USA Travelers, tourists...heads up using US VISA cards with all Thailand Companies, BE PREPARED!

kimbathewhitelion

Think this maybe a repercussion from the new US FATCA law/enforcement.

Have to quote "Jingthing" for this one:

"Nobody has said that all Thai banks are now refusing all new American accounts.

It's just that based on international news of major changes in enforcement from the U.S. forcing all foreign banks to do extra stuff for American accounts and that sometimes meaning refusal of American business, that we are now on ALERT now for DETAILS about how that is going to manifest itself in Thailand.

This topic is as legitimate as they come. This thread and others are going to be very relevant to Americans in Thailand for as long as it takes for us to better understand what's going to happen here in regard to this new enforcement."

Throughout this April of 2014, not one of my VISA or VISA Debit charges using my US account has been approved. Even if they were to bypass the stripe on the back & punch in the numbers...authentication NOT approved. The ATM withdrawals are all fine. Also no problems with Wire transfer or opening accounts as I just walked into Bangkok Bank today & easily opened a new account. Seems only Credit transactions using a US bank regardless if it's a Debit card are blocked.

1st off checked with my US Bank(s) & there's no holds/pending/insufficient funds/blocks or any problems on the US side. Actually, with all declined charges (many times buying from the Thai International Markets or Tesco/Lotus or any of the large shopping centers), including tests I did for just 500-1000 baht charges, the US Bank(s) reported there was NO history of such transactions.

Luckily "Agoda" & "Booking.com" aren't Thai companies, I was able to book my accommodations for an upcoming trip, but my "Nok Air" (Thai Airline) booking was refused due to "Credit Card Error". Had to do it the old fashion way & book the trip using "Counter Service"....withdrawal from the ATM & pay at 7/11. "Air Asia" also still works as it's not a Thai airline.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't hurt for US travelers to know there is an real crack down on the Gov "wanting to know where the money is or going", to be prepared, thus have enough ATM access to cash rather than just relying on Credit Cards.

You are starting rumors. Shi* stirring. No one else is having any problems. It is a very chicken littleish thing to do.

What real crack down are you talking about specifically? Has anyone else experienced it? Did you ask your US bank why they were declining (if they were declining) charges in Thailand?

Come back and tell us why your US bank is not honoring charges in Thailand.

Every now and then, I had trouble booking online with the airlines while in Thailand,

It was not the banks, and in every case, it was the airline website not processing, but they sent emails the next day stating they couldnt process the payment, and to call them

other than that, why pay the fees? just ATM the cash, no?

• Like 1

whistling.gif To be fair to the U.S. banks, they want to continue business with U.S. customers as they have for some time.

But as I was told by a banker, the new regulations are 900 pages of legal language.

And some parts of that 900 pages seem even to the lawyers who deal with such law to often be contradictory with other sections of the same act.

Therefore, some banks in the U.S. have just stopped their services outside of the U.S. even for long time customers, at least until their lawyers can clarify what they recommend what the Bank can do.

Right now the large banks and credit card issuers are trying to get a take on that 900 pages of contradictory legal babble that the U.S. Congress passed and trying to understand what they can and cannot do legally to provide service to their customers.

Even the lawyers are confused, and this new laws almost certainly will need to be resolved in court cases to determine exactly what can be done legally.

My small bank in New England, for example, will do longer do wire transfers outside the U.S unless they have written authorization from that foreign bank for each wire transfer request.

In my case, as I was just told last week by my small U.S. bank EACH wire transfer of f funds from my U.S. account to my Bangkok Bank account will now require a written request for that wire transfer from the Bangkok Bank before it will ne approved by my U.S, bank.

It appears to ne that if you establish a U.,S. Citibank account you can still do funds transfers to Citibank Thailand.

Bank of America also still says that you can do transfers from your U.S. Bank of America account to a foreign Bank of America account with no problems.

Even my small regional New England bank that will no longer fo wire transfers out of the U.S. told me that I could use the ATM/debit card overseas for ATM funds transfers but ONLY if I get my ATM/debit card first authorized to "allow overseas use" before they will allow foreign ATM or foreign on-line use of that ATM/debit card (MasterCard based ATM/debit card).

Bottom line ..... U.S banks are not really sure what is legal and not legal to so under these new banking "standards" so what's true today may not be true tomorrow.

P.S. I am currently back in U.S. and talking to U.S. banks about transferring money (U.S. pension) to Thailand.

P.P.S As the saying goes, everything has it Pros and Cons.

Progress moves things forward and makes things better

But then (in the U.S.) we also have the U.S. Congress.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

Can't hurt for US travelers to know there is an real crack down on the Gov "wanting to know where the money is or going", to be prepared, thus have enough ATM access to cash rather than just relying on Credit Cards.

You are starting rumors. Shi* stirring. No one else is having any problems. It is a very chicken littleish thing to do.

What real crack down are you talking about specifically? Has anyone else experienced it? Did you ask your US bank why they were declining (if they were declining) charges in Thailand?

Read the OP, no charges were reported to the US Bank(s), all transactions stopped at the initial processing point -Thai Banks.

whistling.gif To be fair to the U.S. banks, they want to continue business with U.S. customers as they have for some time.

But as I was told by a banker, the new regulations are 900 pages of legal language.

And some parts of that 900 pages seem even to the lawyers who deal with such law to often be contradictory with other sections of the same act.

Therefore, some banks in the U.S. have just stopped their services outside of the U.S. even for long time customers, at least until their lawyers can clarify what they recommend what the Bank can do.

Right now the large banks and credit card issuers are trying to get a take on that 900 pages of contradictory legal babble that the U.S. Congress passed and trying to understand what they can and cannot do legally to provide service to their customers.

