US expresses concern over Thai political situation and power seizure

webfact

In the current world of hypocritical politics they, in the benign spirit of political correctness could say little else. The US has strategic interests in Thailand and that is their major concern. They will go with the flow whatever happens as that is the nature of politics today.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the US didn't interfere in the political situation in Thailand ?

I think that this proves that what a lot of posters have been saying is wrong.

It seems that the American government can be duped as easily as Isaan people and shows that they most definitely DO NOT have their finger on the pulse as to what is happening in Thailand.

What is this idiot really doing to earn his money when he knows NOTHING about the situation in Thailand!!!

If he takes these lying toads words as gospel he is a prat!!

Now the Americans are as stupid as Issan people?

Tell me, does that mean that Americans are also too stupid to vote and therefore America should abandon democracy as Suthep followers believe Thailand should?

The reality is the American diplomats know exactly what's going on and it's you that is lacking a finger on the pulse.

They have the most advanced and expensive government apparatuses that the world has ever known on their side.

All you have is your prejudices and bigotry.

The problem for the wilfully ignorant is that no matter how hard they try they can't stop reality from intruding into their little fairy lands.

Looks like there will be no coups of any kind in the land of the Thais forever more.

God bless America.

• Like 1

In the current world of hypocritical politics they, in the benign spirit of political correctness could say little else. The US has strategic interests in Thailand and that is their major concern. They will go with the flow whatever happens as that is the nature of politics today.

How about the US is basically a good nation that sides with good no matter where it is found in the world and opposes evil whenever it threatens the good.

Suthep is an evil the US won't abide, so they are stepping up to the plate to knock him out of the park.

The world needs people like you. Intelligent people can have a fun debate with you due to your ridiculous views, which is great practice for the real discussions to come that need serious thought.

Well, who would dare argue with you. Obviously, you're a man who reads . . . newspapers.

Yes, sometimes. What's the point you're making?

My point is that your views are so ridiculous that it's not worth debating with you,, just in case you missed it.

• Like 1

I think that this proves that what a lot of posters have been saying is wrong.

It seems that the American government can be duped as easily as Isaan people and shows that they most definitely DO NOT have their finger on the pulse as to what is happening in Thailand.

What is this idiot really doing to earn his money when he knows NOTHING about the situation in Thailand!!!

If he takes these lying toads words as gospel he is a prat!!

Now the Americans are as stupid as Issan people?

Tell me, does that mean that Americans are also too stupid to vote and therefore America should abandon democracy as Suthep followers believe Thailand should?

The reality is the American diplomats know exactly what's going on and it's you that is lacking a finger on the pulse.

They have the most advanced and expensive government apparatuses that the world has ever known on their side.

All you have is your prejudices and bigotry.

The problem for the wilfully ignorant is that no matter how hard they try they can't stop reality from intruding into their little fairy lands.

Looks like there will be no coups of any kind in the land of the Thais forever more.

God bless America.

Since when is the US government the American people?

Surely you would agree that American diplomacy and foreign policy leaves more than a little to be desired.

The only reason that so much fun is poked at you is because you make so many cock-ups and mistakes and do so many ridiculous things that you ask for it!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

A warning from the US to Thaksin not to get his red army involved.

And to PT and Yingluck to accept the ruling of the courts and not to try to hang on to power at any cost.

I wonder if the letter actually mentioned coup or is this just a bit Surapong added on ?

The US know the army aren't going to give Thaksin the military coup he has been trying for.

They also know that the judicial coup is just the law being applied as it should.

And I am sure they will see the latest 'modern coup' as the BS that it is.

If the letter mentioned that, then it would have been circulated in image format.

That would have been something Surapong and the PTP would be salivating at and would more than happily show the public a scan of the letter.

Of course, we will never be allowed to see the actual latter.

Because it probably doesn't even say that.

Come on Surapong.... Get it out.... we all want to see the letter.

I am sure it will be leaked out, or maybe he burnt it to make sure it can't be.

I got the same letter from the Readers Digest also saying I had won 1 million dollars.Couldn't believe my luck.

And to PT and Yingluck to accept the ruling of the courts and not to try to hang on to power at any cost.

I wonder if the letter actually mentioned coup or is this just a bit Surapong added on ?

The US know the army aren't going to give Thaksin the military coup he has been trying for.

They also know that the judicial coup is just the law being applied as it should.

If the letter mentioned that, then it would have been circulated in image format.

That would have been something Surapong and the PTP would be salivating at and would more than happily show the public a scan of the letter.

Of course, we will never be allowed to see the actual latter.

Because it probably doesn't even say that.

Come on Surapong.... Get it out.... we all want to see the letter.

I am sure it will be leaked out, or maybe he burnt it to make sure it can't be.

I got the same letter from the Readers Digest also saying I had won 1 million dollars.Couldn't believe my luck.

Hi bulekee - yes I won 1 million as well, still waiting for it though!!

