Making a border run to Cambodia. Do I need a visa?

One problem I see with your intended itinerary is that the airline will probably want to see a flight ticket out of Thailand before letting you board the aircraft back to Thailand. The flight out will have to be dated within the 30 day visa exempt period that you will receive at Bangkok. The reason being is that you will be entering Thailand without a visa and this necessitates an exit flight ticket by immigration law. Go overland is the best advise you will receive.

Nothing gets past you does it???

Hua Hin, has to be the Andaman in Ranong.. worth the extra few hundred Baht for an easy day out. Not sure if any travel companies do a package. You can drive which is about 5 hours each way or cheapies can get a bus to Chumphon and then onward but a probable nights stay required if by bus.

You can get a visa on arrival ($20) in PP. The tourist visa issuing period is known to vary from next day to 3 days for a single / multiple entry 60 day tourist visa.

If it's only a border run as you mention, why not go over land, and back the same day (depending on what type of visa you are after)?

My understanding is the OP would need a prearranged Cambodia visa from the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok, if traveling overland. That would mean going to two Embassies, instead of one.

Also, the roads are dangerous in Thailand, but far more dangerous in Cambodia.

Flights on AirAsia are cheap enough and you get there quickly.

I would recommend flying.

Sorry, incorrect. A pre-arranged visa is not required for over land or flights to Cambodia. I have done both in the last 6 months (and many times over the years) and I'm in PP now (arrived yesterday) and returning on Saturday.

I mentioned overland because the OP said border run, this implies something different to staying a few days in Cambodia to obtain a certain type of visa.

I accept what you say. It's been a long time since I went overland to Cambodia, but I flew in and out late last year.

When the OP said, "I am flying to Phnom Penh" I gathered he had already bought his tickets, and it was a visa run, not a boarder run.

I see more information was supplied, later in the thread, which indicates it may be beneficial for the OP to overland.

As a side note, I believe you can now apply online for a Cambodian visa, so save time at the airport, but I didn't bother with it.

You can get a visa on arrival ($20) in PP. The tourist visa issuing period is known to vary from next day to 3 days for a single / multiple entry 60 day tourist visa.

If it's only a border run as you mention, why not go over land, and back the same day (depending on what type of visa you are after)?

My understanding is the OP would need a prearranged Cambodia visa from the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok, if traveling overland. That would mean going to two Embassies, instead of one.

Also, the roads are dangerous in Thailand, but far more dangerous in Cambodia.

Flights on AirAsia are cheap enough and you get there quickly.

I would recommend flying.

Sorry, incorrect. A pre-arranged visa is not required for over land or flights to Cambodia. I have done both in the last 6 months (and many times over the years) and I'm in PP now (arrived yesterday) and returning on Saturday.

I mentioned overland because the OP said border run, this implies something different to staying a few days in Cambodia to obtain a certain type of visa.

I accept what you say. It's been a long time since I went overland to Cambodia, but I flew in and out late last year.

When the OP said, "I am flying to Phnom Penh" I gathered he had already bought his tickets, and it was a visa run, not a boarder run.

I see more information was supplied, later in the thread, which indicates it may be beneficial for the OP to overland.

As a side note, I believe you can now apply online for a Cambodian visa, so save time at the airport, but I didn't bother with it. [/quote

I think you're correct regarding the online Cambodian visa, I didn't bother with it either, it only took 5 mins at the airport (although I might have been able to save some room in my passport by doing it online)

Woody1

"multiple entry 60 day tourist visa." ?

Only available from Cambodia or a complete nonsense ?

There is no such thing as a " multiple entry 60 day tourist visa."

​If one is not in possession of fact then it is better not to offer bad advice which may lead to confusion and disappointment .

Edited by thepool

Woody1

​If one is not in possession of fact then it is better not to offer bad advice which may lead to confusion and disappointment .

This is why I said, "PM me" earlier.

All (single entry) tourist visas (presuming UK, US, AUS, etc, passport holders) will be issued overseas (not in Thailand) and valid for 60 days upon arrival in the Kingdom. This visa, based on the above, can be extended at your local immigration office by 30 days. Meaning on a single entry 60 day tourist visa, you can stay in Thailand for 90 days following one extension (1900 Baht).

Now, multiply the above by 2 or 3, whichever is applicable, and you should have your answer.

You can return to Thailand as soon as you have your Thai visa, if you are not red stamped.

Cambodia is visa on arrival, if you fly in. You must have some US Dollars on arrival. A 1 month single entry Cambodia visa is $20US, on arrival.

Once you pass immigration and customs, near the exit door of the airport, you will see a taxi booth. Get a taxi voucher from the booth. It's about $8US to Riverside.

