30 day stamp expired yesterday; where can I go to get a Non-O

As crazy as this sounds I am contemplating sending my passport off to the consulate in Boston when I am due, along with a check for the proper amount [last year, 180 dollars]. By the quickest FedEx service of course.

The lady at the consulate knows me by now and is always very easy and accommodating, has never even asked me any questions. I did it this way once when I was in Canada for a year, got it back in 3 or 4 days with a shiny new stamp and everything was smooth as silk.

Even if you were in the states now you would not be able to do it by mail now. The embassy in DC mandated that the honorary consulates can no longer accept mail in applications last year.

And from here it would be illegal.

Gotcha, I kinda knew it was not possible but just wanted to float it out there.

I have less problems than many because I am 51 now, just trying to stay as long as possible before applying for an "extension of stay" based on retirement.

I got a 30 day stamp from Koh Kong about 1 week ago... I was wondering the same thing, when are they going to change it to 15 days as it says 15 on the official thai website - cant remember the name of it

yeahh, here it is http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/new-visa-rules.php - this was around the 4th April but I came back in on 9th and still got 30 days

That is a commercial website and there is nothing official about it.

What is on that page is over 5 years old.

On November 1st of last year they came out with new rule that allows those from the G7 countries to get 30 days at a border crossing. That rule has not been revoked.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ubonjoe, do you mean that if I get there tomorrow, I can get it the same day and not have to wait until Monday? That would be great.

You would have to stay in Vientiane until Monday afternoon if you applied tomorrow (Friday).

If you wanted to get the non-o in Vientiane it would be best to go back to immigration for the 7 day extension application and make the trip next week. You are building up a overstay fine of 500 baht a day now. You would have to pay 2400 baht for the extension and a one day of overstay. But if you went today you would probably would not have to pay overstay fine since they were closed yesterday.

Sorry if I am not making myself clear smile.png

I will probably go to Cambodia to get another 30 day stamp tomorrow and then convert that to a Non-O at Ladprao with 15 days. I can do that in one day right?

Clarity is always helpful !smile.png

If you do as you now say then everything should work out.

You may not receive the entry conversion on the same day as it is applied for. The immigration officer will advise you.

"Clarity is always helpful !smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png"

Part of the problem ... I think ... in this thread is that the idea of a "border run" and a "visa run" seem to be floating in the same space and getting confused along with the usual confusion between visas and extensions of stay.

If the O/P, or anyone else from a G7 country, does a border run, i.e. crosses a border and comes back, he would get a 30 day visa exempt entry (not a visa on arrival). At Immigrations he could then, if qualified, convert that to a non-imm O entry stamp and after 60 days apply for an extension of stay.

On the other hand, if he is qualified he could leave the country and apply for a non-imm O visa at an embassy in another country (i.e. make a visa run), return to Thailand and after 60 days apply for an extension of stay (not a visa) at immigrations.

Some people seem to dismiss the use of correct terms as a pointless exercise in semantics, but as this thread illustrates, using the correct terms does bring some clarity and more readily understood suggestions. Calling everything in sight a retirement visa, although convenient at first, tends to lead to "talking" at cross purposes.

• Like 1

Part of the problem ... I think ... in this thread is that the idea of a "border run" and a "visa run" seem to be floating in the same space and getting confused along with the usual confusion between visas and extensions of stay.

If the O/P, or anyone else from a G7 country, does a border run, i.e. crosses a border and comes back, he would get a 30 day visa exempt entry (not a visa on arrival). At Immigrations he could then, if qualified, convert that to a non-imm O entry stamp and after 60 days apply for an extension of stay.

On the other hand, if he is qualified he could leave the country and apply for a non-imm O visa at an embassy in another country (i.e. make a visa run), return to Thailand and after 60 days apply for an extension of stay (not a visa) at immigrations.

Some people seem to dismiss the use of correct terms as a pointless exercise in semantics, but as this thread illustrates, using the correct terms does bring some clarity and more readily understood suggestions. Calling everything in sight a retirement visa, although convenient at first, tends to lead to "talking" at cross purposes.

Thanks for pointing this out. I never thought about the differences. And Im happy to know that i can convert that to a non-o if i qualify, something UbonJoe might have also pointed out.

Edited by rideswings

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for pointing this out. I never thought about the differences. And Im happy to know that i can convert that to a non-o if i qualify, something UbonJoe might have also pointed out.

Ubonjoe provides very good advice to many.

If you would care to look carefully the implied criticism is totally unwarranted.

By the way the post lacks clarity !

• Like 1

suradit69 is absolutely correct. I didn't understand visas and related topics until TV members pointed out the semantics and definitions of terms. The 90 day reports, visas, extensions, permissions of stay, etc. The terms have to be understood or none of the advisors here can help you properly.

If you would care to look carefully the implied criticism is totally unwarranted.

I don't think that was meant as criticism by Rideswings, rather a "maybe UbonJoe has already told me that it's possible to convert to a Non-O" (as indeed he did in post 3).

Sophon

I don't think that was meant as criticism by Rideswings, rather a "maybe UbonJoe has already told me that it's possible to convert to a Non-O" (as indeed he did in post 3).

Sophon

I do not wish to get involved in a big debate about this issue , however "And Im happy to know that i can convert that to a non-o if i qualify, something UbonJoe might have also pointed out" seems to suggest Joe did not mention the conversation possibility and therefore by extension implies criticism .

Sophon

I do not wish to get involved in a big debate about this issue , however "And Im happy to know that i can convert that to a non-o if i qualify, something UbonJoe might have also pointed out" seems to suggest Joe did not mention the conversation possibility and therefore by extension implies criticism .

I can understand why you read it that way, and so did I at first. But to me "something UbonJoe might have also pointed out", can also be read as "maybe UbonJoe already pointed this out (but I'm not quite sure)".

The reason I changed my mind about how to read the reply is based on Rideswings other posts, which are all very polite and expresses gratitude for the help he has received. Besides, no reason to think the worst, if a post can be interpreted in more than one way.

Sophon

Sophon

As stated I am not looking for a huge debate on this issue!

However , "Besides, no reason to think the worst, if a post can be interpreted in more than one way." would suggest seeking CLARITY when posting is important if understanding is to be achieved !smile.png

I was simply trying to give credit to Ubonjoe for something he had already mentioned. No criticism intended, UbonJoe has been very helpful for me here, why would I criticize? Again, another of my posts lacked clarity, sorry about that.

Well i am just back from Cambodia, the van ride and everything was as easy as pie, but I just want to make sure that what I received will be able to be converted to a Non-O. I asked the agent who helped me on the trip, and he said it can be converted if I have at least 21 days left. Heres a picture of what I got and the other page from when I departed.

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

Edited by rideswings

As long as you apply for the conversion within 15 days you will have no problem.

I can see your overstay stamp where you paid the 1000 baht fine also.

Ubonjoe, do you mean within 15 days of its expiration? That would give me around 2 weeks from now to apply.

As crazy as this sounds I am contemplating sending my passport off to the consulate in Boston when I am due, along with a check for the proper amount [last year, 180 dollars]. By the quickest FedEx service of course.

The lady at the consulate knows me by now and is always very easy and accommodating, has never even asked me any questions. I did it this way once when I was in Canada for a year, got it back in 3 or 4 days with a shiny new stamp and everything was smooth as silk.

Yes it is crazy. How are you going to get an entry stamp in this mailed passport ?

You think that any Immigration Officer is going to miss the fact that you have a Thai Visa with no entry stamp

What you did when visiting Canada means absolutely nothing here since the rules for entry and exit are completely different