BANGKOK, 9 April 2014 (NNT) – The United States has handed a letter to the Thai government expressing grave concern over the political situation and the possibility of a power grab.

US Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel R. Russel and US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney attended a meeting with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at the Ministry of Defense on Tuesday.

Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said after attending the meeting that the US delegation handed a letter from US Secretary of State John Kerry, which expressed concern over the political situation in Thailand, to Ms. Yingluck.

Mr. Surapong added that the US was especially against a military coup or seizure of power. The US was also worried over the effects the problems in Thailand would have on ASEAN as a whole, as Thailand was unable to initiate any new policies in the multilateral arena due to the caretaker status of the government.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-04-09 footer_n.gif

Given situations in Asia, Thailand is of strategic interest. Stability is important, and the tough part for the US and allies is siding with the winning side. China sits idly by watching.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The US hasn't had a very good record of siding with any side, in the World...It supported dictators like Marcos (Phillipines) and ruthless ones in South America in the past, along with the murderous (several) leaders in South Vietnam, during the Vietnam war. Who cares what the US thinks. It's an Empire that is on the verge of collapsing wai2.gif

I do not believe that either Thailand or The USA are on the verge of collapsing. Civilizations and governments are, now and in the past, in a constant process of change in order to adjust to the needs of the people and the power brokers. $h@t happens and sometimes it is good.

• Like 1

Agree

I to am concerned about an armed coup but it is not the army I see attempting it. From the rhetoric Thaksin's man on the spot has been uttering and issuing through his assistances I see it being another Thaksin backed armed attempt at as an armed coup. They have publically admitted they are gathering arms and I see by todays Bangkok Post they are training their followers in hand to hand combat. Probabbly going to tell them they are now trained just as good as the Navy Seals so they can feel combat ready.cheesy.gif

edit

I wonder if it is Kerry just telling the government that they are on thin ice with there armed militia mouthing off like they are doing. got nothing to do with the anti Government protestors.thumbsup.gif

Edited by northernjohn

The world needs people like you. Intelligent people can have a fun debate with you due to your ridiculous views, which is great practice for the real discussions to come that need serious thought.

Well, who would dare argue with you. Obviously, you're a man who reads . . . newspapers.

My point is that your views are so ridiculous that it's not worth debating with you,, just in case you missed it.

Originality

Absent

From this

Agree

I to am concerned about an armed coup but it is not the army I see attempting it. From the rhetoric Thaksin's man on the spot has been uttering and issuing through his assistances I see it being another Thaksin backed armed attempt at as an armed coup. They have publically admitted they are gathering arms and I see by todays Bangkok Post they are training their followers in hand to hand combat. Probabbly going to tell them they are now trained just as good as the Navy Seals so they can feel combat ready.cheesy.gif

edit

I wonder if it is Kerry just telling the government that they are on thin ice with there armed militia mouthing off like they are doing. got nothing to do with the anti Government protestors.thumbsup.gif

Nope. You are wondering wrong.

The comments are clearly directed at those that are opposed to democracy and are preventing elections from taking place.

• Like 1

Surely you would agree that American diplomacy and foreign policy leaves more than a little to be desired.

The only reason that so much fun is poked at you is because you make so many cock-ups and mistakes and do so many ridiculous things that you ask for it!!!

Exactly.

So who then are you referring to when you say so much fun is poked at "you" because "you" make so many cockups....... that "you" ask for it?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

BANGKOK, 9 April 2014 (NNT) – The United States has handed a letter to the Thai government expressing grave concern over the political situation and the possibility of a power grab.

US Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel R. Russel and US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney attended a meeting with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at the Ministry of Defense on Tuesday.

Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said after attending the meeting that the US delegation handed a letter from US Secretary of State John Kerry, which expressed concern over the political situation in Thailand, to Ms. Yingluck.

Mr. Surapong added that the US was especially against a military coup or seizure of power. The US was also worried over the effects the problems in Thailand would have on ASEAN as a whole, as Thailand was unable to initiate any new policies in the multilateral arena due to the caretaker status of the government.

nntlogo.jpg

Given situations in Asia, Thailand is of strategic interest. Stability is important, and the tough part for the US and allies is siding with the winning side. China sits idly by watching.

The US hasn't had a very good record of siding with any side, in the World...It supported dictators like Marcos (Phillipines) and ruthless ones in South America in the past, along with the murderous (several) leaders in South Vietnam, during the Vietnam war. Who cares what the US thinks. It's an Empire that is on the verge of collapsing wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

The US did a pretty good job siding with the Allies to get rid of the Third Reich!!!!

But the Germans have now reigned it's colonies back in. It's back on course for German European unification. The war was never over, tactics just changed, faces changed, the plan didn't.

nntlogo.jpg

The US hasn't had a very good record of siding with any side, in the World...It supported dictators like Marcos (Phillipines) and ruthless ones in South America in the past, along with the murderous (several) leaders in South Vietnam, during the Vietnam war. Who cares what the US thinks. It's an Empire that is on the verge of collapsing wai2.gif

The US did a pretty good job siding with the Allies to get rid of the Third Reich!!!!

