Viber Blocking by DTAC

rosst

Hi, what is the situation regarding Viber blocking in Thailand?? DTAC whose internet service in the sticks where I am is woeful have started blocking Viber on my phone. PS after blocking, I need to restart the phone for a return of internet service, bastards!!!

Peeved about that.

The only reason I stayed with them is because they will keep your number active for 12 months for a fee which means I do not need a new number every year.

Anybody got any suggestions about which operator will keep my number active for 12 months and not block my viber???

PS I am in Nong Khai near Phon Phisai in case that makes a difference.

Thank you

Edited by rosst

Hi, what is the situation regarding Viber blocking in Thailand?? DTAC whose internet service in the sticks where I am is woeful have started blocking Viber on my phone. PS after blocking, I need to restart the phone for a return of internet service, bastards!!!

Peeved about that.

The only reason I stayed with them is because they will keep your number active for 12 months for a fee which means I do not need a new number every year.

Anybody got any suggestions about which operator will keep my number active for 12 months and not block my viber???

PS I am in Nong Khai near Phon Phisai in case that makes a difference.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am on DTAC, and know many, many others on DTAC. Viber works fine.

Can you share any details re: your "blockage"? There may be some minimum bandwidth required for a Viber VoIP call, typically this might run to 200 Kbps (100 Kbps in each direction for G.711 + overhead), and you may not be getting this bandwidth with DTAC if you are on 2G, or have hit any sort of 64 - 128 Kbps cap. VoIP calling over 2G/3G may ultimately be more expensive than say a calling card (free local access, 1 baht/min).

TrueMove H may be a better option as they have 850 MHz/3G via CAT nearly everywhere in Thailand.

You can accumulate up to 365 days validity now with TrueMove H, basically each top-up of as little as 10 baht adds 30 days days, so 120 baht gives you 360 days.

You can port out of DTAC and into TrueMove H.

• Like 1

I am on DTAC, and know many, many others on DTAC. Viber works fine.

Can you share any details re: your "blockage"? There may be some minimum bandwidth required for a Viber VoIP call, typically this might run to 200 Kbps (100 Kbps in each direction for G.711 + overhead), and you may not be getting this bandwidth with DTAC if you are on 2G, or have hit any sort of 64 - 128 Kbps cap. VoIP calling over 2G/3G may ultimately be more expensive than say a calling card (free local access, 1 baht/min).

TrueMove H may be a better option as they have 850 MHz/3G via CAT nearly everywhere in Thailand.

You can accumulate up to 365 days validity now with TrueMove H, basically each top-up of as little as 10 baht adds 30 days days, so 120 baht gives you 360 days.

You can port out of DTAC and into TrueMove H.

OK, thanks for that info, the Viber blocking is on incoming and outgoing and it was previously working fine. As I stated, the bandwidth is marginal where I am, but that is OK, but the active blocking of Viber is annoying.

I have just tried to use it again now and it is working so you are probably right, it is the poor internet and data that is causing the problem. Thanks for your help.

The sign was on viber and said " Viber is being actively blocked"

The sign was on viber and said " Viber is being actively blocked"

Sounds like a Viber issue? Or a problem with your phone? Maybe review the Viber forums, or forums for your phone.

If you think it is a DTAC issue then contact them - I know people think operators want to block VoIP but in all honesty they do not. They prefer you pay more for data as they get all that revenue, whereas if you call using a calling card or make international calls, they get very little revenue,

I think you need, at a minimum a 3G connection. Can you confirm that you have a 3G connection, have subscribed to a 3G data plan, are not currently capped?

I suspect you may not have the requisite bandwidth and thus are "blocked".

Edited by lomatopo