USA Travelers, tourists...heads up using US VISA cards with all Thailand Companies, BE PREPARED!

kimbathewhitelion

It is very disturbing to see rumor/rumours spread without references to specific links/authentification. This whole thread starts out with panic alarms and misinformation.......causing needless concern..

Call your bank/card issuing company first....it is always because they suspect fraud. A phone call clarifies that you are actually you, and the card is taken off the "flagged list". I called ahead this year...one month before I thought I would be returning to the States. They extended my overseas status for another year.......

If I had not done that, my card would be rejected everywhere.

• Like 2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, oz893 it was good of you to come back and let us know that it was a problem just between you and your bank and not a vast conspiracy on the part of the U.S. gov't to deny you the use of your money and freedom of movement around the globe. It would have been easy just to slink away.

But your original post was the height of paranoia, wasn't it? Somehow you managed to work FBAR and FATCA into the fact that you had communication problems with your bank.

What is amazing, too, is the number of people who were eager to jump on the same train with you!

Wouldn't it have been more responsible to title the thread "Anyone having problems with their US-issued credit card?" and using it to gather information about why you might be having a problem, rather than sounding the alarm? Most of us who are living overseas have experienced the same problem you're having at least once.

My most recent case was when our U.K.-based health insurance company tried to charge our annual premium this year. It was denied because the credit card company "thinks" we're in Thailand, not the U.K. A simple phone call took care of the problem and the charge went thru. No need to think the U.S. gov't was behind the denial of the charge!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The bigger problem I've had is simply that some Thai companies (True for instance) have a limited counter service where they simply don't take foreign cards (although you can set up automatic debits through a foreign card over the phone).

Not True. I pay our True bill every month at a mall in Chiang Mai using my foreign-issued credit card. You just need to go to a full-service True location. Sounds like you have a mini-True limited counter service location.

I pay True every month with US Visa at full service location, paid yesterday.

There are also two forms that are supposed to be filled out each year by US citizens...to inform the IRS of any money you have in any bank overseas...this is not part of the yearly income tax forms...and must be submitted separately...BIG BROTHER wants to know all of your banking transactions...you can google it to get the form names...not to mention that the US now has a staff of full time IRS agents in BKK...to further harass the ex-pats...no place to run...no place to hide...

Where is the full staff of IRS agents working in BKK? I'm searching Google, US Embassy and see nothing. IRS website still only indicates Frankfurt, London, Paris and Bejing.

Read an article of an interview with the BKK IRS office manager last year...I was shocked...to think the US would extend its need for greed this far...sorry do not remember which paper published the article...

"Googled" and this is the IRS statement: While the IRS does not have offices in Thailand, we serve clients all over Thailand and the United States from offices in Bangkok, Sydney, Auckland and Sarasota Florida.

So...while they claim they do not have an office in Thailand...they can serve US citizens from offices located in Bangkok...

You can not make this stuff up!

The above client service statement does exist on a private company website so I agree, you can't make this stuff up. People sure do misrepresent in order to feed the machine though. Sad.

Read an article of an interview with the BKK IRS office manager last year...I was shocked...to think the US would extend its need for greed this far...sorry do not remember which paper published the article...

There are also two forms that are supposed to be filled out each year by US citizens...to inform the IRS of any money you have in any bank overseas...this is not part of the yearly income tax forms...and must be submitted separately...BIG BROTHER wants to know all of your banking transactions...you can google it to get the form names...not to mention that the US now has a staff of full time IRS agents in BKK...to further harass the ex-pats...no place to run...no place to hide...

"Googled" and this is the IRS statement: While the IRS does not have offices in Thailand, we serve clients all over Thailand and the United States from offices in Bangkok, Sydney, Auckland and Sarasota Florida.

So...while they claim they do not have an office in Thailand...they can serve US citizens from offices located in Bangkok...

You can not make this stuff up!

The above client service statement does exist on a private company website so I agree, you can't make this stuff up. People sure do misrepresent in order to feed the machine though. Sad.