Yep they certainly did at great finacial cost to the allies.I think I read that the UK war debt was finally paid of a couple of years ago.Still better late than never.Hoorah for the red white and blue.

Exactly.

So who then are you referring to when you say so much fun is poked at "you" because "you" make so many cockups....... that "you" ask for it?

The US government, which draws the fun-poking at the American people as a whole.

It does't look like they are interfering. They haven't made any demands or even recommendations, just expressed their concern that the situation looks worrying.

Don't forget that the US is still by far the Worlds largest economy (despite what China may have you believe) and they have some responsibility to participate in International trade, this means they should express concerns, as should all leading economies.

They are doing the right thing in my opinion.

The bigger they are the harder they fall.

Yep ... 2 years after every other country stepped up to the plate ... I believe you were late to the 1914-1918 stoush too (but I'm willing to be corrected on that).

Doing better in later years though.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pretty much spot on,Johnny come latelies.

Yep ... 2 years after every other country stepped up to the plate ... I believe you were late to the 1914-1918 stoush too (but I'm willing to be corrected on that).

Doing better in later years though.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unfortunately, we went in on the wrong side during World War I. Would have been best to not go in at all. Just let all those empires fight themselves. But if forced, I would choose the German kaiser over the Russian tsar and Austro-Hungarians over the British. And just about anyone over the French.

Yeh got that wrong boy,ya wanna google your avatar.Makes interesting reading.I love dueling banjo,s.The guy playing it in Deliverance isn't a relative by any chance.

John Kerry's letter is bound to be in diplomatic speak. Whether Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul fully appreciates the nuances or not is another matter, but here he is simply spinning the situation to LOOK like PTP has US backing.

It's as simple as that.

"John Kerry's letter is bound to be in diplomatic speak"

Diplomatic speak ? What are you on ?

Originality

Absent

From this

And now you're just making me laugh. I will leave you in your own world.

Is the US just trying to enforce the Troppau Protocol of 1824

http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/history/1848/revolution_of_1848.html

In the wake of a liberal and constitutionalist revolt in Naples a Congess of Troppau of 1820 recognised "Members of the European Alliance" (i.e. The post Napoleonic Wars European Alliance of conservative / reactionary Monarchies / Empires) as having a "right of intervention" in the political affairs of states where revolutionary activity was deemed to have become threatening to other states.
The main pronouncement of the "Troppau Protocol" is as follows:-

"States, which have undergone a change of government due to revolution, the result of which threaten other states, ipso facto cease to be members of the European Alliance, and remain excluded from it until their situation gives guarantees for legal order and stability. If, owing to such alterations, immediate danger threatens other states the powers bind themselves, by peaceful means, or if need be, by arms, to bring back the guilty state into the bosom of the Great Alliance."

Try to remember that the US is effectively an Anglo Saxon colony, the system running it is no different to the origin.

Exactly.

The US government, which draws the fun-poking at the American people as a whole.

Thanks. Now I know the rules for future reference.

How about the US is basically a good nation that sides with good no matter where it is found in the world and opposes evil whenever it threatens the good.

Suthep is an evil the US won't abide, so they are stepping up to the plate to knock him out of the park.

Perhaps the US govt has personal interest with one side in Thailand, and that side does not happen to be the one that Suthep is on. Problem is that sometimes the US (and other governments) support 'bad' sides, like the US did when they supported, for example, Saddam Hussein, Pinochet, Charles Taylor and the Brazilian Military Government of '64 - '85, none of which fit in very well with your 'sides with the good' assertion, in hindsight.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

When the US uses the phrase "power seizure" what they are talking about is the impending 'judicial coup', particularly the one in which the Constitution Court (which is comprised of judges that were appointed by the 2006 coup) removes not just Yingluck, but the entire cabnet, a PM is then appointed by the half appointed Senate..or something to that effect.. this will basically be a continuation of the previous coup.. a coup that installed biased judges then created a new constitution that gives them absolute power.

If Yingluck is removed then the next PM must be a another MP, if it isn't then there will be a case of 'legal gymnastics' a phrase used by bangkok Pindit @ http://asiancorrespondent.com/

• Like 1

Perhaps the US govt has personal interest with one side in Thailand, and that side does not happen to be the one that Suthep is on. Problem is that sometimes the US (and other governments) support 'bad' sides, like the US did when they supported, for example, Saddam Hussein, Pinochet, Charles Taylor and the Brazilian Military Government of '64 - '85, none of which fit in very well with your 'sides with the good' assertion, in hindsight.

Can you give us any examples from this century?

The US has improved itself an awful lot now that the cold war is over and we are in the information age.