Riverside is where you want to stay. Plenty of accommodation at varying standards and prices, travel agents and bars and restaurants overlooking the water.

You can then get a tuktuk or mototaxi to the Thai Embassy and apply yourself, or get a travel agent to apply for you and pick up your passport the next day.

Phnom Penh is small, but it has a few things to see. Mostly of is recent painful history, under the Khumer Rouge. If you decide to stay longer, Siem Reap has UNESCO World Heritage Angkor Wat and the beach area in Cambodia is Sihanoukville.

Phnom Penh is an easy visa run. You shouldn't have any trouble.

If you are going to live in Thailand on tourist visas, a word of advice is to pick a country that just gives you a stamp in your passport instead of a full page visa, like Cambodia, or you will be using a lot of pages in your passport.

Good luck.

It is possible to obtain eVisas for Cambodia - it costs 5USD more but they do NOT fill a page in your passport, just an entry and exit stamp the same as Thailand

It also saves time at the airport on arrival which I see as worth it if the arrival area is crowded - look here http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/

I've had 2 of them so far with no problems. smile.png

Edited by VBF

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Woody1

This is why I said, "PM me" earlier.
All (single entry) tourist visas (presuming UK, US, AUS, etc, passport holders) will be issued overseas (not in Thailand) and valid for 60 days upon arrival in the Kingdom. This visa, based on the above, can be extended at your local immigration office by 30 days. Meaning on a single entry 60 day tourist visa, you can stay in Thailand for 90 days following one extension (1900 Baht).
Now, multiply the above by 2 or 3, whichever is applicable, and you should have your answer.

So why seek to complicate and mystify a simple issue ?

Multiple Entry Tourist visas can not be obtained anywhere .

Tourist visas can only be obtained for one, two or three entries NOT multiple as in many unrestricted entries.

Cambodia I believe will only issue single entry Tourist Visas and If a triple entry visa is required the nearest Consulate that may grant such a visa is in Bali.

No need for Pm's to deal with simple issues

I would hold off on buying an onward ticket. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't. I bought one and did not need it, the airline just ask me "When are you leaving Thailand?" I gave them a date 29 days away. I asked if they needed to see ticket from BKK to PP as I was digging through folder to get ticket, they said no need to show it. If they want one, just buy a air asia ticket on your phone in the airport.

to the OP :

i found a lot of very confusing, contradictionary information given to you in this thread.

First off, I have to object strongly, most of the people who replied to your post are downright ignoring what you said about your initial plan.

You say that upon coming back from the visa run, you will transfer the 800,000 to a thai bank and then start up with the "retirement visa" process.

So, you should have asked for the best option on how to proceed your plan to get a retirement status in Thailand, instead of your question on how Thailand immigration forwards you when coming back from Cambodia. Because altogether, very irrelevant.

In order to transfer an existing visa - while you are inside Thailand already - to a Non-Imm O visa, which is required to start an application for a "1 year extension of stay for retirement purposes" , the 800,000 THB must have been in the account for two months on the day when the application is handed over (on first application. All future extensions require a 3 month ripening)

I must admit that i am not sure if you can transfer a "30 day visa exempt entry" to a Non Imm O . . . . .i think it can only be done with a tourist visa. Proove me wrong here, if you know better. In case you cannot transfer a 30 day visa exempt into a Non Imm O, you would have to fly back to the USA in order to receive this type of visa from an US based thai consulate or the embassy.

So in fact, your planned one time visa run to Phnom Penh and the subsequent 30 day visa on arrival back in Thailand won't give you the time needed to do the conversion for retirement. Because the money must be in the account for two months. Means, you will have to do at least TWO MORE 30-day visa runs of this like . . . .wasted time and money.

There are better options to get you underway :

You should fly or drive overland to Phnom Penh, Vientiane or Kuala Lumpur, or by land to Savannakhet, there are Thai Consulates which offer a 60-day tourist visa single (some do double ) entry, which you are able to extend for 30 more days in any Thai Immigration office. And which are convertible into a Non-Imm O visa, the only visa type onto which you can base your application for stay on retirement purposes.

To meet the time frame needed for this procedure, you should consider doing the tourist visa instead of doing any simple border run, because this will result into the need to do two more such border runs , with the risk of getting refused on the fourth run (counting the one you already have plus two more = 3 !!)

When you post a question, you should consider giving us ALL information that MIGHT be relevant to a specific topic. Not saying first hand that you plan the retirement way, and that the money is not in the Thai bank yet, is a big bold black hole !!

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

To the OP you just need leave the country to leave the country and return to get a new entry. You can do it by land or air. You don't need to out of country for more than minute if possible.

The closest crossing to Hua Hin is the one mentioned in this topic. New Kanchanaburi border crossing open?

