't need to use them for just this purpose.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Suck it up, buttercup. It happens, it's happened. It will happen again. 2000฿ is the cost of breakfast, not a long term investment. *sigh*

Presumably, through torrents, you'll steal a great order of magnitude of movies, television and music, anyways. Think of it as an investment.

That's all fine and good but the apartment wants 2000 Baht to install the needed wiring. You would have to be very sure

you want to live there permanently.

I was curious because even in crappy View Talay, I don't believe they block the ports.

And I am sure there is a technical solution - trafffic shaping for example - that will limit the abuers and still allow

P2P access. . They are just taking the dirt-cheapest way out.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Getting a VPN costs money as does using a 3G WiFi doogle. I think you shouldn't need to use them for just this purpose.

Edited by tinhead
  • Like 1

Being a fellow torrent user, I thought I would try to help out. This is the method I use to by-pass any attempted P2P blocks:

Find a free proxy server online and then use uTorrent which allows you to proxy the tracker connection without proxying the actual peer-to-peer connections. This lets you hide a connection to the trackers but allows the torrents to see whom to transfer with and then the Protocol Encryption does the rest.

Good Luck!

Being a fellow torrent user, I thought I would try to help out. This is the method I use to by-pass any attempted P2P blocks:

Find a free proxy server online and then use uTorrent which allows you to proxy the tracker connection without proxying the actual peer-to-peer connections. This lets you hide a connection to the trackers but allows the torrents to see whom to transfer with and then the Protocol Encryption does the rest.

Good Luck!

I may give it a try. I remember trying something like that years ago at a Bangkok university . It wouldn't work because of the use of the Socks 5 protocol.

Anyways, this seems to be the only place in this area engaging in this nonsense so I will probably move.

Unbelievable. You are complaining about a 2000 baht connection fee. Unless you are planning on moving out in 1 or 2 months, that 2000 baht fee will pay for itself in spades with a better, faster, more reliable connection.

Unbelievable. You are complaining about a 2000 baht connection fee. Unless you are planning on moving out in 1 or 2 months, that 2000 baht fee will pay for itself in spades with a better, faster, more reliable connection.

You are correct. In a couple of months I may move but not just due to the internet as it is just one problem here and now there seem to be better deals iin the area of Jomtien. Today I will have some cheese with my whine.

Should I decide to stay here for another year I will pay the 2000 Baht for a 3BB or TOT connection.

It's partly the principle of the thing as well as the fact is that many places

now have unfettered access to the internet with speeds of 3mb and 5 down. Enough even for such bandwidth hoggers as Skype.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good Luck!

I may give it a try. I remember trying something like that years ago at a Bangkok university . It wouldn't work because of the use of the Socks 5 protocol.

Anyways, this seems to be the only place in this area engaging in this nonsense so I will probably move.

A SOCKS5 protocol is a proxy that you use to get through almost any firewall unless your apartment building is using "spy level" blocks.

As "astral" knowledgeably posted above, a "seedbox" would definitely be a good way to go if you are a serious torrent down loader.

But, if you are purely trying to do this because of the "principal" of it all, then you should stay at your apartment and use a proxy to tie up all the bandwidth and piss them off. Of course you will piss other people off too, and it is kind of a dick move to do.

I think the best answer, and certainly the easiest. is to go to MBK and buy the CD's for a 100 Baht a pop (or get 6 for 500 Baht).

Problem Solved :-)

Assuming decent, reliable internet connectivity is a top requirement, it is always best to sort out the internet issues before moving into a place.

Having your own, dedicated fixed-line broadband connection is really the best/ideal option.

Relying on almost any kind of WiFi may be a an exercise in futility.

A seedbox may be OK, but then you'll be consuming all the bandwidth when you FTP. Obviously if your WiFi is a shared resource this may, or may not, be "acceptable"?

On some customer installs we reset the WiFI IP addresses frequently to "confound" greedy users; we also lock them out if their activity is excessive.

Edited by lomatopo

It is quite unlikely MBK would have the latest episode of the crowdfunded Startrek Continues or even an old Fellini movie.

Plenty of stuff that is easier to get by torrent. smile.png

Edited by astral
Removal of long quote - Please use Reply button a the bottom

Assuming decent, reliable internet connectivity is a top requirement, it is always best to sort out the internet issues before moving into a place.

Having your own, dedicated fixed-line broadband connection is really the best/ideal option.

Relying on almost any kind of WiFi may be a an exercise in futility.

A seedbox may be OK, but then you'll be consuming all the bandwidth when you FTP. Obviously if your WiFi is a shared resource this may, or may not, be "acceptable"?

On some customer installs we reset the WiFI IP addresses frequently to "confound" greedy users; we also lock them out if their activity is excessive.

When I moved here 4 years ago there was no problem using torrent.

Then something went wrong with the speeds. They slowed to a trickle and I doubt it was due to massive torrenting. Skype may be partly responsible as well as the increase in web based phone and tablet use.

A few weeks ago True was contracted, after several bids, to fix the problem.

The "fix" was to close torrent channels and go to a web based access system. Got it now? Yes it is faster now (but barely fast enough for Skype).