United States Thailand Tax Service is a boutique international tax firm, focused on assisting expatriates, with United States, tax planning, consulting, and return preparation where there is a connection with the United States and Thailand. While the IRS does not have offices in Thailand, we serve.........

1st off checked with my US Bank(s) & there's no holds/pending/insufficient funds/blocks or any problems on the US side. Actually, with all declined charges (many times buying from the Thai International Markets or Tesco/Lotus or any of the large shopping centers), including tests I did for just 500-1000 baht charges, the US Bank(s) reported there was NO history of such transactions.

Somewhat similar to this, I've tried to top up my True H sim card to keep it alive through their website. It goes to a Kasikorn payment hub, where it will even pop up a Verified by Visa sign in for a card that I've tried. I have tried 3 different cards and none of them has gone through, including a Mastercard.

So I called the credit card companies, and they had no record of the attempts to make the charge. The Kasikorn website said declined, please contact your bank, or something along those lines.

They ask for quite a bit of information on the website including which country the card issuer is located, then after selecting US, it has a pull down off all US banks in there, so there's no way to mistype which bank. Also asks for the cvv code.

However, I did try this last year and just recently. So the first effort was far in advance of FATCA. There clearly is something on the Thai end that prevented the charge from even being attempted. One time I even put a travel notification on a card before trying it, and that made no difference. It didn't even show up as an attempt.

I can't speak for True Move H...

But just recently, using the DTAC website and my DTAC online account, I used one of my U.S. credit cards to top up a DTAC prepaid SIM. It went thru the Verified by Visa process and the purchase went thru fine. No complications or hassles. I can't remember for certain, but I believe the purchasing portal went thru either BKK Bank or Kasikorn Bank...

I can't speak for True Move H...

But just recently, using the DTAC website and my DTAC online account, I used one of my U.S. credit cards to top up a DTAC prepaid SIM. It went thru the Verified by Visa process and the purchase went thru fine. No complications or hassles. I can't remember for certain, but I believe the purchasing portal went thru either BKK Bank or Kasikorn Bank...

Just tried it again with 2 different cards and no go. Though I did try a US Bank card and that one gave a new error of "Failed Authentication". The other gave the one I always get:

"Reject: Refer to Card Issuer. Sorry this transaction cannot be completed "

Well, oz893 it was good of you to come back and let us know that it was a problem just between you and your bank and not a vast conspiracy on the part of the U.S. gov't to deny you the use of your money and freedom of movement around the globe. It would have been easy just to slink away.

But your original post was the height of paranoia, wasn't it? Somehow you managed to work FBAR and FATCA into the fact that you had communication problems with your bank.

What is amazing, too, is the number of people who were eager to jump on the same train with you!

Wouldn't it have been more responsible to title the thread "Anyone having problems with their US-issued credit card?" and using it to gather information about why you might be having a problem, rather than sounding the alarm? Most of us who are living overseas have experienced the same problem you're having at least once.

My most recent case was when our U.K.-based health insurance company tried to charge our annual premium this year. It was denied because the credit card company "thinks" we're in Thailand, not the U.K. A simple phone call took care of the problem and the charge went thru. No need to think the U.S. gov't was behind the denial of the charge!

You are quite entitled to stick your head in the sand. This has been going on since the introduction of the Patriot Act. It started with forex brokers closing down American accounts, and then spread to international banks closing down accounts.

Wether you like it or not the actions of the US government will bring repercussions.

I am not a US citizen, but here is a wee problem I had with my UK issued Visa card.

I have always paid my hospital bills using the same Visa card without a problem until last month. When I presented my card for payment the input pos terminal displayed transaction refused. When I insisted that I had paid dozens of times in the past without a problem I eventually managed to get the clerk to try another terminal.
Hey presto, no problem - accepted first time. Turns out that the problem was with the pos terminal used. The first one was SCB = refused. the second was K Bank = accepted. I have since been back and had a Bangkok Bank terminal accept the card first time too.

