Fire rages again at Phraekasa refill

webfact

Fire rages again at Phraekasa refill

Bkp7snZCQAAovQW-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Fire breaks out again at the Phraekasa refill in Samut Prakarn before dawn Tuesday and is still raging, forcing nearby residents to evacuate due to the thick smokes blanketing the vicinity.

Fire at the refill was put out mid last month but it started again from underground burning which was not completely put out.

Residents living about 200 metres from the refill reported strong smoke smelling from the refill at about 4.00 a.m. and immediately alerted the Phraekasa local adminstration office.

Ten fire engines were rushed to the scene and they could only spray water to keep it from spreading as the fire started in the middle of the vast garbage dumping area which fire engines could not reach.

The huge flame sent black and white smokes to blanket the vicinity and is still uncontrollable.
Local authorities are coordinating the Ministry of the Natural Resources to send helicopter to help fight the fire again.

(photo : twitter @nuttapong_Rw )

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fire-rages-phraekasa-refill/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-08

Jeez Guys, don’t u ever learn! Do u really think that pouring water over a chemically activated fire in a dump is going to solve the problem? All it does is cools the top layer of the dump, the bottom layer is still burning and as soon as the water is evaporated by the heat, the cycle starts all over again. Excavate the dump and mix the bottom layer with soil and then compact the mess. Jeez guys where is your logic?

At the time of the initial conflagration there were some comments, official/semi-official, that fires of this type can burn for weeks, months and longer.

The other alternative is to drill holes to the bottom of the dump and freeze the ground with nitrogen which in turn will cool down the hot areas enough to be able to extinguish the fires.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They gave it 1 week for people to forget about it.

That's the Thai quick fix , I think Luk Mhee was sort of looking to a long term solution, I know , they R few and far between.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At the time of the initial conflagration there were some comments, official/semi-official, that fires of this type can burn for weeks, months and longer.

The other alternative is to drill holes to the bottom of the dump and freeze the ground with nitrogen which in turn will cool down the hot areas enough to be able to extinguish the fires.

Will U stop this scientific approach , I'm still wondering what shirt to wear for Songkran.

• Like 1

Fire at Praek-kasa landfill erupts again

SAMUT PRAKAN, 8 April 2014 (NNT) - The fire at a Samut Prakan landfill in Soi Praek-kasa 8 has erupted again. As of now, officials have not yet been able to contain the flame.

At 4:30 am this morning, the fire at the Samut Prakan Praek-kasa landfill has erupted again. Smoke billowed to nearby areas and spread further into the landfill. Firefighters have called on six fire trucks to spray water onto the burning flames to control the situation.

So far, the flames are still spreading, as the fire originates from the middle of the garbage pit with a considerable amount of water surrounding the area. Officials are still attempting to push through in order to extinguish the flames.

The blaze reported this time around started in an old garbage pit - a different location compared to the one that erupted this past March 16.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-08 footer_n.gif

TOXIC SMOKE
Fire breaks out again at Samut Prakan's Praksa landfill

The Nation

30231154-01_big.jpg?1397000021953

BANGKOK: -- ANOTHER FIRE broke out at Samut Prakan's Praksa landfill early yesterday, forcing residents to brace for further evacuations. As of 6pm, people in Bang Na could see a haze and smell the smoke.

The landfill made headlines last month after a fire burned there for a week, forcing thousands of residents to flee noxious fumes that blanketed several districts of eastern Bangkok. The cause of that fire is still under investigation.

Residents yesterday urged authorities to put out the latest fire quickly to prevent the spread of harmful gases.

As local fire-fighters tried to put out the fire, which started at 4am, Bangkok Metropolitan Adminis-tration Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office director Pol Colonel Pichai Kriangwattanasiri said if the situation did not improve later yesterday, the city would dispatch fire-fighters and water trucks there without waiting for a request.

Resident Namkhang Budsarat, 53, said locals' fears that last month's fire had never been properly extinguished were confirmed yesterday. "Who will be responsible for the fire? I don't want money from anyone; all I want is safety for my life and property. I want the authorities to put out the fire so we can sleep worry-free," she added.

Residents Suchat Nakkanok, 47, and Thanin Pimsorn, 53, expressed worries that toxic fumes would spread, and said many residents were packing their belongings to evacuate, if necessary. Another resident, Kanthiya Marlo, 35, said the fire in March prompted her to take her pet dogs to a veterinary hospital, where she spent thousands of baht because the pets were sensitive to toxic fumes.

Bang Pu Police Station superintendent Pol Colonel Wichit Boonchinwutthikul said two landfill tenants had been interviewed in connection to the fire, adding that so far no state agency had filed a police complaint. The police probe into an infant's hospitalisation, which has been blamed on the fumes, was pending a doctor's confirmation, he said, adding the probe should be concluded by the end of this month.

As for yesterday's fire, police would summon the landfill owner and tenants for questioning on the site's fire-prevention provisions and other issues.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-09

In 1962 in Pennsylvania, USA the local fire department did a controlled burn of a dump and to this day the fire is still burning. It got into an underground coal mine.

One in Australia has been going longer.

The underground fire is estimated to be at a depth of around 30 m (98 ft).[5] The scientific estimate is that the fire has burned for approximately 6,000 years and is the oldest known coal fire.[6]

European explorers and settlers to the area believed the smoke, coming from the ground, was volcanic in origin.[5] It was not until 1829 that geologist C.P.N. Wilton identified it as a coal seam fire.[5]

The fire is generally moving in a southerly direction at a rate of about 1 m (3 ft) per year. The combustion has caused soil discolouration and an uneven ground surface in the area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Mountain

• Like 1

I don't think we can compare this to burning mountain which i have visited as that is a fairway underground,however by the look of the photos the garbage could be metre's deep,so it will need an awful lot of water to put out,i think it could smoulder for years,until the fuel supply is exhausted,maybe another option would be to try to finish it quickly by progressivley burning the area completley,until nothing remains.

In 1962 in Pennsylvania, USA the local fire department did a controlled burn of a dump and to this day the fire is still burning. It got into an underground coal mine.

i thought of that myself when this fire was raging, and told everyone to expect this.