Observations you can't get your head around

JesseFrank

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A Thai bashing thread? It must be any day of the week.

Who mentioned Thais?

1. The OP wrote, "Today I traveled over Highway #7 towards Pattaya. About 2 km before Pattaya there was a service pickup from a company with mechanical problems."

2. This is the general forum on ThaiVisa and if the thread is not Thai related it is removed.

Anything else?

Thailand related....does not have to be about Thais....he did not state thais specifically.

I think you have issues.

Then why would he be posting in the general forum on Thai Visa where every topic must be Thai related or removed?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

1. The OP wrote, "Today I traveled over Highway #7 towards Pattaya. About 2 km before Pattaya there was a service pickup from a company with mechanical problems."

2. This is the general forum on ThaiVisa and if the thread is not Thai related it is removed.

Anything else?

Thailand related....does not have to be about Thais....he did not state thais specifically.

I think you have issues.

Then why would he be posting in the general forum on Thai Visa where every topic must be Thai related or removed?

Could it be that any highway in Thailand is Thai related whistling.gif

• Like 2

^ yeah....never seen a foreigner on any highway either.....

You're a real stickler for the rules ain't ya TLT....I fell a modship brewing...keep it up, I'm sure it won't go to your head.

Edited by Showbags

Anything else?

I think you have issues.

Tell Showbags, he thinks you were not writing about Thailand.biggrin.png

I think you have issues.

Are you on alcohol or prescription drugs ?

• Like 2

Are you on alcohol or prescription drugs ?

Another flame. Why can't you post like an adult. Try the content and not the person.

• Like 1

Who mentioned Thais?

Anything else?

As per your above post....it is thai related. So what you worry about ?

OP asked as well what an example others have seen on the roads which deemed to be impossible.

And, you have 1 ?

BTW if he would be bashing thais....he would have referred in his OP specifically to THAIS. He did not so....

• Like 2

A Thai highway makes it Thailand related, but not necessarily Thai bashing for that matter.

The topic is, "Observations you can't get your head around

Not Thai bashing?

Never observed a foreigner in Thailand yet ?

Probably too busy splitting hairs .

• Like 1

Perhaps the pick-up was the car in front, and that's why he was having mechanical difficulties.

Why bother putting a twig in front of the object to warn people, when you can just leave the object there to warn them about it.

You need to start thinking like a local mate.

He was driving along and saw the car broken down.

As he passed by, he saw a can, near the rear of the car, a little bit close to the lane road marking.

He tut tutted and decided that this can of petrol could be a potential disaster zone.

He then went home and embellished his story on Thai Visa

There was no can near the rear of the pick up, close to the lane road marking. There was a can at the side of the pickup, in the middle of the driving lane.

Stop making up things to float your apologist boat.

As for your earlier remark, there was no car in front of me at that time, and since you like Thai so much, you should be aware that Thai drivers love to drive on the far right lane even on a empty higway, as that probably make them look important.

The can was seemingly hit a few times earlier already, as it didn't look very stable anymore when I passed the scene.

So, now your story has changed to where you passed the scene. What happened to the emergency maneuver you made ?

Perhaps the pick-up was the car in front, and that's why he was having mechanical difficulties.

Why bother putting a twig in front of the object to warn people, when you can just leave the object there to warn them about it.

As he passed by, he saw a can, near the rear of the car, a little bit close to the lane road marking.

He tut tutted and decided that this can of petrol could be a potential disaster zone.

There was no can near the rear of the pick up, close to the lane road marking. There was a can at the side of the pickup, in the middle of the driving lane.

As for your earlier remark, there was no car in front of me at that time, and since you like Thai so much, you should be aware that Thai drivers love to drive on the far right lane even on a empty higway, as that probably make them look important.

The can was seemingly hit a few times earlier already, as it didn't look very stable anymore when I passed the scene.

" you should be aware that Thai drivers love to drive on the far right lane even on a empty highway, as that probably make them look important."

I believe lane driving is legal here - unlike in other places, like the UK, where one is supposed to only use the faster lanes for over taking (hence the feeder lanes/slip roads in the UK that are pretty much non existent here). There are two schools of thought as to which is safer - I believe the USA also allows lane driving on highways (but willing to stand corrected if this is not the case!).

My biggest gripe here wrt highways and ring roads is that they are not kerbed or edged, leading to masses of road grit in the slow lane which (given the poor surfaces used here too) make for a dangerous place when emergency braking is required.

The day before Songkran riding home just before sunset & I passed a duk duk leaving a very low trailer on the other side of the road completely blocking that side of the road, no lights or reflectors of any kind on it, he then pushed his Duk duk down a track turning off the road right by the trailer 100 yds to his home. Mmm an accident waiting to happen I thought, giving the traditional falang head shake as I passed.

Low & behold I get up the next morning to find that my Nephew in law & his pregnant wife slammed right into that trailer on their Scooter last night. He was out of hospital with 2 smashed wrists & a smashed ankle & she was still in hospital with a fractured hip, baby still intact very luckily.

Police, had a look then didn't want to know, no $$$ in it for them presumably. With hindsight I can't help wondering if that Farmer was really that stupid or did he have some kind of Sadistic urge to **** someone up for Songkran, there was plenty of room on the track going to his house (& nowhere else) for that trailer...