I am not a US citizen, but here is a wee problem I had with my UK issued Visa card.

I have always paid my hospital bills using the same Visa card without a problem until last month. When I presented my card for payment the input pos terminal displayed transaction refused. When I insisted that I had paid dozens of times in the past without a problem I eventually managed to get the clerk to try another terminal.

Hey presto, no problem - accepted first time. Turns out that the problem was with the pos terminal used. The first one was SCB = refused. the second was K Bank = accepted. I have since been back and had a Bangkok Bank terminal accept the card first time too.

Exactly true. For example, I need to disable Ghostery add-on for Firefox in order for my online banking to get me logged in with the security questions option. Banks are going to extremes to protect online data. Many browsers and/or security features of a particular browser/add-on or security software my not allow the bank to communicate effectively.... I am guessing that it does not accept their cookies. Three failed attempts may get you locked out.

Completely off topic, but when they named pos systems, they really got the initials right.

1st off checked with my US Bank(s) & there's no holds/pending/insufficient funds/blocks or any problems on the US side. Actually, with all declined charges (many times buying from the Thai International Markets or Tesco/Lotus or any of the large shopping centers), including tests I did for just 500-1000 baht charges, the US Bank(s) reported there was NO history of such transactions.

Somewhat similar to this, I've tried to top up my True H sim card to keep it alive through their website. It goes to a Kasikorn payment hub, where it will even pop up a Verified by Visa sign in for a card that I've tried. I have tried 3 different cards and none of them has gone through, including a Mastercard.

So I called the credit card companies, and they had no record of the attempts to make the charge. The Kasikorn website said declined, please contact your bank, or something along those lines.

They ask for quite a bit of information on the website including which country the card issuer is located, then after selecting US, it has a pull down off all US banks in there, so there's no way to mistype which bank. Also asks for the cvv code.

However, I did try this last year and just recently. So the first effort was far in advance of FATCA. There clearly is something on the Thai end that prevented the charge from even being attempted. One time I even put a travel notification on a card before trying it, and that made no difference. It didn't even show up as an attempt.

You need to get yourself set up with a "Verified by Visa" password. I can't remember exactly how I did it. I think when you see this sign-in screen you're given the option to click on a link that tells you how to do obtain a Verified by Visa password. As I recall, I called my credit union, the financial institution which issued the card and they explained it to me. The credit card company -- the number on the back of the card -- was no help at all. Of course they'd have no record of an attempt to make the charge; it was never made. My memory of this is a little fuzzy, I did it a couple years ago. It was a PITA at the time, but once I got it resolved, the websites that use the Kasikorn payment hub, and the Verified by Visa routine aren't a problem.

Again, nothing whatsoever to do with FATCA. It's just another security measure in place.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

I have a Canadian Visa card that I have not been able to get a cash advance from a Thai ATM for a year now. I have phoned my card company in Canada several times, and they have said there was no problem on their end. If I go inside the bank and ask for a cash advance I get it no problem, but not from their machine.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Correction & Apologizes to Tourists for the hasty post. Members, well, too many Trolls to sort thru.

I 'higher up' representative called me last night from the East Coast HQ. Apparently previous information provided by the lower-end representatives were incomplete. This was just happening to me, at some point (probably just before April) my overseas status was removed from my account. Though the ATM was working all Credit Transactions were blocked. Still wasn't explained why they were blocked before leaving Thailand thus no records with the US Bank & also doesn't explain why it was only happening in Thailand. But the Rep said he reapplied the overseas status & everything should be fine now. Haven't tried yet. But letting it go just the same.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sorry, retract "Trolls" and replace with "only those Idiots members who don't read the OP & just post irrelevant information"

If there is an Admin around, please close the post.

You should not call members idiots because they did not ready through the entire thread before making a comment. Allot of us work during the day so only read posts later and post a comment before reading through 3-4 pages. calling someone like me an "idiot" because I posted before I read the complete post is wrong. I dont always have time to read all the pages which most of the time is dribble bickering between members. I think another apology is due.

