Healthy Euro/Rotisserie Chicken Coming To Chiang Mai Soon

mr chow

Large plump juicy chickens 1/2 or whole. Classic, BBQ, Lemon/Rosemary, Garlic/ Oregano, Thai Style. Choice of 2 sides ( stuffing, creamed spinach, roasted potatoes, honey carrots,etc.,etc) and comes with cornbread with honey butter. Eat in to take away. 180B 1/2, 300B whole (includes sides for 2 people). Beer available. Open 11 am to 9 pm. Feedback?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price does seem high, but if eat in, in comfortable surroundings,might work.

In Bangkok Suk 101/1 there is a place on the side of the road that does real charcoal BBQ chickens for 120 Baht with a nice dipping sauce. Add 10 baht for sticky rice. Sell out by lunchtime. They have a table to sit at as well.

300 does not compare well, but good luck.

In the Philippines, I once bought two great BBQd birds which we took on a picnic.

Price escapes me, but the franchise was called "Chooks are Us". Yes, it was an Aussie idea. At least they're not trying to pretend they're chickens! tongue.png

Thanks for the feed back. But, let's compare apples to apples. The chickens currently for sale are small and tasteless ( and usually undercooked (pink). KFC is packed constantly so there's chicken demand. You gotta think Duke's quality and portions. Now......what would David charge? Here's the rule of chiang mai dining I've adapted. " if you can get Western food as good if not better and a farang portion For a slightly lower price" than in the West this is a great deal. These are full blown chicken dinners. The best product available Will be used. All birds are marinated for hours and with herbs and spices. The restaurants in chiang mai are not going to get better if price is the only determinate. This is what happens here. Rent, salaries, utilities, food cost, taxes

And inflation! And a little profit for the owner. This isn't a thai food art operation. Oh....you can bet your life they WILL COPY ME

Within weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

But that's an advantage to mom/pop on the street or off the cart....no rent, no salaries, no air-con. So if you are going to compete; it's got to be extra good. Apparently Dave pulls it off, but mom/pop don't sell steaks so he has a near monopoly. I've had chicken in a dozen different places, just this month, and none of it was pink, more likely overdone, and I prefer mine a bit stringy. They had whole rosemary/thyme chickens at The Royal Project last week for 160 thb. Didn't look real appealing, but looked ok. I can't understand all the hype about the burger scene, but they don't have to compete with mom/pop, either.

Yes KFC is very tasty but full of MSG.I have an intolerance to MSG and find it hard to get good Thai food without that chemical added to it.The street side chicken places are always too sweet or taste horrible. I have been looking for decent chicken like you find in Europe or the middle east.This could be welcome news to people who just want to buy a cooked chicken to take home.

I don't concur on the pink observation of local offerings.

If anything the grilled choices can be a touch dry and boring seasoning.

Hey if OP has a better chicken then bring it on... Talk is cheap.

And offer everybody in your T.V. focus group a discount!!!!

that brown pasty stuff is great as an alternative to sugaree bbq sauce that is very pricey here. Orange sauce is ok, and a little thai ketchup on some breast meat is ok, too. I'll put A-1 on it in the States, but I'm afraid to look at how expensive that stuff is here. Even that green fish sauce is a good dip for chicken that's a bit dry. My first trip to Thailand in 1998 brought me to a KFC on Sukhumvit for a few starter meals. It took me about 2 days to figure out that (there were no bar fines at Thermae) the guy with the grill, who set up in front of KFC, after it closed, cooked a helluva lot better chicken than KFC. I thought it was kind of cute when the thai girl came out and got up on her tip toes to clean the smog off the Colonel's glasses several times per day.

Since I almost never cook meat in my home, I was shocked to discover the low cost of chicken breasts at my local Lotus Tesco mini shop. I think I paid 49 baht for two very nice breasts. (My dog couldn't keep anything down and a bit of web research to me to try feeding her boiled chicken. Needless to say, she loved it.)

I think that the roast chicken here in a lot of places is very good, but if yours in bigger and better than you might do well.

And if the sides are large enough to make up the difference in price then definitely.

300 baht for a sit down dinner for two is okay especially if both walk away full.

It is a bit much for takeaway in my opinion unless as the OP says the chickens are larger and the sides are of adequate size.

The sides at KFC are way too small as far as I am concerned so I don't bother with them.

As for the rotisserie chicken being pink, that has not been my experience. A bit dry most of time.

I will keep an eye on this thread and give it a try at least once.

Where are the chickens sourced? I happily pay a bit extra for the Gai Baan over the CP Chickens, but to stretch to 300B is a push. You can't get away with charging more to cook a chicken just because you aren't Thai.

Its just a street cart, you may get close to 200B inc the sides if you have something special. Otherwise, you'll be relying on expats as the Thais won't come near you.