Anyway I think he's going to have a problem when local homegrown justice takes effect from our Village soon from what I hear... TIT

• Like 1

So, now your story has changed to where you passed the scene. What happened to the emergency maneuver you made ?

I told you already to stop instigate untruths with the only purpose of floating your apologist boat, or is it that you really have a chip on your shoulder ?

What has changed from the story in the OP ?

All good and well, but as i approached his vehicle, at the very last second, I noticed he had placed a used 1 gallon paint tin beside his truck in the middle of the first driving lane.

Lucky there was no traffic beside me, because as you know a 1 gallon tin is almost invisible, and I had to make a emergency move not to get it under the car.

There are 3 driving lanes on the highway

Now go away.

Edited by JesseFrank

Today, the total killed on roads has exceeded 200......pretty bad for a few days.

Those motor bikes with the overloaded sidecars and no lights are something that is no longer needed here....they are obsolete, and dangerous at night.

Anyway JesseFrank, you missed the vehicle and the Can...thank goodness.

Defencive Driving ....thats the only way to go..

Today, the total killed on roads has exceeded 200......pretty bad for a few days.

Those motor bikes with the overloaded sidecars and no lights are something that is no longer needed here....they are obsolete, and dangerous at night.

Anyway JesseFrank, you missed the vehicle and the Can...thank goodness.

Defencive Driving ....thats the only way to go..

Driving in Samor thot a town near me ,the lights turn green,but everybody had too manouvre around an old pickup parked at the stop line,it was locked and no one inside,don't know if he had broken down or maybe just popped into a nearby shop,it was so absurd i still can hardly beleive it.

What I don't get my head around is, that every time I drive on a major road with my truck, there will be some moped coming out of a side soi or a parking lot trying to challenge my right of way.

Edited by JesseFrank

This is the land of smiles only if you smile.biggrin.png

Closing your eyes you mean.....acceptance.....hmmmm.....no matter where one is in the world......impossible some/many times....

I am retired in Thailand and have been for quite a few years. If I die tomorrow it will have been well worth the investment I have made in Thailand. I don't complain about anything. If a person jumps ahead of me at the store or while driving I don't mind. I have the time. I'm not in a hurry.

You complain a lot. You think a lot of things are wrong in Thailand. If instead of complaining and evaluating you got happy, smiled and had a positive outlook you would see a world of difference in your life.

But don't believe me. Age, of course does not bring wisdom.

Thailand is a lot better than many places.

Of course you know more than I. I don't work. I don't have to. I go to bed when I want and get up when I want and eat and drink what I want when I want. I do things that make me happy and give to people to see them smile.

agree. life is good without a wife.

Sorry but the truth hurts....15 years here each day I see something new.

Living in a place where you see something new every day beats living in a place where everything is always the same. Novelty is the spice of life not uniformity.

• Like 1

Sorry but the truth hurts....15 years here each day I see something new.

Living in a place where you see something new every day beats living in a place where everything is always the same. Novelty is the spice of life not uniformity.
Hmmm.....never read an excuse for stupid behaviour like that. Well stated, keep it coming. Edited by benalibina

To be fair....I reckon the idea (that most Thai's do up here) is a great idea......

Placing broken branches or foliage in the road 50 metres or so before their vehicle, is a great idea.

Not sure about the paint pots but maybe because of the lack of foliage on that road?

Still, I would rather hit a few paint pots than a stationary truck!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kjhbigv

" you should be aware that Thai drivers love to drive on the far right lane even on a empty highway, as that probably make them look important."

I believe lane driving is legal here - unlike in other places, like the UK

Incorrect. Tell that to the many BIB who have used that as an excuse to try and "fine" me the years!

To be fair....I reckon the idea (that most Thai's do up here) is a great idea......

Placing broken branches or foliage in the road 50 metres or so before their vehicle, is a great idea.

Not sure about the paint pots but maybe because of the lack of foliage on that road?

Still, I would rather hit a few paint pots than a stationary truck!

Did you notice in the OP that the truck was parked beside the road, so that any road users would under normal circumstances not be able to hit it ?

And that the paint tin was placed beside the truck, and even not at the side of the driving lane but rather in the middle, so you would have passed the rear-side of the truck already before you hit the paint can.

Placing broken branches or an almost invisible paint tin ( read obstacle) ON the road instead of beside, is not a warning system but creating a dangerous situation.

This evening driving southbound on Pattaya Sukhumvit left hand driving lane. Late model Toyota Camry in front of me is traveling at 30 km/h while the right hand lane is full of traffic so impossible to pass.

About 50 meters before the traffic light the counter starts to count down. One would expect the car to speed up a little instead of obstructing traffic behind and pass the light before it turns red.

No way, when he reaches the light it's full red for at least 5 seconds already, but he just continues his way as if nothing has happened.

Edited by JesseFrank

This evening driving southbound on Pattaya Sukhumvit left hand driving lane. Late model Toyota Camry in front of me is traveling at 30 km/h while the right hand lane is full of traffic so impossible to pass.

About 50 meters before the traffic light the counter starts to count down. One would expect the car to speed up a little instead of obstructing traffic behind and pass the light before it turns red.

No way, when he reaches the light it's full red for at least 5 seconds already, but he just continues his way as if nothing has happened.

Stevie Wonder in town ?