Buying a condo in Chiang Mai

Beng

This has probably beeing discussed. However, I would be grateful for some advice of people who went through the buying process here in Chiang Mai.

I'm about to buy a condo here. According to the sales office of the builders (Karnkanok company), I have to go to the land office myself in order to have a chanot title issued in my name. Once the chanot has been issued, a blue ownweship book can be applied for at another office inside the old city. I was told by the lady at the sales office that getting the blue book is quite difficult and not necessary at all. Also. Ive heard of a yellow ownership book. My questions are:

1. Anyone has experience with Karnkanok ?

2. Where is the land office to get the chanot ?

3 .Is the blue book necessary ? What documents are needed ?

4. What is the difference between the blue and yellow book ?

Any infos on this matterare very much appreciated. Thanks

I just bought a condo, and I didn't get the yellow book (blue is for Thais). Seller is Thai, and said she never got blue from previous owner. She did state that she would help me if necessary, but I'm wondering the same thing. TMB told me no bank account without work permit, even though my longstay 0-A says employment prohibited. So I'll just stay with BKK Bank, who let me open an account with a tourist visa 8 years ago. Rules change like the wind....Immigration is the only place where the yellow might be needed, but no one has yet told me that it is needed for 90 day check in. I was also told by my building manager that she would help me get one, also.....I just like to avoid that kind of stuff when possible.

Land office is out on the Mai Rim road, but you go with the seller to make the condo purchase so they can show you.

You should get the blue book, but it is probably not essential. You need no extra documents, it just comes with the purchase. Personally I would insist on the seller getting a replacement for the lost book before buying a condo.

Blue book is for Thais only, yellow book for everyone else. You do not have to have one for any reason at all. You get the yellow book after buying the condo from the local municipality office and is a bit of a run around. Once you have one you do not need residence certificate from either immigration or your embassy. If you never get one you have to keep getting residence certificates.

Immigration do not need a yellow book.

As an extra - to buy a condo the seller must have the chanote, they must have a debt free letter, you must have your passport and proof that the funds come from outside Thailand and came for the purpose of buying a Condo. In addition you must have someone with you who you trust who is fluent in reading Thai to help you. Everything is in Thai.

• Like 1

Land office is out on the Mai Rim road, but you go with the seller to make the condo purchase so they can show you.

You should get the blue book, but it is probably not essential. You need no extra documents, it just comes with the purchase. Personally I would insist on the seller getting a replacement for the lost book before buying a condo.

Blue book is for Thais only, yellow book for everyone else. You do not have to have one for any reason at all. You get the yellow book after buying the condo from the local municipality office and is a bit of a run around. Once you have one you do not need residence certificate from either immigration or your embassy. If you never get one you have to keep getting residence certificates.

Immigration do not need a yellow book.

As an extra - to buy a condo the seller must have the chanote, they must have a debt free letter, you must have your passport and proof that the funds come from outside Thailand and came for the purpose of buying a Condo. In addition you must have someone with you who you trust who is fluent in reading Thai to help you. Everything is in Thai.

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

So I will not need the yellow book for my yearly extension of stay. Correct ??

As an extra - to buy a condo the seller must have the chanote, they must have a debt free letter, you must have your passport and proof that the funds come from outside Thailand and came for the purpose of buying a Condo.

Is that required? My funds would come from Thailand.

(Unless I move it out and then move it back.. Which seems a bit silly.)

You do not need a yellow book for an extension of stay.

But the funds must come from outside Thailand as you must have the bank form.

Someone recently said you can get the form by paying a fee and not moving the money but I'd not heard of that before.

Edit - think those on work permits might have some exception to this? I am not an expert!

Edited by briley

I just bought a condo, and I didn't get the yellow book (blue is for Thais). Seller is Thai, and said she never got blue from previous owner. She did state that she would help me if necessary, but I'm wondering the same thing. TMB told me no bank account without work permit, even though my longstay 0-A says employment prohibited. So I'll just stay with BKK Bank, who let me open an account with a tourist visa 8 years ago. Rules change like the wind....Immigration is the only place where the yellow might be needed, but no one has yet told me that it is needed for 90 day check in. I was also told by my building manager that she would help me get one, also.....I just like to avoid that kind of stuff when possible.

Kasikorn asked for my work permit also. I told them I don't work here why would I need a work permit. Change of tune. Get a Thai person to vouch for you and you'll get a bank account.

As an extra - to buy a condo the seller must have the chanote, they must have a debt free letter, you must have your passport and proof that the funds come from outside Thailand and came for the purpose of buying a Condo.

I do believe that requirement is only if you want to take the funds out of Thailand.

I paid a fee of 100 thb for the letter, but I actually did wire the money in.

I also negotiated into the deal that the seller would pay 100% of costs at the Amphur, but I'm sure that was made up for in purchase price, so it wasn't free, but there were no worries about surprises at the Land Office.

I do believe that requirement is only if you want to take the funds out of Thailand.

