Songkran in Udon Thani: advice please.

bottledwater

Hello knowledgeable residents of Udon.

I am traveling around Isaan on my motorbike this month and that will put me in Udon tomorrow morning where I will hold up for a few days or until it gets safe to drive again.

I would like to spend my time resting my back side, drinking beer, chatting with the girls, and getting a little wet (from the water, mods, from the waterwink.png) . In theory a guest house in a fun area with a bar down stairs would be ideal, but I'm flexible. And everything the cheaper the better. Any suggestions about where to go and what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone and happy new year!

looks like everyone left for the break .... anyway there are numerous hotels in Udon that may suit as you prefered... if your not sure where to go just ask a tuk tuk driver... i'm sure they'll point you in the right direction..

happy songkran. wai2.gif

Just go to the main drag,where Irish Clock restaurant is at.Ya have A half A block away Night and Day complex.Also the next road over is the Mall.And about 1/4 mile from that area in Nutty park.You'll find more happening there.

Irish Clock or Top Mansion for the more economic choice, Pannarai Hotel for more comfort.

Top Mansion has no bar downstairs, but no worries, the Soi is full of bars.

All in the same mentioned Soi Sampan where there is a lot of action.

Buy a big water gun so you can fire back from your bike :-)

Bye,

Derk

Irish Clock or Top Mansion for the more economic choice, Pannarai Hotel for more comfort.

Buy a big water gun so you can fire back from your bike :-)

Bye,

Derk

Good info. Thanks

Buy a big water gun so you can fire back from your bike :-). Nana Place across street from Top Mansion, I think same owner, 590 a night, some of th nicest beds in Thailand, excellent TV channels, loads of bars nearby, even a Sports Bar.

Bye,

Derk

Edited by Dannyboy6

Do not waste too much time on soi samphan (near irish clock). Get out to Nong prajak park a few kilometers away. Action starts about 3pm.....live music, tons of locals and farangs...good food...nice scenery. Soi Samphan is just where you go for bar hookers. UD Town is nearby as well.....go to the train station and turn right. I think that is tonight. Crowds, live music, action. Finish up late at night at soi sampan, and lastly, Mr tongs.

Do not waste too much time on soi samphan (near irish clock). Get out to Nong prajak park a few kilometers away. Action starts about 3pm.....live music, tons of locals and farangs...good food...nice scenery. Soi Samphan is just where you go for bar hookers. UD Town is nearby as well.....go to the train station and turn right. I think that is tonight. Crowds, live music, action. Finish up late at night at soi sampan, and lastly, Mr tongs.

Soi Samphan is just where you go looking for hookers ??????-----Don't waste too much time in Soi Samphan------ That's a bit of a contradiction of terms------------ THAT'S what he is looking forclap2.gifclap2.gif

@Home at Udon is what you are looking for, by the sounds. I stay there regularly. I don't go there for "hookers", I have a few friends of 5+ years, some who own or work in the bars. So I do frequent them and do drink there, walking home early some mornings. They may be fully booked as they are the best value for money that I am aware of at the moment.. I had trouble booking in December even though the owner virtually did everything except "building a new room" to fit me in during my stay.

The hotel is close with security outside so very safe. I often walk home after Khaen lessons late at night at have never had an issue.

5min from the night market, there is also a new shop opened before the market beside all the massage shops which has excellent food, even managed to whip me up some yum ple guay which is southern food hard to even find in Bangkok.

The massage shops are excellent value in Udon, not many places you can get legitimate good quality massages for 150b. The best massage shops are along Th. Prajak Silpakorn towards the night market.

There are "Farang" in Udon, and there are local Farang.. they are quite different beasts. Be careful if you are the Pattaya type as the local Farang might take offence to that type of approach.. people there are more chilled out and not so "business minded" like you might spend further south. If you are the type that goes to Pattaya regularly, I have heard that they tend to hang out at Day and Night, but I would not know as I do not go there. Both groups have good guys and bad guys, so take the time (if you have it) to observe before engaging.

Thanks everyone for the tips. It was a big help. I settled on the City Inn, just south of Soi Sampan almost to the bus station. 600 Baht but it was a good place. Old building but renovated recently (at least it looked that way) spotlessly clean, air, tv, all the bells and whistles but no lift. Many of the places I checked out on the morning of the 13th were full, all in fact except city inn. but it turned out to be a good place. And I did have a bit of fun on Soi Sampan!

Thanks again!

Yes did. Had a blast. Lots of people and inexpensive cans of Chang Export flowing freely. It was not far from my hotel actually. Met a nice girl and bought a grilled fish and som tum at the food court near there. Next day she took me to the other side of Udon, by a lake. There was a party going on around the lake. Great time. Well worth the investment of the grilled fish.