Even the lawyers are confused, and this new laws almost certainly will need to be resolved in court cases to determine exactly what can be done legally.

My small bank in New England, for example, will do longer do wire transfers outside the U.S unless they have written authorization from that foreign bank for each wire transfer request.

In my case, as I was just told last week by my small U.S. bank EACH wire transfer of f funds from my U.S. account to my Bangkok Bank account will now require a written request for that wire transfer from the Bangkok Bank before it will ne approved by my U.S, bank.

It appears to ne that if you establish a U.,S. Citibank account you can still do funds transfers to Citibank Thailand.

Bank of America also still says that you can do transfers from your U.S. Bank of America account to a foreign Bank of America account with no problems.

Even my small regional New England bank that will no longer fo wire transfers out of the U.S. told me that I could use the ATM/debit card overseas for ATM funds transfers but ONLY if I get my ATM/debit card first authorized to "allow overseas use" before they will allow foreign ATM or foreign on-line use of that ATM/debit card (MasterCard based ATM/debit card).

Bottom line ..... U.S banks are not really sure what is legal and not legal to so under these new banking "standards" so what's true today may not be true tomorrow.

P.S. I am currently back in U.S. and talking to U.S. banks about transferring money (U.S. pension) to Thailand.

P.P.S As the saying goes, everything has it Pros and Cons.

Progress moves things forward and makes things better

But then (in the U.S.) we also have the U.S. Congress.

rolleyes.gif

Have BofA as well as a secondary account, but with "other fees" the $45 wire transfer went to $60 in the past year. Appreciate if you have any other Bank locale advice.

Read the OP, no charges were reported to the US Bank(s), all transactions stopped at the initial processing point -Thai Banks.

You tried to buy something with an American bank card in Thailand and the store refused the card? You could get cash with the card but the store refused to sell you merchandise?

Hubby just used our U.S. issued VISA card this afternoon at Tops Supermarket in Chiang Mai to buy food for tonight's dinner. No one that we've talked with in Chiang Mai seems to be having a problem.

Edited by NancyL

I wonder if the OP's bank is actually being very security conscious. I get declined every time I book online with Tiger Air, but immediately get a text message and an email asking to contact the bank (An Australian bank). After ringing the bank and satisfying them that I am who I say I am, they overide the block for 2 hours and the transaction is accepted next time I try.

For those that have no problem, their banks might have more lax security.

Although it's a nuisance, I feel good that the bank is trying very hard to beat fraud.

Edited by Seastallion
  • Like 2

As for oz893's asssertion that U.S. credit cards can't be used on-line with Thai companies -- no problem!

Just bought two tickets on-line to see Noah at a SF Cinema in Chiang Mai, using my U.S.-issued VISA credit card. Had to go thru the little "verified by Visa" routine where I input the password I set up a while back with my U.S. credit union to use for on-line purchases.

I've never bought movie tickets on-line. It was a very easy process. Thanks, oz893 for pushing me into the 21 century. I was looking for an opportunity to prove to myself that my U.S.-issued credit card was still good for on-line purchases in Thailand. Hubby's happy, too. We don't have to go to the theater so early and wait in line.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

I use a VISA and AMEX card from US credit unions for most all my major purchases.....gas, restaurants, Tesco, HomePro, dentist, hospital, etc. On rare occasion, my AMEX card won't clear the store's machine, I pull out my VISA and all's well. Similarly, I just did a Schwab-NY Bangkok Bank-Bangkok Bank Udon transfer for $9500......no problems. All's normal normal.

I don't know what the OP is going on about. All throughout April, Hubby and I have been merrily using our US-credit union issued VISA card throughout Chiang Mai, as usual, charging groceries at Tops and Rim Ping supermarkets, paying our monthly bill at Truevisions, buying clothes at Central, getting toys at IT City, etc. About 20 purchases, total value about $1000. It's just an ordinary month for us and nobody has said anything was amiss.

I've used my US cards at Villa, Big C and a small shop at the Outlet Mall in Pattaya in the past month with no issues.

Just because the O/P has problems with his credit/debit cards, that doesn't elevate this to an International incident here at the farang fantasy factory and what relevance this would have to bank account info reporting is even more of a trip down the conspiracy cabal road.

Think this maybe a repercussion from the new US FATCA law/enforcement.

You need to realize how much you're embarrassing yourself.

BE PREPARED!

Mars01.gif

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Visa and Mastercard are ok but no where near the same league as American Express. I have had both for +/- 35 years. The problems I have had with Amex I can count on one hand. The problems with Visa and Mastercard I need all my fingers and toes plus a few knuckles. I know fewer places take Amex and I know the card fee is a bit higher but in the long run you will have fewer problems.

• Like 1

Just a heads up to be aware. More of a note to Tourists traveling...the need too be aware. And it's not my US bank or Banks. Maybe different with US Banks that have branch locations in Thailand.

You're just fabricating this as you go along, aren't you? You may have had a problem with a credit card, but why that requires a heads up for everyone or an alert to "be aware" defies all logic. It's obviously your problem, not Visa, not all Americans and not because of some totally unrelated banking issue.

Maybe a little too much Songkran for someone.

Edited by Suradit69

How much were you spending? And was it a debit or credit card.

I have run into a limit on the Thai bank doing the card processing on debit card transactions in the past. (I'm British, not American and the solution was to use a credit card instead). That was simply a limit the Thai card processor had, so, like you, my bank knew nothing about the declined transaction.

The limit was over £1,000 though. (flights for the family to the UK for a holiday).

The bigger problem I've had is simply that some Thai companies (True for instance) have a limited counter service where they simply don't take foreign cards (although you can set up automatic debits through a foreign card over the phone).