Healthy Euro/Rotisserie Chicken Coming To Chiang Mai Soon

mr chow

Since I almost never cook meat in my home, I was shocked to discover the low cost of chicken breasts at my local Lotus Tesco mini shop. I think I paid 49 baht for two very nice breasts. (My dog couldn't keep anything down and a bit of web research to me to try feeding her boiled chicken. Needless to say, she loved it.)

EEK! I pay an average of 16 baht each from Muang Mai market. Always lovely when cooked properly. I don't normally pay a great deal of attention to the price as I go to the same stall every time and I know he treats me fairly, but today I know it was 64 baht for four of them because he asked me if I had the 4 baht in change. Then I absent-mindedly added 8 chicken thighs (ask for SA-PO in Thai) for curry which were 80 baht, or 10 baht each. I always buy chicken, pork and fish from the market, even beef or buffalo occasionally and it seems to be a fraction of the price in the supermarkets (just like back home) and I've never had a problem. The only time I buy from supermarkets is when I want lamb, fillet steaks or osso bucco cuts all of which I get from Makro.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering about the "healthy" part, do you have a special source for poultry? or just the usual cp or betagrow? as the price is more than double the 5***** price.

Still wondering what makes the chicken "healthy", OP???

• Like 1

Coming to which area in Chiang Mai?

I guess we will just have to drive around Chiang Mai until we find it.

laugh.png Right drive around Chiang Mai looking for a 300 baht Chicken.

Maybe I'll just go and buy 4 Kilograms of chicken breast and roast my own.

Since I almost never cook meat in my home, I was shocked to discover the low cost of chicken breasts at my local Lotus Tesco mini shop. I think I paid 49 baht for two very nice breasts. (My dog couldn't keep anything down and a bit of web research to me to try feeding her boiled chicken. Needless to say, she loved it.)

EEK! I pay an average of 16 baht each from Muang Mai market. Always lovely when cooked properly. I don't normally pay a great deal of attention to the price as I go to the same stall every time and I know he treats me fairly, but today I know it was 64 baht for four of them because he asked me if I had the 4 baht in change. Then I absent-mindedly added 8 chicken thighs (ask for SA-PO in Thai) for curry which were 80 baht, or 10 baht each. I always buy chicken, pork and fish from the market, even beef or buffalo occasionally and it seems to be a fraction of the price in the supermarkets (just like back home) and I've never had a problem. The only time I buy from supermarkets is when I want lamb, fillet steaks or osso bucco cuts all of which I get from Makro.

I'm surprised you meat and poultry from there. I don't think it's safe. Flies could be dropping eggs and spreading bacterias. I also worry about the meat and poultry not being properly refrigerated. My partner and her family never, ever buy meat or poultry from Muang Mai or any other Thai market for that very reason (and they are Thais). We usually buy at Makro or CP for chicken. But for fruit and vegetables, tofu, etc. Muang Mai is great.

MODERATOR HELP

please close this thread. I can't take the expat mentality anymore. I've heard enough. How cheap? That's all that anyone on this

Site is concerned with. But you all like Duke's which ain't cheap. This dish with all the trimmings would be the same price at Duke's and none of you would moan. This would also be the same price at KFC. and the Thais wouldn't complain like you crybabies.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

MODERATOR HELP

please close this thread. I can't take the expat mentality anymore. I've heard enough. How cheap? That's all that anyone on this

Site is concerned with. But you all like Duke's which ain't cheap. This dish with all the trimmings would be the same price at Duke's and none of you would moan. This would also be the same price at KFC. and the Thais wouldn't complain like you crybabies.

thumbsup.gif I'm guessing it's just a troll anyway, judging by this response.

Op came for feedback but wasn't interested in both good and bad feedback.

What did the OP expect? A bunch of praise and encouragement only? OP doesn't think local Thai's are also price conscious?

A lot of posters come on this forum and talk big chicken.. But few deliver.

Offcourse he is not interested in the feedback, he uses tv for advertising his product that is not original and over priced.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

re

Thai roasted chicken

here ya go smile.png ... a perfectly roasted leg quarter with rice veg

and a lovely gravy @ 80 baht ( just gone up from 65 )

from jok somphet !

enjoy ... dave2 .. a once a week regular smile.png

They really DO make a great chicken dish for just a little bit of money. Large chicken leg quarter section, plump and juicy, very tasty, on a big serving of rice, with a few salad items beside it... great value and great meal, comfortable surroundings, and even some dim sum for appetizers! Very nice!

I'll be interested to see what the OP has to offer. I can't say that I like the price, but who knows? Maybe he does have something special. The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating.

MODERATOR HELP

Moderator Help. Please delete this thread. People who aren't paying to advertise aren't supposed to promote their products or services on thaivisa.com.