No apology for someone implying I said something that I didn't or that I don't know how to travel outside my own country. But if I did travel so far without informing my bank, ATM access would also be blocked. I would get a message at the ATM display advising me to contact my bank. But to be polite, I will agree to retract that term, "Idiots" and replace it with "mis-informed, slow, forgetful or just lazy".

Otherwise, apology to the tourists, but as far as most members, they're already well informed enough to read & then shrug it off. What's left is as you say, many bickering members (irrelevant) or people talking about something that is a non-discussion point to the OP (like you, no offense).

I have a Canadian Visa card that I have not been able to get a cash advance from a Thai ATM for a year now. I have phoned my card company in Canada several times, and they have said there was no problem on their end. If I go inside the bank and ask for a cash advance I get it no problem, but not from their machine.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a friend here with the same problem. Contacting the credit card company number on the back of the card isn't going to solve the problem. You need to contact the financial institution that issued the card.

Actually, I still do, just letting it go right now. Doing the w/d & paying at 7/11 is no big deal. Per my follow up post, there was no explanation WHY all credit transactions are blocked before leaving Thailand, i.e. stopping at the authorization process at the cash register or blocked at the "verifying payment" point after submitting payment via a Thai company website. I can still use the credit (VISA) transactions with the (tested) neighboring countries. Nothing has changed, but just have doubts now & with such have to withdrawal my claims.

A little clarification, I wasn't blaming the US Gov, based on the law, was blaming the confusion created here in Thailand over understanding the new law which directly affects US citizens & overseas banks. Though a bit disappointed, most US laws & bills are very long & overly complicated with little explanation.

Hope you got your anger out now, can almost see those little white spittle clumps forming at the corners of your mouth.

Actually, I still do, just letting it go right now. Doing the w/d & paying at 7/11 is no big deal. Per my follow up post, there was no explanation WHY all credit transactions are blocked before leaving Thailand, i.e. stopping at the authorization process at the cash register or blocked at the "verifying payment" point after submitting payment via a Thai company website. I can still use the credit (VISA) transactions with the (tested) neighboring countries. Nothing has changed, but just have doubts now & with such have to withdrawal my claims.

A little clarification, I wasn't blaming the US Gov, based on the law, was blaming the confusion created here in Thailand over understanding the new law which directly affects US citizens & overseas banks. Though a bit disappointed, most US laws & bills are very long & overly complicated with little explanation.

Hope you got your anger out now, can almost see those little white spittle clumps forming at the corners of your mouth.

What kind of world do you come from where it is appropriate when you make an error to attack others with words like, "those little white spittle clumps forming at the corners of your mouth."

You make me ashamed to be an American. bah.gif

• Like 1

What kind of world do you come from where it is appropriate when you make an error to attack others with words like, "those little white spittle clumps forming at the corners of your mouth."

Your shame is yours alone, where I come from, it's called polite sarcasm.

Actually OZ, your post wasn't too bad in a sea of tin foil hat brigaders who never let a good crisis, real or imagined, go to waste.

Never the less, be on the lookout for a full staff of IRS agents assigned to Bangkok. They are watching. And waiting. crazy.gif

Your shame is yours alone, where I come from, it's called polite sarcasm.

Ya I can understand that. You don't know how to post and the style is definitely not from America.

Se ya, OZ say hi to the tin man.

Oh my goodness! I'm going to ignore that amazingly petty attack from oz893 and simply answer his question.

Obviously he doesn't read my posts very well. I'm very obviously an American, with a U.S. credit card from a U.S. credit union. They don't have "credit unions" in the U.K. I have a U.K. based health insurance company -- the coverage is good everywhere in the world except the U.S. I know at least twenty other Americans in Chiang Mai who are covered by the same company. In case you hadn't heard, Medicare doesn't provide coverage outside the U.S.