No. You need proof that the funds were brought into the country AND exchanged here. If the sume is over 20,000 dollars, you get a FET (foreign exchange transaction) form from your bank - if lower then a bank letter will be provided. You need to transfer the cash in foreign currency ( do not transfer baht, otherwise you will not get an fet without a lot of problems , if at all, then you wil have to transfer back and forth again and lose a lot on the xchnage rates). If you want tobtransfer the same amount out of thailand in the future then you will need the fet form to do it. Specify the name of the condo block and/or number of the condo when you trnasfer funds - thailand is almost unique in requiring a purpose of the funds so any foreign bank should ask you to state a reason if you have not given them one ( my bank calls this 'reference').

• Like 1

One bit of warning. Check monthly association fees. Are your neighbors paying them? I live in an older condo and would not buy because the absentee owners rarely pay monthly fees and the place is going to the dogs. Some months staff are not paid. My building is 600,000b in arrears. One of the more prominent condos in town, frequented by farang, mostly, is one million baht in arrears according to one staff member. No lights on during the day, etc. corner cutting to be able to pay staff. Buyer beware.

One bit of warning. Check monthly association fees. Are your neighbors paying them? I live in an older condo and would not buy because the absentee owners rarely pay monthly fees and the place is going to the dogs. Some months staff are not paid. My building is 600,000b in arrears. One of the more prominent condos in town, frequented by farang, mostly, is one million baht in arrears according to one staff member. No lights on during the day, etc. corner cutting to be able to pay staff. Buyer beware.

No kidding. I'm look at an ad right now on TV for a moo baan house for sale. They say "Monthly fee only 300 baht!"

For this, you get onsite mgmt, 24/7 security guard, community landscaping & pool. I'm thinking there's no way they can sustain that for 300 per house per month, so I suspect once all the homes are sold, all the amenities will vanish. I would totally examine the budget (past, present & future) to make sure they have a sustainable model before buying into a condo or moo baan.

#1 Beng

Members

OP questions are:

1. Anyone has experience with Karnkanok ? (YES) purchased a condo from them in 2009.

2. Where is the land office to get the chanot ? (Canal Road across and down the road from 700 year stadium)

3 .Is the blue book necessary ? (YES, and No) although it's used by Thais and not foreigners it is needed to get the Yellow book. You cannot get the Yellow Book without first providing/submitting the Blue book to the Amphur)

(The Amphur is located in old city area in the same direction you would find the Sunday night walking market) I don't know the address but it's not so far from where that Sunday night walking market is).

What documents are needed ? At a minimum, your Passport, bring your Chonot title document.

You should be able to get the Blue Book the same day. The Yellow book may require you to come back in 1 or 2 week after you apply.

The Yellow book saves time and money when preparing for immigration reporting. With the Yellow book you will be able to skip 1or 2 steps in the process for acquiring specific documents prior to reporting to immigration. Applying and waiting for the Yellow book is worth it but not a requirement so you do not have to get the Yellow book but it is recommended. You will be glad that you got it after you gave it. And Yes, your name will be in the book. And No, the previous owner ( if any) is not required to give you their Blue Book if you purchase a condo or house from them. It is their Blue Book. Sometimes they will provide you with a Blue book but if they don't, just apply for one at the Chiang Mai Amphur.

4. What is the difference between the Blue and Yellow book?

Blue Book is for Thai's and generally contains a record of who is registered at that particular Baan address (names included) The Yellow book is similar but for Foreigners. Many times if you're planning on a large purchase such as a motorbike or vehicle if you provide your Yellow book it will save one or two steps and in the end cost you less money.

I hope this information can be helpful. Good luck!

Like This

• Like 2

#1 Beng

Members

OP questions are:

1. Anyone has experience with Karnkanok ? (YES) purchased a condo from them in 2009.

2. Where is the land office to get the chanot ? (Canal Road across and down the road from 700 year stadium)

3 .Is the blue book necessary ? (YES, and No) although it's used by Thais and not foreigners it is needed to get the Yellow book. You cannot get the Yellow Book without first providing/submitting the Blue book to the Amphur)

(The Amphur is located in old city area in the same direction you would find the Sunday night walking market) I don't know the address but it's not so far from where that Sunday night walking market is).

What documents are needed ? At a minimum, your Passport, bring your Chonot title document.

You should be able to get the Blue Book the same day. The Yellow book may require you to come back in 1 or 2 week after you apply.

The Yellow book saves time and money when preparing for immigration reporting. With the Yellow book you will be able to skip 1or 2 steps in the process for acquiring specific documents prior to reporting to immigration. Applying and waiting for the Yellow book is worth it but not a requirement so you do not have to get the Yellow book but it is recommended. You will be glad that you got it after you gave it. And Yes, your name will be in the book. And No, the previous owner ( if any) is not required to give you their Blue Book if you purchase a condo or house from them. It is their Blue Book. Sometimes they will provide you with a Blue book but if they don't, just apply for one at the Chiang Mai Amphur.

Blue Book is for Thai's and generally contains a record of who is registered at that particular Baan address (names included) The Yellow book is similar but for Foreigners. Many times if you're planning on a large purchase such as a motorbike or vehicle if you provide your Yellow book it will save one or two steps and in the end cost you less money.

Like This

Thorough answer. Thanks

#1 Beng

Members

OP questions are:

Like This

Thorough answer. Thanks

Very helpful answer indeed and spot on topic. Cheers