I'm surprised you meat and poultry from there. I don't think it's safe. Flies could be dropping eggs and spreading bacterias. I also worry about the meat and poultry not being properly refrigerated. My partner and her family never, ever buy meat or poultry from Muang Mai or any other Thai market for that very reason (and they are Thais). We usually buy at Makro or CP for chicken. But for fruit and vegetables, tofu, etc.

I've honestly never had a problem in 5 years of buying from the market, and as I don't eat Thai food, I cook pretty much every day. We've recently moved and Muang Mai is the closest market, but I had a regular lady at the Morning Market for years and now I have a regular man. He appears to be clean, and unless I have a problem with meat that doesn't seem fresh or makes us ill, I keep on.

It's as much for convenience as anything else as we don't live near a supermarket and I don't drive or plan meals in advance, preferring to see what veggies look nice whilst wandering around. Price is a secondary consideration, but nobody can deny it's a huge one. With the 80 baht of chicken thighs, tomatoes, onions, peppers, ginger, garlic, a handful of Indian spices, and basmati rice, say 150-180 baht total money and a good couple of hours in the kitchen (which I enjoy) I can make a curry for us (2 people) tonight, 3 other meals in the freezer and a couple of lots of the gravy without meat for when I grill chicken breasts. But as I said, being frugal is not the main reason I buy there, it's convenience.

re

They really DO make a great chicken dish for just a little bit of money. Large chicken leg quarter section, plump and juicy, very tasty, on a big serving of rice, with a few salad items beside it... great value and great meal

have you tried s and p roast chicken place by wat prah singh ?

the half chicken with boiled rice and two portions of the sweet orange sauce is goooooood but its a small very tender chicken and 90 baht :)

not like the bigger 5 star ones @ 63 baht that always seem to have to much salt in to me :(

dave2

post-42592-0-40005200-1397537349_thumb.j

post-42592-0-41714300-1397537389_thumb.j

post-42592-0-07865600-1397537430_thumb.j

• Like 2

re

They really DO make a great chicken dish for just a little bit of money. Large chicken leg quarter section, plump and juicy, very tasty, on a big serving of rice, with a few salad items beside it... great value and great meal

the half chicken with boiled rice and two portions of the sweet orange sauce is goooooood but its a small very tender chicken and 90 baht smile.png

not like the bigger 5 star ones @ 63 baht that always seem to have to much salt in to me sad.png

dave2

Dave2 - here is a challenge. How about a pic and a map of this 300 baht chicken site. The OP seems to have forgotten where the place is.

re

the half chicken with boiled rice and two portions of the sweet orange sauce is goooooood but its a small very tender chicken and 90 baht smile.png

not like the bigger 5 star ones @ 63 baht that always seem to have to much salt in to me sad.png

dave2

I've walked past this place several times, and it looked and smelled great! Unfortunately, each time I was on my way AFTER lunch!

Frankly, I'm surprised that someone would think to open yet another rotisserie chicken place in Chiang Mai. It seems as if there is one on just about every block these days! But best of luck to new enterprises!

re

Thai roasted chicken

here ya go smile.png ... a perfectly roasted leg quarter with rice veg

and a lovely gravy @ 80 baht ( just gone up from 65 )

from jok somphet !

enjoy ... dave2 .. a once a week regular smile.png

Been going there for the 'gai ob' dish for at least 14-15 yrs .. last time 2 weeks back, sad to hear they've put the price up again it was a good deal at 65B .. thats the recent politically driven inflation for you

I think for the first few years I was paying 45B so nearly doubled in price.. service a bit spotty now by the tribal / shan young female phone obsessed staff.

If in Pai MHS for Rotisserie chicken try the fellow with the van just inside the main market, he also does nicely done Pla Tub Tim .. get there early 4-5pm for the chicken .. it sells quick

re

It used to be on the North side of the moat near Jok Sopmphet, but it moved several months a go.

hes right :) .. in may last year !

dave2

ps ... i always take away and chomp my way through them

in front of my computer :).. thats much more enjoyable !

post-42592-0-51554500-1397557570_thumb.j

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

MODERATOR HELP

Crikey....you must be French to throw in the towel so easily.

Thai Geezers might give the OP a break ... not all chooks are raised nor cooked the same and frankly I prefer DIY at home in preference to hit or miss take-outs.

KFC often has too much MSG and amount varies so much I will not eat. Betagro chook products, direct or from Tesco, are better than CP if you get fresh product. Fresh can be hit and miss in Supermarkets as the UseByDate is often changed ... overnight :( Daily.

So, IF Mr Chow emulates Daves Dukes, and goes for high quality bbq chooks, moist, tender and running with succulent juices ... let him give it a go ... southside please Mr Chow. :)

Note: In Sydney [Aus] my favourite chook requires a bank loan to fund takeaways > http://www.chargrillcharlies.com.au/the-chargrill/