Thai Tourism Ministry urged to help victims of cheating

webfact

TOURISM
Tourism ministry urged to help victims of cheating

Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Yukhon Limlamthong has ordered the Tourism Ministry to help visitors who get cheated by travel agencies by lodging legal complaints on their behalf.

Yukhon, who looks after the ministry, has ordered its permanent secretary Suwat Sidthilaw to make a list of the deceived victims. The names will be sorted into groups to lodge complaints against wrongdoers, making clear the problems from case to case.

The ministry's Tourism Department licences tour operators, so when consumers suffer from unfair services offered by operators, the ministry has to lend a helping hand to them, he believes.

About 200 domestic tourists lost a lot of money recently when they bought allegedly bogus tour packages for the Phupranang Resort and Spa in Krabi from the Phupranang Travel Agency at travel fairs.

Yukhon realised that unfair service in Thailand was on the rise in various forms, along with the tourism boom.

He said what he would do is build tourists' confidence and standardise services in the tourism industry.

Some tourism operators are also worried. They have urged the government to do more, especially take legal action with clear punishment in order to teach a lesson to existing operators.

One possible measure would be to issue certificates to qualified operators that guaranteed their service. This would boost consumers' confidence before they decide to buy.

Thai travellers should also be looked after during the ongoing political turmoil. The ministry was ordered to consider offering insurance to local tourists, not only to foreign tourists.

Claims would be paid out of a fund established by the government. This is aimed at ensuring fairness for all holidaymakers.

Death or injury caused by a political riot is not covered by travel insurance.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-14

Tourism cheating in Thailand. Shocking that this has been going on and a statement need be made that the minister "has ordered" the industry just now in 2014 to "help" tourists who were cheated and scammed in Thailand.

• Like 2

Legislation tough penalties and enforcement is the answer,,,,,but in thailand?Interesting this is news about "Thais" being ripped off and the need for action. Farangs can just stop moaning,they have no rights

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

While they are at it what about gem scams?

Hundreds of people every year have huge amounts of money stolen from them by conmen and jewellery store owners.

This leave a huge bad taste in the mouth of foreigners, some of which vow to never return again and tell everyone they know about the real Thailand!

• Like 1

Why is there just moan and groan when the government comes up with a good idea to help tackle an important problem? I can think of a lot of tourists who would opt for those with guaranteed certificates and have peace of mind of getting reimbursed as claims are backed by government funds, not people who disappear. I see a lot of good things here and fully expect to get flamed for saying as much.

• Like 2

One possible measure would be to issue certificates to qualified operators that guaranteed their service. This would boost consumers' confidence before they decide to buy.

​Isn't there something called the TAT for that ?

Not heard anything from TAT for a week or s. They all must be on those paid for spa promotion holidays--FREE OF SCAMS and rip offs.

Thai Tourism Ministry is one of several trough bodies in this business that they say is only 8% of economy.

If they want to dig deep into the cheats they should do it right across the board. Airport---police----taxis--transport safety---single pricing----etc.,

Another example of a ministry belching out statements to justify their massive incomes and annual budgets.

Why is there just moan and groan when the government comes up with a good idea to help tackle an important problem? I can think of a lot of tourists who would opt for those with guaranteed certificates and have peace of mind of getting reimbursed as claims are backed by government funds, not people who disappear. I see a lot of good things here and fully expect to get flamed for saying as much.

A "certificate" is usually a sign for me to avoid the place.

To reply--it is not the idea that is bad it is who can get help ??? if your on a 2 week holiday how is it possible ?? wait a month for a verdict--and is it for Thai or Tourists to Thailand. Have government got funds or do they have to ask the EC ???

The problem states only from cheating tour companies ??? what about the other 90% of cheats you meet on holiday ??? I want to see some examples of who were cheated--and where they were from before I am convinced.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If only the powers that be realize that quiet a-few tourists leave Thailand vowing never to return, whether they are scamed , rude service, higher admission prices for foreigners, bad bus driving , taxi , tuk tuk drivers scams , police looking for tea money, tour operator scams , general over pricing or protesters on the streets, all these and more can ruin a great holiday and of course when they get home, they tell everyone who will listen, not to come to LOS , the knock on effect.bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif width=19 alt=bah.gif>

And Thais haven't got a clue what the majority of previous tourists perceive Thailand to be.

Old whiskey, new bottle! I came here in 67 and the government was telling us the same thing. There are to many influential people and police making large sums of money. The government is not going to do anything, because they do not want to rock the boat.

My god near 50 years here ?? when Pattaya was a village. I thought I was the oldest swinger in town. Them nights were the daysthumbsup.gif

Did you get the certificate from Queen Elizabeth for your 100th birthday ??

Edited by ginjag

"If only the powers that be realize that quiet a-few tourists leave Thailand vowing never to return, "

They realise and they don't care as there are always more waiting to come. 1 billion Chinese, half a billion Koreans and Russians, it is an untapped market.

What do you think for how much one of these 'certificates' will enter the market?

What is the number to file a complaint? I was "deceived" by a bargirl who said she was 22 but later I found out she was 32.

I think I know her......!

I had her 14 years ago, it was her first night in Pattaya, wow I was lucky.

What is the number to file a complaint? I was "deceived" by a bargirl who said she was 22 but later I found out she was 32.

It could have been a lot worse. Could have turned out she was not a bargirl at all, but rather a famous ladyboy. There could have been an extra "package" in the room, which you discovered after you kissed her and fooled around. Has happened to many men I know.

About 200 domestic tourists lost a lot of money recently when they bought allegedly bogus tour packages for the Phupranang Resort and Spa in Krabi from the Phupranang Travel Agency at travel fairs.

At least they called out the roaches by name. Sweet. We do not see that much around here, as the perpetrators seem to have immunity from being called out by name, due to the super cowardly defamation laws. Seems the victims of a crime often have fewer rights than the criminal here. Now, if only they would pursue these fools, prosecute them, impose massive fines, and sentence them to prison terms, the warnings might have some impact. If only.

• Like 2

The ministry's Tourism Department licences tour operators, so when consumers suffer from unfair services offered by operators, the ministry has to lend a helping hand to them, he believes.

Maybe it would help just a little bit if "unfair services" was to be reclassified to "fraud"...just musing...whistling.gif

because the government are, as usual, paying lip service to a niche problem while conveniently ignoring the real and much larger problem.

and if you knew anything about thailand you would know these words will result in absolutely no action and no tangible benefit will be realised

Then people would just get copies made.....kinda like a fake degree.

• Like 1

Better that than finding out the hard way that she was 16. Anyway at 32 they generally know what they're doing ..... complaints department knows this too