The depth of oz893's ignorance about the U.S. gov't, its programs and how U.S. citizens living overseas should prepare themselves is amazing. He's the last one who should be "sounding a warning" for US travelers and tourists. Apparently he thinks that Medicare is going to pay for health care for U.S. citizens overseas!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

I've used my Chase Bank Visa everywhere with no problems and the great thing is Chase no longer has a foreign

transaction fee on international charges.... saves me a lot of money + I get frequent flier miles for every $clap2.gif

Just be sure to make the charge in Thai baht not US dollars and you get the best exchange rate as well.

Which Chase card do you have that has no foreign transaction fee? I was aware that the Sapphire card and some co-branded travel cards did not have these fees. All of my Chase cards still charge a foreign transaction fee. It would be nice to find more cards that don't have this fee.

In regards to FATCA and the supposed demise of the US Dollar on July 1:

On a recent flight I spoke with a gentleman who works with the Bank of Thailand. I asked him about FATCA and Thai banking compliance and he was of the opinion that it was not a big deal. It seems like none of the banks are opting out of reporting and not only that they will not have to report directly to the US IRS. They will be reporting to some Thai authority that they already report to and this entity or some another government entity will then aggregate these reports and send them to the IRS.

Grin

• Like 1

I've used my Chase Bank Visa everywhere with no problems and the great thing is Chase no longer has a foreign

transaction fee on international charges.... saves me a lot of money + I get frequent flier miles for every $clap2.gif

Just be sure to make the charge in Thai baht not US dollars and you get the best exchange rate as well.

Which Chase card do you have that has no foreign transaction fee? I was aware that the Sapphire card and some co-branded travel cards did not have these fees. All of my Chase cards still charge a foreign transaction fee. It would be nice to find more cards that don't have this fee.

In regards to FATCA and the supposed demise of the US Dollar on July 1:

On a recent flight I spoke with a gentleman who works with the Bank of Thailand. I asked him about FATCA and Thai banking compliance and he was of the opinion that it was not a big deal. It seems like none of the banks are opting out of reporting and not only that they will not have to report directly to the US IRS. They will be reporting to some Thai authority that they already report to and this entity or some another government entity will then aggregate these reports and send them to the IRS.

Grin

Interesting, thanks.

On the first part, check out the Banking thread where you'll find relevant suggestions for cards sans FTF. I've been using Capital One here, no FT Fee and an OK Rewards plan.

Australians make you ashamed to be American? Doesn't take a lot for you.

Australians make you ashamed to be American? Doesn't take a lot for you.

Jeepers is he an Aussie? That explains it then. I thought he was an American.

Oh my goodness! I'm going to ignore that amazingly petty attack from oz893 and simply answer his question.

Obviously he doesn't read my posts very well. I'm very obviously an American, with a U.S. credit card from a U.S. credit union. They don't have "credit unions" in the U.K. I have a U.K. based health insurance company -- the coverage is good everywhere in the world except the U.S. I know at least twenty other Americans in Chiang Mai who are covered by the same company. In case you hadn't heard, Medicare doesn't provide coverage outside the U.S.

The depth of oz893's ignorance about the U.S. gov't, its programs and how U.S. citizens living overseas should prepare themselves is amazing. He's the last one who should be "sounding a warning" for US travelers and tourists. Apparently he thinks that Medicare is going to pay for health care for U.S. citizens overseas!

You just stated many things which I never even mentioned, how can there be ignorance when there was no discussion. Two things really only discussed. FATCA which does exist & what is happening to me & the big no explanation of why, are true as with all real life experiences. Everything else was a result of and/or for discussion. Not ignorance, so left-wing liberal of you. What's the point to having freedom of speech if your discussions & opinions have to be limited to other people set values or fall under the microscope of censorship. Little extra drama, I admit, but was seriously worried. After all, only Thailand was being singled out.

"Also didn't bother reading your posts because, why would I? Saw you use the term "conspiracy" at some point & also go into off topic issues, like "transfers" or ATM usage, just ignored you. But I didn't put a spin on those of which you threw lies at me. Quit your bashing & reply in the "yes I'm not senile yet" normal attitude or leave & go back to counting your medicine.