I suspect the border run companies in Hua Hin are not doing runs there yet.

• Like 1

in reality the easiest way is fly to any nearby country ( Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia) and get a non immigrant visa based on being over 50 and seeking retirement, nothing needs to be shown but ur passport. stating your over 50.

come back in and near the end , ( ur money will have seasoned) u apply for the 1 year extension.

Not all immigrations in Thailand will convert a visa exempt stamp or even tourist visa to a non immigrant ( cost ya 2,000 baht if they do) so better check first. where you intend to apply for your extension.

Online visa saves a page an cost $28 not $25 ( $3 cc fee) http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/ don't use the other links u see advertsied as thety charge more

ONLY laos offers a double entry tourist visa

Bali offers a triple,

all others will ONLY give you a single entry

Immigration Offices throughout the Kingdom differ in their appraisal of Thai Law. I can only advise that the Rayong Office at Mapthaput in particular do transfer a 30 day visa exempt entry to a non imm. O, allowing a stay of 3 months before having to report back to them when they will issue a one year extension on the basis of retirement. Proof of income of 65000Baht per month by way of a letter from your Embassy, or 800000Baht in a Thai bank for a period of 2 months min. is required. They will keep the original Embassy letter at the transfer stage but will stamp and sign a photocopy of same to use for the first extension. From this I deduce that the law allows the transfer to be carried out but Immigration Offices are a law unto themselves.

OP is in Hua Hin an the immigration office there does the conversion.

As said not all offices can do them. Up here in the north east I don't there is a single office that does them. They tell you to go to Laos for a non-o or Bangkok to do a conversion.

You can return to Thailand as soon as you have your Thai visa, if you are not red stamped.

Cambodia is visa on arrival, if you fly in. You must have some US Dollars on arrival. A 1 month single entry Cambodia visa is $20US, on arrival.

Once you pass immigration and customs, near the exit door of the airport, you will see a taxi booth. Get a taxi voucher from the booth. It's about $8US to Riverside.

Riverside is where you want to stay. Plenty of accommodation at varying standards and prices, travel agents and bars and restaurants overlooking the water.

You can then get a tuktuk or mototaxi to the Thai Embassy and apply yourself, or get a travel agent to apply for you and pick up your passport the next day.

Phnom Penh is small, but it has a few things to see. Mostly of is recent painful history, under the Khumer Rouge. If you decide to stay longer, Siem Reap has UNESCO World Heritage Angkor Wat and the beach area in Cambodia is Sihanoukville.

If you are going to live in Thailand on tourist visas, a word of advice is to pick a country that just gives you a stamp in your passport instead of a full page visa, like Cambodia, or you will be using a lot of pages in your passport.

Good luck.

It is possible to obtain eVisas for Cambodia - it costs 5USD more but they do NOT fill a page in your passport, just an entry and exit stamp the same as Thailand

It also saves time at the airport on arrival which I see as worth it if the arrival area is crowded - look here http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/

I've had 2 of them so far with no problems. smile.png

Yes. Please see post #33.

in reality the easiest way is fly to any nearby country ( Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia) and get a non immigrant visa based on being over 50 and seeking retirement, nothing needs to be shown but ur passport. stating your over 50.

come back in and near the end , ( ur money will have seasoned) u apply for the 1 year extension.

thanks phuketrichard, I was not aware that one can get a Non Imm O at said consulates in Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia. I always thought you can only get a Non Imm O in your home country.

this would be perfect for the OP. He can get a single entry Non Imm O in PP or a double entry Non Imm O in Vientiane. Bck in Thailand after 60 days , he does the extension for 30 more days. Soon after the money will have seasoned the required 2 months, and he can do the application for extension of stay based on retirement.

Edited by crazygreg44

thanks phuketrichard, I was not aware that one can get a Non Imm O at said consulates in Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia. I always thought you can only get a Non Imm O in your home country.

this would be perfect for the OP. He can get a single entry Non Imm O in PP or a double entry Non Imm O in Vientiane. Bck in Thailand after 60 days , he does the extension for 30 more days. Soon after the money will have seasoned the required 2 months, and he can do the application for extension of stay based on retirement.

There are no 2 entry non-o visas available. It will be a single entry that will give a 90 day entry. It is not possible to get a 30 day extension for a non-o visa. I think you are confusing tourist visas with non immigrant visas.

• Like 1

Good luck.

Try walking the breadth of Phnom Penh, as I did...and take this as truth...it is not small. The city center is a small area...but it stretches far out. For example, you could walk from IndoChine hotel to the Thai consulate...but its going to be quite a long walk. (Guess who did it?) The airport is extremely far from the town center....not at all recommended for a walk. Big place..actually.